Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #1

7 passenger toad

Anybody have a seven passenger toad? Ideally under 5k pounds and able to be flat towed. Not sure such a beast exists but there are a lot of cars out there. I have a Nissan NV but it’s RWD and a little on the heavy side.
galnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #2

We pull a 2013 Ford Flex. Can be configured for 8, but we have the 6 option.
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:37 PM   #3

that's a pretty tall order, though I would imagine that a Dodge/Chrysler GrandCaravan would be a good vehicle, and probably light enough, but not sure it is towable 4-down... certainly tow-dolly worthy, though.... I've seen quite a few of them behind motorhomes.

Ford vehicles, like our front wheel drive automatic Fiesta and Focus are towable, and you could look into whether the SUVs are also... but a large SUV is required if you want to fit 7, of course, as commented above, but it could be too heavy.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #4

I used to tow a Chrysler Town & Country. I did have to install a transmission lube pump in addition to base plate, M&G Engineering toad brake system and wiring. It weighs somewhere around 4658 pounds.

Here is a list of vehicles that are towable:

https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #5

We pull a 2011 GMC Acadia that holds 7. It tows fine. I have seen other people claim that you have to be careful with the battery draining since the key needs to be turned on but we haven't had an issue but we haven't' taken very long trips. We usually tow the jeep unless we know we'll need the extra passenger room.
gjgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out the Honda Odyessey
gimblerotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:28 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies and for the link to that guide. That thing has a ton of good info. It looks like there is a steep learning curve here so I think I will hold off on trading in the nv for something smaller until I can learn the ropes and shop tow bars and supplemental braking systems etc.
galnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by galnar View Post
Thanks for the replies and for the link to that guide. That thing has a ton of good info. It looks like there is a steep learning curve here so I think I will hold off on trading in the nv for something smaller until I can learn the ropes and shop tow bars and supplemental braking systems etc.
That sounds like a plan. Good luck and ask this group any questions . You are sure to get multiple answers.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:51 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
My Lincoln MKT seats 7 and drives like a dream. The third row seats are not for 6 footers, but the smaller folks have not complained about the seating back there. Weight is about 4900 lbs.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:01 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't help with the question but wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #11

We just set up our 2017 Explorer that seats 7 to tow behind our coach. Check your weights as you will be at 5k lbs. Ours came in at 4,942lbs at the scales and if your coach actually has the full 5k lbs available without cutting into your GVWR allowance. Some say 5,000lbs max tow but when your compare the total GVWR to GCWR there is more like 4,000lbs between the two which means you would need to reduce your total GVWR to stay within GCWR. For example our 2017 Flair has a GVWR of 18,000lbs and a GCWR of 23,000lbs which gives us a true 5,000lbs max tow rating before having to reduce our cargo weights. Always cross the cat scales to see your true weights. For us with this set up, ready to camp we were at 22,150 lbs Gross combined weight with the Explorer so we have a little wiggle room before maxing out. With that said our combo tows great with our gasser and only noticed it slightly when climbing a decent grade vs non towing. If you have a DP you would probably not even know it’s there at all. Best of luck!

Tags
toad