Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #1

7" round headlight looking for LED option

I am looking for peoples recommendations regarding an LED replacement for my 7" round headlights.

I have found several options on line, but i also note that the actual light pattern on some of those options are not optimal for night driving.

So looking for some experienced input with peoples experiences.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
I am looking for peoples recommendations regarding an LED replacement for my 7" round headlights.

I have found several options on line, but i also note that the actual light pattern on some of those options are not optimal for night driving.

So looking for some experienced input with peoples experiences.
ftodaro,
Well, over on one of the Jeep JK web forums, there's oh, about a few thousand discussions on LED headlights and, what's good, what's bad, what's junk. They are getting better every day. Of course, you get what you pay for. Suffice to say, I wouldn't jump on anything less than around $300 a set. The beam pattern, dark spots, coverage, "cut off line" are all important here. Another thing, if you have daytime running lights at present, that could present a problem. You see, in many cases, Daytime running lights run at considerably less voltage than normal head lights do. So feeding LED headlights with less than appropriate voltage is not good for them.

But, when you get a chance, take a look at this website:

https://www.quadratec.com/categories...d%20headlights

While it is a website for Jeeps, a 7" round headlight, is a 7" round headlight, period. The headlight doesn't care what vehicle it's on. If you get serious, you'll have to determine just which type of plug you have on yours so that you can get the appropriate adapter plug, if needed.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:51 PM   #3

I've got Quadratec LED's on my Jeep. Good price and a decent pattern. I assume these are of the motorhome so you might have to order a special harness or wire your own.

But as was mentioned above, a 7-inch round headlight is a 7-inch round head light. There might be other options besides those intended for Jeeps but whatever you do, don't just order a set off ebay. You don't know what you're getting. Hence, the Jeep forums. Quadratec is for Jeeps only but other brands (KC, JW Speaker, Trucklite, etc.) aren't Jeep specific and may offer wiring harnesses that will work with your rig.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:50 AM   #4

Frank-

One of the first place I look for vehicle lighting is the Peterson Manufacturing site. Here is the link to their page for LED headlights:

Vehicle Safety Light| LED Lights - Peterson Manufacturing Company

Peterson seems committed to making products that meet or exceed certification requirements. Here is a link to a site that sells a pair of the 701C headlights.

A second place I look is Hella. I could not find any 7-inch LED replacements that were listed for on-road use.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:16 AM   #5

Thanks for all your comments and recommendations. I have been looking at these for my motorhome and as you all point out the light patter and wiring is the key issue to figure out. I do not have day time running lights. I do have 5 inch round fog lights that i might want to convert also. You can never have to much light pointing in the right direction.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:52 AM   #6

Before changing headlights, check the voltage at the bulb. Some motorhomes have significant voltage drop at the lights, and headlight performance can be significantly improved by adding relays that route power from the chassis battery. I did this last year and the difference was amazing.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/...ys/relays.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
Thanks for all your comments and recommendations. I have been looking at these for my motorhome and as you all point out the light patter and wiring is the key issue to figure out. I do not have day time running lights. I do have 5 inch round fog lights that i might want to convert also. You can never have to much light pointing in the right direction.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light