Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #15

if this unit has air brakes,there is not anything but tires to be concerned about.even the tires should be good for 1 or 2 years.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 08:11 AM   #16

If you think the price is right, go for it, 8,000 miles is not even a complete break in for some of the engine components.

Be prepared to do a complete service, and possibly if not before the first trip but soon after, most of the rubber items under the hood. I would try and get belt numbers directly off the belts on the coach now if they are still readable.

Don't forget the generator. Check the oil level and condition before you crank it up, unless the owner can give you some idea of the last service on it, and you are comfortable with what is reveled.

Fill and dump the waste tanks to make sure you don't get surprised by a seal or stoppage problem after the sale.

Check the inside side walls of the tires, you should get a good indication of how much longer you can safely use those tires.

All in all, I'd consider this coach a good find.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
I wouldn't freak out over the low mileage. The owners may have made many short trips rather than long ones. I doubt I'll put 8000 miles on mine in 7 years. I try to go camping at least 6 times a year, but I rarely go further than a couple hundred miles each trip.

I'd question the owner how it was used and go from there. Heck, they may have just replaced all those items people are worried about.
Ditto times 2. You can inspect anything to death and all you are going to do is waste money. Whatever is working today can go on the fritz tomorrow. Make sure all the systems are currently working. I would do an oil change unless the owner just did one.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
This is my take on this also, low miles does not mean it has just been sitting and rotting. Check it out closer and get some information on how it has been used.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!
It always cracks me up when folks "run away" from a low mileage, few year old coach, just because it has the LOW MILEAGE! Geeeeze, unless that coach has been sitting in swamp due to Katrina, then simply INSPECT IT!! Look it over good. Start that engine, get it to operating temp, run it down the road, listen to it, feel the brakes, make it steer from side to side, run the dash A/C, heat, lights, and any other engine controlled system.

Test the exhaust brake or, Jake (Compression brake if it has one). Feel the shifts in the transmission, listen and feel for noises while at different speeds. And do whatever tests are needed to make you feel confident in purchasing it.

Then do all the coach tests. Run the house A/C and heat. Make the thermostat do its job. Run the toilet, which means running the water pump and check for leaks. Check to see if the pump holds pressure, that is, will it build pressure and hold without cycling which, could indicate a leak some place if the pump cycles on an every-so-often basis without you opening a faucet.

Open and close all the drawers to check for proper operation and, no broken drawer glides or drawer components. Make the propane system work, check all the burners on the stove and the water heater. Climb up on the roof, (if you are able to, if not, GET SOMEONE YOU TRUST TO DO IT FOR YOU) and look it over good.

I could go on but, suffice to say, to run from a coach that's a few years old just because it has low mileage is well, to me, a bit crazy.

If there's something OBVIOUS, that could or looks like it has serious potential for expenditure at a close date, well, that's a decision you'll have to make. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!
It always cracks me up when folks "run away" from a low mileage, few year old coach, just because it has the LOW MILEAGE! Geeeeze, unless that coach has been sitting in swamp due to Katrina, then simply INSPECT IT!! Look it over good. Start that engine, get it to operating temp, run it down the road, listen to it, feel the brakes, make it steer from side to side, run the dash A/C, heat, lights, and any other engine controlled system.

Test the exhaust brake or, Jake (Compression brake if it has one). Feel the shifts in the transmission, listen and feel for noises while at different speeds. And do whatever tests are needed to make you feel confident in purchasing it.

Then do all the coach tests. Run the house A/C and heat. Make the thermostat do its job. Run the toilet, which means running the water pump and check for leaks. Check to see if the pump holds pressure, that is, will it build pressure and hold without cycling which, could indicate a leak some place if the pump cycles on an every-so-often basis without you opening a faucet.

Open and close all the drawers to check for proper operation and, no broken drawer glides or drawer components. Make the propane system work, check all the burners on the stove and the water heater. Climb up on the roof, (if you are able to, if not, GET SOMEONE YOU TRUST TO DO IT FOR YOU) and look it over good.

I could go on but, suffice to say, to run from a coach that's a few years old just because it has low mileage is well, to me, a bit crazy.

If there's something OBVIOUS, that could or looks like it has serious potential for expenditure at a close date, well, that's a decision you'll have to make. Good luck.
Scott
X's 2!

Obvious repeat of other responses. But the key is condition and usage and documented maintenance. (Not documentation, assume it never happened.)

Our coach was 5-6 years old when we bought it we just under 13K miles on it. I was lucky, as the 1st owner had bought and then serviced the coach at Holland Motors in San Diego (Now San Marcos.). He authorized the Service Manager to print out all the service records for me to look over. I also got the 'as ordered and as delivered' documentations from Hollands Records.

A close look at the maintenance, indicated low but steady miles each year. And yearly maintenance, including a bath and wax, by Holland. I commented on how steady the miles were each year, + or - a small range. The salesman that first sold the coach to the owner, said he had bought it to go back and forth to Fresno for Home Football games. He said the owner had told him that they had only taken one trip with the family, to Grand Canyon. So that explained the steady miles. Also made my know he got up to operating temps several times a year too.

Full fluid analysis, along with I paid for Cummins Cal Pacific in El Cajon to do a dyno test, and full chassis engine inspection. They found some recalls and updates that were recommended, and some lose/leading oil pan bolts. They also recommended I update to differentness slobber tube (my term, not their's). So I paid for some, the owner paid for some, and Holland's Sales Staff (On consignment) also agreed to pay for some.)

So low mileage coaches in good shape, do exist and can be great values.

Now, all that being said. I would not buy a coach just because it had low miles, or was a good value - you have to feel the coach fits your needs too!

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote