Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 07:57 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
7 year old coach 8000 miles

Considering purchase of a 7 year old coach with under 8000 miles! Cummins ISC 360 engine. Appears miles were mostly in earlier years. Any input on this issue will be appreciated.
Vanha Pieru is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 08:14 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maintenance records are a high priority. If missing or incomplete consider a detailed power train inspection in addition to a reduce price offer. Without records you have know way of knowing what has occurred and when and will have to assume worst case scenario and get everything up to date. It could have original oil in the engine for all you know. Also it will probably need new tires so add that cost in to you price offer. I wouldn't walk away unless the seller is standing firm on the price.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Maintenance records are a high priority. If missing or incomplete consider a detailed power train inspection in addition to a reduce price offer. Without records you have know way of knowing what has occurred and when and will have to assume worst case scenario and get everything up to date. It could have original oil in the engine for all you know. Also it will probably need new tires so add that cost in to you price offer. I wouldn't walk away unless the seller is standing firm on the price.

Actually, it kind of depends on the asking price, doesn't it? If the price is already low, it might be worth it.

On maintenance records, there isn't a lot of maintenance required for only 8000 miles. HOWEVER, before everyone jumps down my throat, 7 YEARS DOES require maintenance. Get ahold of the chassis manufacturer and figure out all of the maintenance that should be done now, assuming that NOTHING has been done, things like belts and hoses, radiator flush and antifreeze replacement, oil/filter changes for transmission, engine, and genny, Desiccant and coalescing filter changes for the air system (assuming air brakes), Tire replacement (7 year recommended change out time), inspect thoroughly by chassis inspector and coach inspector, special attention to potential or existing leaks, and make an offer!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:26 AM   #4

7 year old coach 8000 miles

7 years and only 8,000 miles? Ouch.

You will have to replace the tires, batteries, hoses, fluids and filters. I wouldn't touch it. It has sat unused for way too long.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #5

I wouldn't freak out over the low mileage. The owners may have made many short trips rather than long ones. I doubt I'll put 8000 miles on mine in 7 years. I try to go camping at least 6 times a year, but I rarely go further than a couple hundred miles each trip.

I'd question the owner how it was used and go from there. Heck, they may have just replaced all those items people are worried about.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #6

Agree with Stang. I bought a 10 year old coach with 15,000 miles on it. Knew going in I would replace all fluids, belts, tires, etc. There are hundreds of older dp's out there with low mileage. Go in with your eyes open and realize that getting everything changed will be necessary. Having fluids tested and a good mechanic check it out would also help a lot.
znt1186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #7

I strongly recommend spending $500 or so to take it to a Freighliner dealer for a compete inspection. An engine rebuild can cost over $22,000! This isn't to mention brakes, transmission, suspension, generator etc. Most of the "house" components are standard sizes and aren't terribly expensive especially if you are handy. You need to factor in the price changing all fluids and resealing the entire roof. The freshwater system will need to be sanitized. The black and grey tanks will need to be cleaned and sanitized. Check the dump valves carefully plan on replacing them if they stick or leak. The toilet may also leak if the seals have been allowed to dry out.

It could be a good deal just be careful.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
I wouldn't freak out over the low mileage. The owners may have made many short trips rather than long ones. I doubt I'll put 8000 miles on mine in 7 years. I try to go camping at least 6 times a year, but I rarely go further than a couple hundred miles each trip.

I'd question the owner how it was used and go from there. Heck, they may have just replaced all those items people are worried about.
This is my take on this also, low miles does not mean it has just been sitting and rotting. Check it out closer and get some information on how it has been used.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #9

I picked up a 14 year old MH with 16,000 miles.

The records indicated it went to the shop every year for inspection. There was always something done to it.

Some years, the only mileage was the trip to the shop.

I bought it, freshened up the calipers and tires, then put another 16,000 miles on it in a year with no problems.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Actually, it kind of depends on the asking price, doesn't it? If the price is already low, it might be worth it.,,,
Certainly. Would be the find of the year but I'm becoming a more of the "glass is half empty" type as I get older.

Forgot something else for the OP, if you do buy lay in a supply of fuel filters before picking the coach up. No telling what's been growing in the fuel tank if they haven't been treating the fuel.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post

On maintenance records, there isn't a lot of maintenance required for only 8000 miles.
Hit_the_Rhod

Vanha Pieru
I can't see any possible way that the maintenance records of a 7 year old coach with 8000 miles could be of any value to you when making a "buy" or "don't buy" discussion about that coach.

However many of the suggestions in earlier posts should be helpful.

BTW I would much rather own a 7 year old coach with 8000 miles than my now 20 year old coach with 147,000 miles....and pages and pages of maintenance, (and repair), records.

Good luck.

Mel
'96 Safari, new to me in '01, (with 28k miles)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:59 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd certainly consider it. What's the asking price?
If there is a premium for the low miles - it needs to account for a full servicing of the thing (probably 2k+)
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
7 years and only 8,000 miles? Ouch.

You will have to replace the tires, batteries, hoses, fluids and filters. I wouldn't touch it. It has sat unused for way too long.

If that's all it needs, it should be a full green light. That's chump change when put in perspective

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:14 AM   #14

...get it checked out thoroughly. Then get all the maintenance done from scratch. Without out a couple shakedown trips, you will never know what needs to be serviced --- what's working or not.

Good luck!

~George
Road_King is offline   Reply With Quote