RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 03:09 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
$700 for motor and generator oil changes????

We just took our 2015 Tiffin 40’ QBH diesel in to have the oil changed for the motor and for the generator. The bill was $700 here outside the Seattle area.
We are here only for the holidays so usually get the coach serviced elsewhere. Last engine service, April 18th in Ft Lauderdale, was $384 for engine and $100 for the generator.
Does anyone know why the difference is so large? Even San Diego doesn’t cost that much. Has the price gone up so much in the last few months or is it just this area?
We just looked thru some older records and found that in June 2016, we paid $651 for engine oil change only again in this general Seattle area.
But in August 2017 in Coburn, Oregon we paid just $399 for engine oil change.
So no oil changes for us in Washington state!
Does anyone else change their own oil in their diesel pusher without specialized equipment? I am 70 years old and it would be hard for me if I had to get under the coach to change it.

dmcquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 03:42 AM   #2

A lot of them do and many others use Speedco or Petro / Flying J speed lube shops.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:10 AM   #3

That does seem excessive for 2 hours worth of work. But materials for this job, 2 oil filters, 8 gallons oil, 2 fuel filters for engine, one for generator will come to almost $300. And don't forget the disposal fees. Shop rates are pushing $160/hr at some places.

Speedco is talked about a lot here on this forum. I would try them or if not available I would try a truck shop. Get the chassis lube at the same time. Avoid Cummins.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:21 AM   #4
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Here's how others have answered this question in the past.
https://www.google.com/search?ei=PYk...71.b_KT59YKoDw
TEAM Martin & Joanie (Full Timers, RVM#181)
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #5
IC2

Even my Ford diesel pickup is no longer inexpensive to have the oil and fuel filters changed. The oil change itself is pushing 150 bucks. Throw in a fuel filter change and now you are in the $300 range. I can do it all myself but about 3.5 gallons of oil is tough to handle in my driveway though I refuse to let anyone change the two fuel filters so do that myself. Part of my costs are that for warranty reasons I use only my known manufacturer's brand
Old 01-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #6

I just changed the oil in my car. Mobil 1 cost me $40 for a jug (5 qts) at AutoZone, then I had to buy another single qt (my SUV holds 6 qts) and a filter. So out the door $50+.
Now my coach holds 40 qts of oil...
Old 01-11-2019, 07:06 AM   #7

I just changed mine like every year engine and genny for $150 rottella was on sale. Fuel filters another $50
Old 01-11-2019, 07:51 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dang that sounds like a lot !! Makes me love my old gas Dolphin even more.I can change my oil and filters in an hour for about $100 using full syn oil.
gvette85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcquinn View Post
Does anyone else change their own oil in their diesel pusher without specialized equipment? I am 70 years old and it would be hard for me if I had to get under the coach to change it.
I'm 71 and lucky to still be able to lay down on the ground and inch under the coach. Install one of these https://www.amazon.com/EZ-EZ-111-Oil...40213646&psc=1 so that all you need to do is attach a short piece of hose and open the valve. Have enough buckets underneath, and you can close valve to switch buckets, all the while you're just laying there in the shade.
When done with drain and with the filter R&R, inch your way out from under there.

Of course, if your bride is done making sammiches, send her under the coach

It costs 20 minutes, and about $100 worth of materials (engine oil only), as I vaguely recall.

Genset supply costs are about same as a small car. Simple change if you have easy access to the genset.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #10

I try to get 3 quotes before I have any work done on anything. That includes house, RV, even dental cleaning while traveling.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #11

It would be helpful to know where you had the work done. Speedco is the most economical (assuming you didn't go there) & big truck dealerships can be very expensive. Did you have an appointment? Did they have all the supplies in stock or did they send a parts runner to get the genny parts? Were you due for an air filter (can add $150)? Were you due for a air dryer element change? If it was a simple PM on engine & genny it is a little high but that might be a service center's way of telling you they DON'T want to service motorhomes.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #12
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
OUCH -- Its posts like this that vindicate my decision to purchase a gasser rather than a DP. My last oil change was $20, 7 qts of oil and a filter.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I ALWAYS change my own oil and filter in my engine and genset. I buy 6 gallons of Rotella 15w-40 at $13/gal at Walmart ($78). CAT 1807 filter is about $20, Fram makes a filter for the gnset for $5. It takes me about a liesurely 3 hours and a 12 pack of Corona ($12), and I'm still below $200. I drain the oil overnight, and refill it the next morning. I drain the engine into a mortar pan from Home Depot that holds 26 gallons, then bail it out with a scoop made from a 1 gallon jug with the cap on and the bottom cut off. It takes 22 quarts to do the job, 19 for the engine and 3 for the genset, and I end up with 2 quarts left over, to use in the 10,000 miles till my next oil change.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #14

I'm 68 and do most of my own maintenance including fluid changes. Next up is the tranny oil change.
If you don't want or can't do it yourself you probably can find a back yard mechanic to do the grunt work yourself. Even a handyman or high school kid can do it, just know how to do it yourself, instruct him and watch closely until your confident he can do it. It's not hard and anyone can learn to change the oil. But I understand if you don't want to get under the coach.

The most import aspect in all this is to make sure the oil filter is on slightly more than hand tight and the oil plug is tight. Make sure you have the correct end wrench for the oil plug. An oil filter wrench is cheap, get one to remove the old filter and use it to slightly tighten the new one just slightly more than hand tight.

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator