Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #1

$700 wheel bearing repack!!!!!

Wow, just called the Ford dealer in Albuquerque to get some service done and was quoted $700.00 6 hrs labor to repack the front wheel bearings on my Ford F53 chassis seems way high!! Anyone had this done for less??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Wow.....they must be removing the lug nuts with their teeth. A competent mechanic should be able to do that in about an hour per side. Pull the wheel, pull the caliper and repack. Maybe book time of 1.5 hours per side, but certainly not 3 hours per side. It sounds like something they don't want to do. I don't know if Speedco does bearings, but I would certainly look around.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I paid about that for my coach.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I paid about that for my coach.

Sounds like you forgot your change
Arricejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:58 PM   #5

Glad I have a Workhorse chassis with oil bathed front hubs.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #6

I wouldn't doubt that price. It is a lot of work to remove the calipers and hubs. It was the hardest job I have done on my RV.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I opted to have mine covered to oil bath for $450 instead of repack. Now I can inspect oil level and if needed change the oil although the service manager where I had it done (Josam's in FL) said I should never have to do that.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I opted to have mine covered to oil bath for $450 instead of repack. Now I can inspect oil level and if needed change the oil although the service manager where I had it done (Josam's in FL) said I should never have to do that.
I didn't know that could be done. Can you elaborate on how this is accomplished?
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I wonder why the manufacture would use grease instead of oil bath, I would think the cost is no different.

If I had a F53 I would definitely change over, $450 and never have to worry about it, verses $600 ever few years or whatever the spec is.

Is there any benefit grease verses oil????
Old 05-24-2017, 05:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Is there any benefit grease verses oil????

Grease takes forever to leak out when the seal fails.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #11

I thought my bill was bad, new calipers, new pads, new wheel bearings and races for $900. Your cost for bearing pack seems high.
jtjj1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:28 PM   #12

That price, while it seems high for many of us, may or may not be all that bad. I do all my own maintenance so, yeah, it's pretty high to me. If you're not equipped to handle EVERYTHING that's involved, well, the first thing I'd do is, get more quotes. And, I ask about EVERY DETAIL that will be done. In my book, repacking wheel bearings means removing them, COMPLETELY, cleaning all the parts, including the hub. Then, an inspection of each and every part. Normally, the seal is damaged when it's removed so, that will HAVE to be replaced which, adds to the cost.
As for oil bath bearings vs Grease packed, well, oil bath ones for sure take less maintenance. And, due to the fact that, they ARE CONSTANTLY in oil, they may get better lube than grease packed ones do. But, I have no basis of truth on this. I'm just surmising. I just pulled all 4 hubs and replaced all wheel bearings, cups and seals on my 11 year old boat trailer. Those original bearings, looked like they were new when I pulled them out. But, for a measly $100, I replaced everything, including new seals and one brake line. So, greased ones, at least in the boating world, are just fine.

I did a repack of my fronts on my previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V on an F-53 chassis. No big deal. Pull the wheels, remove the caliper and hub, yank everything 0ut, clean and inspect, repack, reinstall, DONE. Probably around 3-4 hours since I'm no hurry.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #13

I found an independent place that is Ford authorized and uses all Ford parts. They told me $675.00 for the repack, change the fuel filter and flush the brake fluid and they lube the rear calipers which according to them can cause issues, included in the price. I hope my brakes don't need to be replaced I have 44,000 miles on the coach and always try to go easy on using the brakes. I have no idea how long they last on motor homes.

The shop is called Statkus RV in Albuquerque the reviews look pretty good. I will report back here with my review.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:06 PM   #14

Check out: www.RVServiceReviews.com

This is a good source to use to find places to work on your RVs.

Be sure and sign up, and when you find a good service facility. put it in there so that you can pass it along.

No, I am not affiliated with them except as a loyal customer who has found them to be VERY useful.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote