Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
clyon51's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona West RV Park, Yuma, Az
Posts: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
This is very interesting. Can someone give me some examples of specific parts that will fail if unused. Also what period of time sitting unused is harmful. (1 month, 4 months?)
I'm sure there are many opinions on this, but my reasons are as follows.

When an engine sits, oil is drained away from all the bearings. The longer it sits the worse this becomes. So, when you start the engine, there is no lube present. This of course puts extra wear on all the internal parts. Pretty much the same in a transmission.

Also with the oil drained away for extended periods, the seals and gaskets get dry. They fail early causing fluid leaks. If your talking the seals on the main engine bearings, you're talking big bucks, or a whole lot of labor. Also some electrical parts if not used can corrode and fail, such as transfer switches, solenoids and the RV generator. This is why the mfgs say to exercise them under load at least once a month.
__________________

__________________
John & Clare Lyon
2007 43.5' Monaco Dynasty Palace III (All Electric)
Towd: 2011 Chevy Equinox
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 48
In my opinion, it depends on a few things. If the 7k DP was used a few times during the year and was stored in a normal climate (not dry) then I would jump all over the 7k one. However, if it was sitting for a long time in a place like Az then I would consider the 70k. You really need to know the history of the DP to select the proper one.

Good luck hunting.
__________________

__________________
Brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Slinger, WI
Posts: 58
I am still trying to find the threads that from all those folks that have had significant engine problems due to lack of use. I have not found a lot of reading on this issue.

Consider this, buy a used MH this year and put 60,000 miles on over the next few years. Which one is going to be easier to sell? The one with 130,000 miles on it or the one with 67,000 miles? The fact is that the average buying public prefers lower mileage and is usually willing to pay quite a bit extra for it.

If the price is the same for each I will take the lower mile unit. I generally prefer higher mileage well maintained units versus low mileage ones. But, that is only because of the typical premium that goes along with low mileage units is more than I am willing to pay.
__________________
bmacrc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,454
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
On a maintained diesel, 70K miles is nothing. Have it checked over by a good diesel shop first.

ken
X3
__________________
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 176
Here's another point, 70,000 miles means 63,000 more miles of pot holes, chassis-flex, hard-breaking, cornering, salted roads, and whatever other road abuse would occur over that distance.
__________________
Started our journey: 2015 Ford F350 Diesel Dually, 2016 Forest River Vengeance Touring 39R12 toy hauler, Can-Am Spyder RT-Limited.
Mr. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 278
so i got one with 96000 miles on it that runs great ,i would be willing to trade it for the same year model to any of you that love a high mileage one if you have one with 9000 miles on yours. op purchase the 7000 mile coach if it is the same price
__________________
swampdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Snowbird - Waterford Mi and Citrus Springs Fl.
Posts: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog View Post
so i got one with 96000 miles on it that runs great ,i would be willing to trade it for the same year model to any of you that love a high mileage one if you have one with 9000 miles on yours. op purchase the 7000 mile coach if it is the same price
Sure! It's just been sitting here on the beach for a while now. Just the dogs and I using it when it gets cold up north. Drove it straight here when we bought it. Ran great! Haven't been anywhere with it since, so I'm sure it's OK! Let me know when you'd like to see it and we'll get the neighbor to come over and charge the batteries up for you....

BTW, speaking of the neighbor, we were sharing a brew and a cigar waiting for the rain to stop the other day. He said he looked over at our roof when he was cleaning his, said he can't believe ours isn't leaking, but I haven't seen a drop? Hope yours doesn't leak either?

Yes, kidding, hoping to make a point....
__________________
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
calhyatt's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Weston, Fl.
Posts: 914
take the 70K one. I did and don't regret it. good luck.
__________________
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
CountryFit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Between the Oceans
Posts: 3,548
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacrc46 View Post
I am still trying to find the threads that from all those folks that have had significant engine problems due to lack of use. I have not found a lot of reading on this issue.

Consider this, buy a used MH this year and put 60,000 miles on over the next few years. Which one is going to be easier to sell? The one with 130,000 miles on it or the one with 67,000 miles? The fact is that the average buying public prefers lower mileage and is usually willing to pay quite a bit extra for it.

If the price is the same for each I will take the lower mile unit. I generally prefer higher mileage well maintained units versus low mileage ones. But, that is only because of the typical premium that goes along with low mileage units is more than I am willing to pay.
+1. i have a 70kmi, who wants to trade a 7kmi with me? lol
__________________
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40', ISC 350
2014 Ford C-Max Energi
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 176
Emergency generators are diesel,

and they often sit for months or years without being used. Also diesel engines are used in sailboats, which tend to be used seasonally, and sit for long periods without running.
__________________
Started our journey: 2015 Ford F350 Diesel Dually, 2016 Forest River Vengeance Touring 39R12 toy hauler, Can-Am Spyder RT-Limited.
Mr. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
WeatherTodd's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brez View Post
In my opinion, it depends on a few things. If the 7k DP was used a few times during the year and was stored in a normal climate (not dry) then I would jump all over the 7k one. However, if it was sitting for a long time in a place like Az then I would consider the 70k. You really need to know the history of the DP to select the proper one.

Good luck hunting.
some common sense. Not sure where the "wivetales" of higher mileage is better on a diesel come from... but I will gladly share service records to the contrary.

Seals dont "dry out". Orings wont dry out either. Your engine and trans are basically sealed systems minus a small vent. Also oil will always drain to the lowest part of the engine... thats where the brillant engineers put the oil pump pickup! Also there are galleys where the oil wont drain away.
__________________
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #26
laj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd

some common sense. Not sure where the "wivetales" of higher mileage is better on a diesel come from... but I will gladly share service records to the contrary.

Seals dont "dry out". Orings wont dry out either. Your engine and trans are basically sealed systems minus a small vent. Also oil will always drain to the lowest part of the engine... thats where the brillant engineers put the oil pump pickup! Also there are galleys where the oil wont drain away.
Completely agree. when I bought mine it was well, over maintained and don't regret it a bit. Have had only one small issue with it and other then it looks and drives like new. My opinion, if everything checks out go for the 7k one.
__________________
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #27
Registered User
 
KSCRUDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Land Of Oz RVM17
Posts: 1,592
This one is such a no brainer. The 7k rig over the 70k rig even if it is more money. Even if it is gas or diesel, it makes no difference. This can be said about a car, motor home, or semi truck. It doesn't matter if they are one year old or 10 years old. If both have been taken care of the 7k is the only way to go. That being said, some people can trash a Sherman tank in 7k, but that's a whole different thread and not what we are discussing here.
__________________
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #28
AGP
Senior Member
 
AGP's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 236
WeatherTodd has got it right I would go for the 7000 mile all other things cosidered of corse.
__________________

__________________
Tony, Nancy & Abby the pooch 2011 40'Monaco Knight PDQ Maxxforce 10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
AGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.