Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #43

70000 mi is nothing for a diesel if maintained properly. Change oil every 5k regular ( yes it hurts 18-20 quarts ) but it's cheaper than a new engine. Your body will fall of before your engine expires. After all how many high miles do you see on an RV. I would prefer the higher mile vehicle if all is equal. High miles are 500k-1000k. Cheers Gerald

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
70000 mi is nothing for a diesel if maintained properly. Change oil every 5k regular ( yes it hurts 18-20 quarts ) but it's cheaper than a new engine. Your body will fall of before your engine expires. After all how many high miles do you see on an RV. I would prefer the higher mile vehicle if all is equal. High miles are 500k-1000k. Cheers Gerald
5 k oil changes is the schedule for gas engines. Most diesels are 15k or annual. In most cases it would be annual.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recently bought a 2006 Itasca Meridian with 19,000 miles on it. It is in perfect condition. I got rid of a Fleetwood Discovery that had 91,000 miles on it and was a money pit. I'm sure a lot depends on who has owned it and taken care of it, but in my humble opinion, I'd take the one with the lower mileage and check it out thorougly. After all, 7,000 miles on a six year old coach doesn't mean it's been parked all that time...it could have been used 2 to 3 times a year on short camping trips. Some people work for a living and that's all they can get away for.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #46

Cat will tell you on older units to change the oil every 5k. Of course you could spend your coin on having your oil tested . I might as well change the oil for all the work I have to do to get a sample and then pay for the test.The most important thing on a diesel is to change your oil. If you try to stretch your oil changes through a test because it will give you another 3or 4 k's thats false economy. Cheers Gerald
Old 11-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Millions of truckers have lived out of their rigs for years. Most have had to idle any time they needed sleep as to keep warm or cool. Many of these rigs have logged over 2 million miles without a overhaul. This is with 10s of thousands of idle time hours. Now days many have gone to a small engine called an APU to keep things warm or cool and to provide power for electronics and to even keep the chassis battery's charged and the coolant warm. This is due to new Laws from the governments. Many still just idle the truck engine as not all states have outlawed idling but many have. In cold climates like Alaska, diesel trucks are never shut off. They run 24/7 as they would never start outside. The excessive idling is not as hard on them as the cold starts would be anyway.
X2.

I idle my semi whenever I'm out in it and need to heat the cab. I don't have an APU nor do I intend on buying one. I've got 443,000 miles on my 03 Pete, bought it brand new, and have idled it for MANY hours. I have never had any internal engine work performed and don't expect to need any until it hits the million mile mark.

If it were me and the coaches were of comparable quality as the OP stated I'd take the 7K coach all day long. The engine and trans seals won't be dried out.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #48

we have 80K After 10 years. Still runs like the day I bought it. The important thing is the interior, be sure it has not been lived in. The sofas ,chairs, carpet, etc will tell the story!!! I almost bought a 2 yr old DP in 2004 but it was obvious it had been lived in by big people. So I bought my 02 DS w/ 29K miles in 04 and the interior was like new and still is.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
I've also been looking at used motor homes. You really have to evaluate the entire package. As a rule, I would prefer less than 50k miles. Mainly because I will put about 30-40K miles in the next few years and it is difficult to sell a coach with over 100K miles.

The difficult part is if a dealer is selling a high mileage coach they will tell you the 100k miles is nothing on a diesel, but if you are trading it in they will deduct 50%.

I like to look at the drivers seat, the refrigerator, the entry steps, the hours on the generator, service records, the roof, and the carpets. These give me a general indicator on how it has been cared for.

The big issue is current pricing. I see as much as $100k difference in price for the same year make, and model coach.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
What ever wear and tear may occur from a coach sitting and only having 7000 miles does not compare to the wear and tear of 70,000 miles. A 2 year old coach is better then a 22 year old coach. Lower miles and newer is always better
Old 11-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
So a salesman was showing us a 7 year old diesel pusher. It had 70,000 miles on it. I mentioned that I thought that was higher mileage than I wanted. He said that it was just getting broken in and it would be preferable to buy this unit than one with 7,000 miles.

Now, I know that diesels need to be used, and they are long lived. However, that just sounds wrong.

So if you had to choose between 2 diesel pushers, both in equal excellent shape, but one had 70,000 miles and on 7,000 miles, which would you choose and why?

Of course he told U that.Hes trying to sell u the unit.Anyone that thinks a 70K unit is better to buy over a 7K unit is crazy in the head
Now that being said if you were to find a 70K and 7K unit of the same year make and model iam 100% certain the same sale,s person would be asking 15-20 more for the 7K unit than the 70K unit
Old 11-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #52

Well, the salesman's lips were moving...
Old 11-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #53

the most important thing

The most important thing on any motorhome gas or diesel is the roof, if it leaks, sides delaminition, floors rot, mildew and mold everywhere you can not see or clean. Engines and transmissions are mechanical and can be repaired, but the house can not be reasonly repaired its now junk. just my opinion from experience.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
Of course he told U that.Hes trying to sell u the unit.Anyone that thinks a 70K unit is better to buy over a 7K unit is crazy in the head
Now that being said if you were to find a 70K and 7K unit of the same year make and model iam 100% certain the same sale,s person would be asking 15-20 more for the 7K unit than the 70K unit
I have to agree...if you were to put two exact coaches together on a sales lot, one with 7,000 miles and the other with 70,000 miles, and they were both the same price, which one would you buy? Which one would anyone buy...?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Well I would ask the dealer to drive the coach around the world twice before I take delivery.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350
Well I would ask the dealer to drive the coach around the world twice before I take delivery.
And he'd still tell ya it's just now getting broke in.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel