Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #1

70k miles better than 7k on a used diesel pusher?

So a salesman was showing us a 7 year old diesel pusher. It had 70,000 miles on it. I mentioned that I thought that was higher mileage than I wanted. He said that it was just getting broken in and it would be preferable to buy this unit than one with 7,000 miles.

Now, I know that diesels need to be used, and they are long lived. However, that just sounds wrong.

So if you had to choose between 2 diesel pushers, both in equal excellent shape, but one had 70,000 miles and on 7,000 miles, which would you choose and why?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The one with 70,000 miles! Especially if they were the same exact year. Seals dry out if not lubricated and used.
A diesel engine usually goes 300,000 to 500,000 miles before it needs even a valve job. An in frame rebuild might be needed at 750,000 to 1,000,000 miles. An ISB or CAT 3226 or C-7 due to their not having removable liners won't usually last that long though

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #3

I had the same choice when I bought my current rig and went with the one with 65k, which now has 85k. The only thing I have had to do is replace tires, and the shocks.

Now that said, I would check the house. A RV that has 70k has had much more use of the house then the one with 7k and will show it.
Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would with go with the 70k one, all other things being equal. It's not good for any vehicle to sit unused.

If I had a choice of a 7 year old gasser, I would chose the one with 20k over one with 2k. Again, all other things being equal.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On a maintained diesel, 70K miles is nothing. Have it checked over by a good diesel shop first.

ken
Old 11-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
On a maintained diesel, 70K miles is nothing. Have it checked over by a good diesel shop first.

ken
x2
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryantclan View Post
I had the same choice when I bought my current rig and went with the one with 65k, which now has 85k. The only thing I have had to do is replace tires, and the shocks.

Now that said, I would check the house. A RV that has 70k has had much more use of the house then the one with 7k and will show it.
On the bold, all else being equal, that 7K coach could easily have the same (or more?) wear and tear placed on the coach if it was left stationary, parked in a resort area and used as an apartment?

Viewed as a whole, the 70k coach could be in much better condition than the 7k coach, as it was mobile, keeping the chassis components from issues related to non-use?

Hard to judge without seeing it or knowing the entire (true) story behind each.
-Al
Old 11-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #8

For many practical reasons, I agree with the postings above. I do, however, think that a coach with 7K miles will be much less worn in the house portion of the coach than one with 70k miles. I realize this depends on if someone drove the 7k coach a couple k miles and lived in it full time for a few years. I believe you also need to consider the wear and tear of the 70K on the suspension, brakes, exhaust, airbags, etc, etc, when buying the higher milage coach.
If a 7k coach was totally warmed up during a short drive once or twice a month, I'd be anxious to purchase that coach rather than the 70K unit. The maintenance history and general care of each individual coach is, IMHO, the key to "is it a great deal"or not regardless of the milage.
Just one man's humble opinion after owning 10 RV's, 3 diesel pushers!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
The 70,000 mile one for all the reasons mentioned. My coach is almost 8 years old and has just under 50,000 miles on it and it just keeps getting better.

Jerry
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #10

Mileage is only one small indicator of a coach's condition. Look at the coach very closely. Are the carpets spotty or do they show evidence of heavy recent cleaning? Upholstery the same? Are all the systems, not just the major systems, up and running and are small things clean and well cared for? Grease around the seams in the vent fans, walls near the toilet spotted or rough? New grease on the tie rod ends and clean grease fittings? A well cared for coach shows it. Our rig has a bit over 70,000 miles and is in LIKE NEW condition. It'll be 5 years old February 1st, but has been lovingly cared for. I have complete maintenance and upgrade documentation, electronic and paper documents on ALL the bus systems, and a number of modifications to make living in it easier. But new cabinets have factory hardware and factory counter tops. The wood is unscratched and the finishes all match. Oh by the way, I do ALL my own maintenance, so I know when something is done, it's done right.

We are only going to own this coach for the next 30 days or so. Yes, it's being traded in. Not because there's anything wrong with it, but because we liked the new ones so much better. It was a hard decision, but the features and floorplans in the new ones were irresistible. Anyone interested in buying this trade in who turns it down because of the mileage, will be making a colossal mistake, but I'm sure a discerning buyer will recognize value and it will find a good home.

Closely examine the whole coach and the value you are getting for the price before you make your decision.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
When we purchased our coach in August of 2011 it was 6 years old and had 51K miles on the odometer. We were also considering 3 other DP coaches at the time that were all in the same price range. One was an '06 with 11K miles and the others were '05s with 13K miles. For exact reasons that have been posted here we purchased the Beaver and 10K miles later we have no regrets. It's had a couple of issues, but they all have issues.

At first glance the low mileage coaches seem attractive but low mileage will tell you that the coach spent a lot of time just sitting and not being used. That in it self is almost a form of abuse. Any machine needs to be used and maintained or it will deteriorate with time.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #12

Assuming, they are both equal, including 7 years old... Def the 70. But if the 7k miler one is only a couple of years old.... I'd choose that over the 70k one. Maintenance record is very important here.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #13

This is very interesting. Can someone give me some examples of specific parts that will fail if unused. Also what period of time sitting unused is harmful. (1 month, 4 months?)
Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
This is very interesting. Can someone give me some examples of specific parts that will fail if unused. Also what period of time sitting unused is harmful. (1 month, 4 months?)
Probably the most likely parts to fail and cause expensive repairs and the least visible to inspection would be engine/transmission seals and "O" rings. When the engine or transmission are not exercised on a regular basis these seals and "O" rings will dry out, crack and will begin to leak within a short period of time after the coach has been placed back into service. The same can probably be said for wheel seals and hoses. While these are not expensive parts by themselves the damage that can result in their failure can be catastrophic. Even if caught before any damage occurs, the repair bill will be 10% parts and 90% labor.

This is why most of us who own DPs will exercise them every 3-4 weeks if we are stationary for a long period of time.

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel