Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
74 Dodge Motor home Starting issues

Okay so here is the skinny. I have a 74 Dodge Motor home and I am having problems getting it started. Here is the issue sometimes it starts right up and runs great doesn’t sound like it is missing or anything. Has no hesitation when getting on the gas. If I turn it off and try to start it drags and might start but as soon as I let the key go from the cranking position it dies or won’t stay running and at times will backfire after 3 to 4 cranks. I have tried bypassing the ballast resistor to see if that was the issue and the same happens. It doesn’t always start the first time either sometimes it takes 10 to 15 minutes and it might fire. I thought maybe it was the carb so I rebuilt it and I still have the same issue. The started does drag and spin off freq. Could this be the problem? Im not sure with the back fire and the key in the cranking position factors.
Any Ideas out there?

shrhuston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Make sure your ground cable from the engine to the chassis is good, take it apart and clean the connections , If you dont have one , Install one , Next you have to replace the starter , You also didnt mention if you have electronic ignition . I believe all 74's came stock with it ,but if it does have you checked the voltage and the ignition module ?

rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Mid Atlantic Campers
It's been a while, but isn't that pretty much what old Dodge's did when the ballast resistor went bad?
Either way, its a white ceramic looking block with two wires connected to it on each end, I don't think they cost very much to replace, worth a shot anyway.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 76 toasted an ignition switch or two.

2004 Monaco Monarch
Blueox, SMI, 1990 Wrangler YJ
mfire1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe two separate problems. The fact that it backfires when trying to start is a big clue. Backfiring with a cold motor is a sign of leaness. This indicates that the choke is not adjusted correctly or engaged. Before you start the cold motor do you push your foot once to the floor then take your foot off the pedal? If you don't push your foot once to the floor the choke will not come on. If you hold your foot down on the pedal any amount then you deactivate the choke. This is not an automated fuel injected motor.

If you do all that the pull the air vleaner off with a cold motor and push your foot once to the floor and see if the choke closes. It should lightly close all the way.

The other problem of quitting when you let go of the key could be a bad switch. When that happens don't do or touch anything and test for 12 volts at the ballast resistor either with a multi-meter or a 12v test lamp.
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
I will test the ballast resistor when it stops. I put a new started and it is better, a lot less backfire only about once every couple of days. Still having problems keeping it running, I have to keep the RPMs high or it dies I have had it idled down where I didn't need to have the foot on the gas and it sounded great good idle speed, no missing and I could turn it off and turn the key with no gas pedal and fired up stayed running. It did that for a day or 2 then back to problems. I have tried pushing the gas in and off till it starts to fire and then apply gas and it starts holding the gas down but as soon as I decrease pressure on the pedal it dies.
shrhuston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
My vote goes to the choke adjustment.
Ernie n Tara

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

One the side of the carb there is a high idle cam that goes with the choke. When you push the pedal all the way to the floor and let up and the choke is now engaged it also drops that high idle step cam to hold the motor up on a faster idle while the choke is engaged. If that choke is sticking or not activated then the idle rpm will not be higher and it will stall when cold.

If you push the gas pedal down and let up and then apply the pedal while trying to start it then the choke is no longer fully activated and the high idle cam is not on so the idle RPM will then be too low and it will stall when you let up on the gas pedal.

It sounds like either it has a sticking choke or it is not adjusted correctly. Who rebuilt the carb? Is it somebody close to you? If so then you should call him and have him check out the choke.

If I remember correctly if that is a 4 barrell carb it is a Carter ThermoQuad.
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Your ignition timing is retarded
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
Also, check all your vacuum hose connections at the carb and if it has a vacuum advance on the distributor, make sure it's working and check the distributor cap for possible cracks or moisture.

Good luck
Jim & SherrySeward

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
Freightliner Owners Club
To compensate for automatic choke starting problems on our mid '70s Jamboree Class C with the Dodge 360, I installed a hand choke and did not have those problems any more.

'07 Winnebago Journey 34H, ISB-02, MH2500
Toad - '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue Ox, Aventa
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote