Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
8.1 gas saver with K&N filters

Does anyone knows how the K&N air filters works on 8.1 GMC engines, and if I will get good miles on it. My MH is a 2002 Pace Arrow 36 E

dinkie0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
they seem to work pretty good. They work even better if you can get the intake tract much shorter and straighter than OEM from workhorse.

WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
I run the Banks air intake modification that uses the K&N filter. It seems to work well. Just remember to get the spray oil to apply after cleaning & drying. Remember to clean the MAF sensor also. Good Luck Jp
Just the Wife & Me and the Two Dogs!!
2011 Newmar Mountain Aire 4344 !!
450HP Cummins on a Freightliner Chassis !!
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
I have used the K&N air filters on several vehicles including a 2002 Winnebago 30' class C. I found that fuel consumption remained unchanged vs. stock paper air filters. There was a slight improvement in power when pulling steep grades in lower gears (higher rpm). Overall I judged the K&N air filters to be no better than stock filters. There is also the possibility of poor filtration should you not completely cover the filter media after cleaning. Also excessive oiling can foul the mass air flow sensor.
aksteelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner

My RV came to me with the K& N filter but I don't know anything about the mass air flow sensor. Where is it and how do I clean it ?
redtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
redtop; Check out this thread it for the location of the maf sensor Am I embarrassed It is located just after the air filter box. Good Luck JP
Just the Wife & Me and the Two Dogs!!
2011 Newmar Mountain Aire 4344 !!
450HP Cummins on a Freightliner Chassis !!
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to the Workhorse forum on iRV2, do a search for K&N, and any other questions you have.. If maintaining your motorhome is your new "hobby" you will find plenty to keep u busy. Basically, the Mass air flow is behind the filter housing, you will see a wire plug going into the air intake tube.. It is cleaned using mass air spray cleaner from a parts store. But please do search on workhorse for a better explanation..
2004 National See Breeze LX8375, Towing a 2012 Liberty
retired. Now What?
donhoward49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There has been a small library's worth of posts on K&N filters.. Most of it is confusing.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
I have used the aFEPower air filters on all of our diesel coaches. The aFEPower filters are quite similar to K&N and are used on many of the long haul truckers. I have always seen improvement in fuel mileage and reduced air retsriction. Here are documented data on our current coach.

Standard Paper Filter aFE filter
Air Restriction Improvement New- 8 inches New 0 inches
the higher the no. the more restriction @14000 miles 18 inches @26000 4 inches

Fuel mileage over 22000 miles 9.0 mpg 26000 9.5 mpg

I personally don't agree that the K&N and aFE filters let through more dirt. If you check out the aFEPower.com site there is a good explanation of how efficient these filters are. Using my own experience, at 26000 miles on our current coach, I decided to clean the filter even though the air restriction gauge still read only 4 inches. I was amazed at how much dirt and debri the filter had caught. When I washed it I could see how it was working. The outer covering was trapping the "large" dirt particules, and the particule size being trapped diminished through each successive layer. The result was the inner layer was not as dirty as the outer layers which meant there was still room for the air to pass throgh the filter. In a paper filter all particules are trapped at the same layer which means the larger particules completely block that portion of the filter since there is essentially only one layer and this reduces the surface area for air to pass through.

I have used K&N filters on cars and pickup trucks and have not seen much difference. I think it might have to do with the volume of air the engine needs, but can't confirm that. Just a suspicion, and of course this is just my experience and is not meant to be argumentative or confrontational in any way.

Jim and Lynda, (Sophie, Jake, attack trained killer Shi-Tzus :-))

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
iRV2 No Limits Club
The trouble with aFe and K&N filters is that they filter at 99% of the normal filters 99.9% so they let in TWICE the dust. I've been going around and around with both K&N and aFe to get flow rate info. Both of them say they've never flow rated or tested them. How can they say they're better than stock if they can't substantiate their claims of better flow, yet they let in twice as much dust?

I used K&N filters on my racing motorcycles, but I rebuilt the engines much more often than I want to on my ISC!!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
If you do use a K&N, use caution when cleaning and re-oiling it. Many people over oil the filter after cleaning. The oil can cause your mass air flow sensor to get dirty and cause problems requiring cleaning. There are companies that sell no-oil high flow filters that work just as well. I know GM makes such a filter. I have one in my GM performance intake system.
dj98321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
K&N and other oiled gauze air filters will let in more dust and hold less dirt before plugging than dry cellulose and synthetic air filters , and you could oil foul air intake sensors. Best left for low mileage race applications, not motorhomes.

There are much better reusable synthetic dry filters for less money that will remove 50 times more dust. PM me if you'd like more information on price and availability.

Damon Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote