Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #1

8.1 misses on hard acceleration

my workhorse w22 idles smooth increases smooth but when going from 40 to 60 miss fires when you ease off runs smooth has new plugs and wires

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 07:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser124 View Post
my workhorse w22 idles smooth increases smooth but when going from 40 to 60 miss fires when you ease off runs smooth
My first thought is spark plug wires.

PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Ditto

Make sure plug wires are tight
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:36 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
So is it doing the same thing it did before you changed the plugs and wires? Is that why you changed them?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
So is it doing the same thing it did before you changed the plugs and wires? Is that why you changed them?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
yes that's why I changed them
Old 05-22-2016, 07:41 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Classis symptoms of SCIB (Secondary Circuit Insulation Breakdown). What does that mean.

The high voltage ignition system (Secondary) can and will produce a great deal of voltage. In the range of 50,000 or more volts. The voltage is needed to push electrons across the plug gap to ignite fuel. The system has been around since very early.

When an engine is idling or cruising the voltage demand is lower. When under load, climbing and accelerating the voltage demand goes up. It will go up until it can overcome the resistance so it can jump the gap.

When the secondary insulation breaks down the spark will jump to ground before jumping the plug gap and that's what you are experiencing.

You've changed the plugs and wires. There's still a weak area in the system. I don't know what you have in that engine. You might have a cap, rotor, or the actual ignition coil but it's breaking down somewhere else besides the plug wires.

Many of today's engines use COP or Coil Over Plug so each spark plug has it's own coil but there are no secondary spark plug wires, coil wire, cap or rotor. That's the reason they switched to the COP design. It eliminates a lot of parts which will experience SCIB.

Simple, you have more secondary parts to replace.

TeJay
Old 05-22-2016, 07:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
I guess I should read better. I see you changed the plugs and wires. Not sure what ignition system your rv has, but older ones with a distributor, it s easy to mix up number 5 and 7 plug wires.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:42 AM   #8

Have you driven in rain?? Mine had an issue where air filter was wet causing a misfire .
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:44 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
The rain ingestion issue was with the early F-53 chassis. That was corrected. His issue is with secondary spark breakdown when under load. It only occurs when the voltage increases from the coil because of a need for more power (voltage) to jump the spark gap.

TeJay
Old 05-23-2016, 07:24 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I had the same issues after changing plugs & wires. For me it turned out to be the new wires. I got a 2nd set of Magnums and now the coach runs great.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
I had the same issue Change wires ands plugs run good briefly and started missing again. I had one wire to close to the manifold and start arching to it. Change the one and had no problems.
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Missfire's, do you mean it is pinging, like due to ethonal in the fuel, or are you reading misfires on your tech2 code reader? Since you have replaced the plugs and wires (not bosch) then you may want to try a higher octane fuel, summer blends have just started where they up the ethonal.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #13

He has a Workhorse chassis, not a F53 and the rain ingestion issue was never properly corrected. What wires were installed when you replaced them? Also, what gap are you running. The larger gap are more prone to a high speed miss, GM reduced the gap on some motors and when I did mine I went to the smaller gap for this reason.

I would check the air filter and clean the MAF since wires and plugs have been changed as the symptoms are similar, higher power requirements results in an engine miss. If the problem remains, then go back to the wires and plugs. I went through the water issue last fall with my W24 chassis.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
Missfire's, do you mean it is pinging, like due to ethonal in the fuel, or are you reading misfires on your tech2 code reader? Since you have replaced the plugs and wires (not bosch) then you may want to try a higher octane fuel, summer blends have just started where they up the ethonal.
Off topic, but ethanol in fuel does not cause ping. Ethanol reduces ping.