Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #1

8.1 Vortec hard start when hot

Hi all - my first post on this site -
I've a Safari Trek 2003 8.1 Vortec Workhorse P32. When the camper is well warmed up it is hard to start - the starter behaves as if it does not have the energy to crank the engine. 3 or 4 or more seconds go by while there is no cranking - then it cranks and starts up. When cold the starter happily cranks and the engine happily starts. I've changed the battery, ignition switch, chassis ground strap and had the starter rebuilt. I've also added a thermal blanket around the starter - which also has a heat shield. I have not replaced the cable running from the battery to the starter - but the ends are clean and shiny. this has been a constant issue since I bought the Trek 18 mo's ago.

Is there such a thing as a heavy duty starter for the 8.1?
Is there anything that would cause the engine to have greater internal resistance to cranking when hot?

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

Hesh Kagan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #2

It sounds to me like the ignition timing could be off?

Old 11-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2007 8.1engine. It behaved as you described. I replaced the battery and the problem disappeared.

Brad and Bonnie Morgan
2007 Monaco LaPalma
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #4

Get one of thise hold it next to wire ammeters that show starting current or locate a clamp on dc ammeter and check cranking current in both hot and cold.

Starter windings may be leaking ehrn hot causing more load.

Or advanced timing...
Old 11-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #5

Thanks. I'll measure the current hot and cold .
Old 11-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkagan View Post
Hi all - my first post on this site -
I've a Safari Trek 2003 8.1 Vortec Workhorse P32. When the camper is well warmed up it is hard to start - the starter behaves as if it does not have the energy to crank the engine. 3 or 4 or more seconds go by while there is no cranking - then it cranks and starts up. When cold the starter happily cranks and the engine happily starts. I've changed the battery, ignition switch, chassis ground strap and had the starter rebuilt. I've also added a thermal blanket around the starter - which also has a heat shield. I have not replaced the cable running from the battery to the starter - but the ends are clean and shiny. this has been a constant issue since I bought the Trek 18 mo's ago.

Is there such a thing as a heavy duty starter for the 8.1?
Is there anything that would cause the engine to have greater internal resistance to cranking when hot?

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

Hesh Kagan
When they rebuilt the starter, did they replace or rebuild the starter solenoid? It sounds like it could be poor contact in the starter solenoid.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The GM style battery cable connectors on side terminals may not be getting a good connection. I know you said that they are shiny, but look at them close and wire brush them, and the bolt and under the bolt. After you have re-tightened them with the 5/16 wrench, grab the cable try to spin it. When I do this, I almost all the time have take another turn when the wrench.

You can use the old jumper cable trick. Connect a jumper cable from the battery negative terminal and to the starter housing mounting bolt. If it works when hot, then you have a ground problem.

if it still doesn't work when hot,
then connect a jumper cable from the positive terminal on your battery to your cable connection on your starter, if it works when hot then you a bad cable or connection.

If neither cable connection works, I would blame the starter.

It can't be timing, there is no distributor, it is all electronic. The computer decides the timing from the different sensors, I guess a sensor could be bad, but I am not sure ? I think during the "start" mode, the timing is fixed until it goes into run mode, then the computer gets information from different sensors and makes adjustments, but just a guess.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Make sure you have the "correct" battery. Not just a new one.

Mike
Old 11-10-2014, 05:16 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometimes this can be due to a bad starter. I never had THIS problem with the 8.1, but rather with a Chevy Lumina, (Slant six) when the oil seals started leaking the oil dripped down on the starter, and after long enough of that exactly what you describe happened.

Finally the car died of old age (I likely could have fixed it if I had known then what I know now but hey, Some days....) and got replaced by something lighter and harder to tow.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
The GM style battery cable connectors on side terminals may not be getting a good connection. I know you said that they are shiny, but look at them close and wire brush them, and the bolt and under the bolt. After you have re-tightened them with the 5/16 wrench, grab the cable try to spin it. When I do this, I almost all the time have take another turn when the wrench.

You can use the old jumper cable trick. Connect a jumper cable from the battery negative terminal and to the starter housing mounting bolt. If it works when hot, then you have a ground problem.

if it still doesn't work when hot,
then connect a jumper cable from the positive terminal on your battery to your cable connection on your starter, if it works when hot then you a bad cable or connection.

If neither cable connection works, I would blame the starter.

It can't be timing, there is no distributor, it is all electronic. The computer decides the timing from the different sensors, I guess a sensor could be bad, but I am not sure ? I think during the "start" mode, the timing is fixed until it goes into run mode, then the computer gets information from different sensors and makes adjustments, but just a guess.

Excellent suggestions - I'll give it a try later today.

Thanks

Hesh
Old 11-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #11

If it starts after holding the key a few seconds it sounds to me like the solenoid. If it were a current issue, I wouldn't think it would turn over at all. I would ask the rebuilder if they did anything with the solenoid.

Also, here is a link to a gear reduction starter, read the print below.

Gear Reduction Starter
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #12

The earlier 2003 and before year had issues starting when the starter was HOT because of gear tolerances. When hot the gears bind.
A thin shim was required under the starter to block mating surface. If your starter had been replace or rebuilt this could factor in as you may now have a starter from a 1999 MY.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My 8.1 did the same thing for a whole year, the starter finally went out. Replaced the starter with a rebuilt sarter I bought at NAPA and has worked perfect ever since.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #14

hard to start comes stander !! jking

yes there is a HD starter but it dont look it it is very small looking

if you have the lager looking starter then get the smaller one off ebay

i have a few videos of my setup

takes lower amps

this is the lagers looking unit that i am sure you have and are seen every day
Starter Fits GMC G P Series 5 7 7 4L 94 98 Savana Vans 5 0 5 7 7 4 8 1L 99 02 | eBay

here is the smaller unit all most the size of a can of soda .. this is the one you want
Chevy Avalanche Suburban Silverado Truck GM Yukon 8 1L Starter 02 03 04 05 06 07 | eBay

you should have the ??169??? teeth fly wheel i think is the stander

pics i have added is how small the unit is but it has the power
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140509_135736.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	78665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140607_111324.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	78666