RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2018, 01:18 AM   #1

8.3 Cummins Overheats Climbing Hills

I hope I can help someone resolve their overheating issue on their diesel pushers. It took me 2 years of trying to figure out why my 8.3L cummings would overheat anytime I climb a hill (also was incredibly gutless presumably due to the engine getting hot). I have a 2007 40' Gulfstream, rear radiator, with only 11k miles on it. I tried flushing the cooling system, cleaning the radiator, check for flow, restrictions and cold spots on the radiator. Read tons of posts and suggestions. I even took it to 2 RV places where they were considered "experts" on RVs. Needless to say, nothing helped. I took upon myself to remove the fan, disassemble the hub and move the individual blades one notch over to see if I can get more air flow through the radiator. My experiment failed and the engine started overheating even sooner because the pitch was too much and although it would blow a ton of air, it was just pushing air out and not necessarily towards the radiator. I had to pull over on my last trip to put the fan blades back in the same position as before. To make a long story short (maybe too late by now?), I noticed that the curvature of the fan blades didn't look right when I looked at the rotation of the hub, it looked like the back of the blade was pushing the air back and not the curved "inside" of the blade, causing the fan to push air out the back but not enough as it was designed to operate. I turn the fan assembly the other way, with the curves actually pushing the air back and my RV ran perfectly. Climbed every pass towing a loaded 24' enclosed trailer without any problems, great power and the gauge never moved. If you're having similar symptoms, it may be a good idea to take a very close look at the fan and be sure it was not bolted on backwards at the factory like mine was. I'm sharing this in hope to help someone fix their overheating problem. Good luck and safe travels!

RRBerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2018, 05:02 AM   #2

Wow, thanks for the info.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward3411 View Post
Wow, thanks for the info.
What chassis have? I believe the chassis manufacture is at fault on this one.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:53 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
YOU DA MAN! Great job finding what couldn't possible happen. RIIIIGHT!

Old 06-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Good find...another issue is when the fan is not inside the shroud far enough letting a lot of air go off the tips of the fan blades, not through the radiator.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Is your engine the ISC350?

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:44 PM   #7

It is a workhorse chassis. ISC330. I couldn't believe how much better it runs now...
Old 06-21-2018, 10:57 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't believe Workhorse made a 40' DP chassis.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I don't believe Workhorse made a 40' DP chassis.
2007 Gulf Stream Crescendo Model 8386. Chassis by Workhorse. Considered 38', actually measures 40'. Look it up! Or better, you're welcome to come measure it if you'd like.
Jeez. I joined this forum in hopes to help someone else and I'm getting harassed already?!?!
Old 06-22-2018, 05:25 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
RRBerman....don't get all bent out of shape...a poster is telling you what he thinks, nobody is harassing you.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRBerman View Post
I hope I can help someone resolve their overheating issue on their diesel pushers. It took me 2 years of trying to figure out why my 8.3L cummings would overheat anytime I climb a hill (also was incredibly gutless presumably due to the engine getting hot). I have a 2007 40' Gulfstream, rear radiator, with only 11k miles on it. I tried flushing the cooling system, cleaning the radiator, check for flow, restrictions and cold spots on the radiator. Read tons of posts and suggestions. I even took it to 2 RV places where they were considered "experts" on RVs. Needless to say, nothing helped. I took upon myself to remove the fan, disassemble the hub and move the individual blades one notch over to see if I can get more air flow through the radiator. My experiment failed and the engine started overheating even sooner because the pitch was too much and although it would blow a ton of air, it was just pushing air out and not necessarily towards the radiator. I had to pull over on my last trip to put the fan blades back in the same position as before. To make a long story short (maybe too late by now?), I noticed that the curvature of the fan blades didn't look right when I looked at the rotation of the hub, it looked like the back of the blade was pushing the air back and not the curved "inside" of the blade, causing the fan to push air out the back but not enough as it was designed to operate. I turn the fan assembly the other way, with the curves actually pushing the air back and my RV ran perfectly. Climbed every pass towing a loaded 24' enclosed trailer without any problems, great power and the gauge never moved. If you're having similar symptoms, it may be a good idea to take a very close look at the fan and be sure it was not bolted on backwards at the factory like mine was. I'm sharing this in hope to help someone fix their overheating problem. Good luck and safe travels!
Thanks for sharing this find with the rest of us. It is unbelievable how some things can be assembled so incorrectly. I have seen my share of total incompetence coming from the factory, luckily not this coach.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRBerman View Post
2007 Gulf Stream Crescendo Model 8386. Chassis by Workhorse. Considered 38', actually measures 40'. Look it up! Or better, you're welcome to come measure it if you'd like.
Jeez. I joined this forum in hopes to help someone else and I'm getting harassed already?!?!
With 31,661 posts it seems "Mr. D" has a lot to say about everything! It is one of the things you have to get used to. When it comes to mechanical information there are a lot of "arm chair mechanics" on this site. Glad you found your problem.

almacd1814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, heat