Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2018, 05:10 AM   #1

8.3 lift pump replacement

Hello Everyone. My name is Doug and I recently purchased a 2000 Monaco diplomat with a 315 8.3 Cummins. I have diesel fuel dripping from The lift pump. I have been busy fixing, caulking, replacing floor, carpet etc. and have yet to tackle the lift pump. I am pretty handy with tools and restoring old Volkswagens, working on my daily drivers etc. What do I need to know to replace this lift pump? I have a full tank of fuel. When I remove the lift pump, will fuel come out?
Appears to be fairly accessible. There seems to be a wire connection that could be unscrewed and removed to gain better access. The truck repair place will not give me a solid estimate and claims could be as many as six or eight hours to repair, plus parts. I generally do all of my own repairs, but I don’t want to mess this up.

I will have to return to work in a couple of weeks, (I am at school teacher) And would like to get at least one little trip in before school starts up again. How awful is it to run with this drip? I don’t want to get stranded, and I don’t want to damage my engine. I would like to drive it about a thousand miles, ( Tennessee and back ) and then affect repairs after school starts.

Advice please.
Doug-Terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2018, 09:23 AM   #2

Doug
Do not run with a leak in your lift pump as it will draw in air as you drive and can damage your injection pump. Several people have upgraded to separate full time supply pumps to avoid this common failure. Sounds like you should be able to handle this yourself. Good luck with the repairs.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
There is one gasket in the entire lift pump. There are bolts than hold the motor portion to the pump Some people have had luck stopping the drip simply by tightening those bolts. Here is the cheap gasket that leaks. Cummins says no gaskets available but people have found them on eBay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170606_162141.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	214577  
Old 08-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwip View Post
Doug
Do not run with a leak in your lift pump as it will draw in air as you drive and can damage your injection pump.
Good advice!

Here is my post: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isb-...ml#post4195509

There are other lift pump posts and you want to make sure about things for your engine.

General advice, 4 hands are better than 2. It is a messy job. It is important to get the pump filled and vented.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Try tightening the 3 small bolts from the bottom. May be 10mm.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #6

Thanks all. I will tackle this in the coming days. I will post my results. Thank you again.
Doug-Terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:42 AM   #7

I replaced the lift pump in our 99 Allure. I didn't try to fix the leak which I didn't know at the time was an available or semi available gasket. It is a project you can do but there is one catch. You will need a fairly large allen wrench to take the plugs out of the old pump and re install into the new pump. They are just blanks to cover the unused openings with o rings. I don't know the size of the wrench but it is like 1/2 inch. If you get pump out first thing in am you could take it to parts story or a shop maybe and borrow a wrench and switch them around. Other than that it is pretty easy. Well you may have to be a little of a contortionist to get under bed or to pump. Good luck.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Someone posted recently a non Cummins source for just the gasket...do a search.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #9

GET IT FIXED ASAP mine was doing the same and I let it go only to have a $1400 tow bill and a $8600 freightliner bill
mwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug-Terrie View Post
Thanks all. I will tackle this in the coming days. I will post my results. Thank you again.
Observe torque values for the bolts. I've read prior threads about loosened bolts, and re-torquing stopped the leak.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #11

This is an old pdf so I can't say if the number listed is still good .

The original gaskets didn't do well with ultra low sulfur diesel fuel.

Diagram is of the lift pump and the fuel manifold.

EDIT: I found this in my notes , hope it helps ; post #4 has a link.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isc-...on-353936.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isc lift pump.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	214771  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cummins Lift Pumps (1).pdf (214.6 KB, 259 views)
Old 08-11-2018, 10:57 PM   #12

If your engine is easily accessible and even if you have limited mechanical ability, then you can do this. I did mine for the first time in about 3 hours. Simple job, no special tools other than a large allen
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:04 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Now that I'm on a computer I found where you can still buy just the gasket posted by Cewarre who has a 2002 ISC engine. Around 2004 the gasket changed slightly to where you have to change the entire housing and pump, not just the gasket or just the pump off of a newer lift pump assembly ($450). Cummins told me I could do that on my 03 ISL...NOT.

"I spoke with Carl at Capital Volvo, 1-800-247-5673 and he said he still has 370 of the aftermarket gaskets in stock for the Cummins lift pumps and gets calls quite often. They are still $6.71 each and he is shipping me two via UPS. He said the aftermarket gaskets reference to Cummins part numbers 3964385 and 4935004."

While these #s do not match the Cummins link above it would be worth hundreds of dollars in labor to be able to just change the gasket...a much easier job. If you have to change the entire lift pump, do not tighten the mounting bolts (Pump and housing to engine) until you get all of the lines reattached/started and then tighten to the engine...took an hour trying to get one line started before loosing the housing from the engine.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:26 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I did not change mine but I had to get to it to make some changes as I went to a full time FASS pump. Taking the starter off and getting it out of the way made things much easier to get to.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement