Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #1

8 KW Diesel generator oil filter question

On my past 8KW diesel generator any time I couldn't get to a Cummins shop for an Onan oil filter no. 122-0833 I could always use a Wix 51064 filter.
But for the initial 50 hour change on my 2015 Newmar the original filter I removed was just solid gray in color and had no markings whatsoever on it. So being over 100 miles from the nearest Cummins shop I bought a Wix 51064, which does cross reference to the 122-0833. But the Wix is about 1/2" larger in diameter and 1/4" taller and there just flat isn't enough room for it to fit in the space where the original filter was even though it worked fine on my past Onan.
I have used NAPA filters in the past so I went there but even though the one they sold me is the same size as the original the threads are different, fine instead of course like the original.
I called the Cummins Onan hot line and talked to the parts department which told me the 122-0833 is definitely the correct filter for my generator but that didn't help my current problem.
Anyone else had to face this problem, and if so did you find a solution, other than somehow getting an Onan filter?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
YC1

Fram PH 3593A should work

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #3

Thanks for that information. I've used the top of the line Fram on my Wrangler.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:14 PM   #4

The possible size difference is noted in my QD8000 manual. It's more common to find that the replacement is larger but the last filter that I got from Cummins was a Kubota that was the size of the factory installed filter.

BTW, If your are not aware, Kubota makes the QD engine.

Tags
diesel, generator