Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyWood View Post
I stay in the 65 mph range which is where I feel that I have the best "control". The faster can pass me and I give them every opportunity. The faster speed is just not worth it, IMHO.
Same here. 62 to 65 seems to be the comfort zone for me.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2017, 08:00 AM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought a Class A for the driving experience. I hold the line at 60 or less. I'm in no hurry to get anywhere. I'm usually in the far right lane so pass me at your convenience and be sure no wave as you go by. No worries mate.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
100% agree. Retired. What's the rush?
Not everyone is retired.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:21 AM   #32

So many varying factors on speed, as well as opinions.

-Different levels of coaches have differences in how well their chassis handle.
-Different engines have different HP/Torque
-Different coaches have different tires with say different load ratings
-Different coaches have different gearing
-Different drivers have different needs and timing on how they travel
-Different highways have different speed limits

Everyone must make their own choices on what they consider to be a safe speed for any given situation.

I personally usually drive on major interstates with the cruise set to 65-68 MPH. Not that I'm usually in any hurry, but I find that this is usually the best speed to maintain the engine RPM that I want to run at. Especially when approaching an incline of a gradual long hill. I can drop down to 5th gear, and usually the higher RPM will allow me to climb that hill without anymore down shifting required. (Our coach is 'adequately powered' when factoring weight to power ratios. We do not have an abundance of reserve HP/Torque, so close attention to engine RPM's makes a difference in our ability to pull gradual to moderate grades.)

On a highway where 80 MPH is the speed limit, we're for sure not the fastest one on the highway, and don't care to be.

I do, as I'm sure many of you do as well, maintain 'situational awareness' of the people traveling in my area. I've seen truckers, Class A's, Fivers, Trailers, Tripple Tow's, motorcycles and passenger cars - that in my assessment are driving at unsafe speeds for a specific condition. Either too slow, or usually too fast. I carefully monitor them as either I'm passing them - or they're passing me. Once behind me, I feel we're now safe from any potential problems that may occur. Once they pass me, I stay on guard until they're way down the road. Things can happen quickly. A strong gust of wind; debris in the roadway; other vehicles having problems near you, or as you come around a blind curve; other traffic coming at you, especially on undivided highways; medical things can cause a problem; etc. --- It's easy to get too comfortable, and that is when accidents happen.

And IMO, other then when they're within a zone/range that could potentially impact my wife and I as we're traveling - it's not up to me to try and control an individual driver.

I do in campgrounds, RV boards, etc. - share my opinions about safe driving techniques. Other's may agree, or disagree - and that is OK. I also listen to others opinions, and sometimes may change a technique, route, etc. - based upon what I hear or read.

The key is to go have fun, and use our gear... And dang if the DW and I are not doing our best to do this!

Best to all, travel safe, have fun,
Smitty
Old 05-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #33

Here is my two bits: I have never met anybody who didn't think they were an excellent driver...
Old 05-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #34

can`t make this stuff up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Jackson View Post
Here is my two bits: I have never met anybody who didn't think they were an excellent driver...
BINGO!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #35

Several years ago we went to look at a small class c from a private seller. The RV looked like junk but the owner couldn't stop bragging about how good it was. he even told us it really handled good and could even go over 100 MPH. We didn't buy it.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #36

We live in Texas and the speed limit is 80 in some places. We go 62 to 65 usually in the proper lane. I always see problems when drivers do not maintain a constant speed and change lanes every 2 minutes.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Jackson View Post

I work in a drivers training program designed to teach real world driving skills to younger drivers, age 21 and below. We encourage parents, guardians, those with more time behind the wheel come and learn too. All instruction is by experienced driving professionals (currently we have three who raced in the Indy 500, NASCAR, SCCA, GT prototypes, open wheel, etc). Part of our program includes a questionnaire where we try to gauge the perceptions of both students and "parents" about their driving abilities. Without fail we always get someone, and often times several, who rate themselves as a 10, or even a 10+, 10.5, etc. We find it rather amusing that these folks, none of which are professional drivers, rate themselves up there with Mario Andretti, Dale Earnhardt, and Scott Dixon.

I would suggest the vast majority of us are probably in the 4-5 range if we are completely honest with ourselves. How many think it is acceptable to drive 5-10 over the speed limit? After all, why else would they put at the bottom of the speed limit signs, "+/- 5-10 MPH"?

Just some thoughts.........
Old 05-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #38

Gulf Streamers Club
Wow, it's very evident from the variety of opinions posted in this thread that speed is closely connected to ego. I learned to drive at age 16 in a Nash Metropolitan. When I was 19 I bought my first car, a '63 VW Microbus. I've never had much need for speed or equate hp to virility. I let others battle it out on the highways and try to steer clear of the highway machismo. Works for me in 50 years of driving.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 05-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1ll View Post
How many think it is acceptable to drive 5-10 over the speed limit? After all, why else would they put at the bottom of the speed limit signs, "+/- 5-10 MPH"?
I always roll my eyes when someone says that driving the speed limit (in any lane) causes (forces?) others to drive aggressively.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:46 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Wow, it's very evident from the variety of opinions posted in this thread that speed is closely connected to ego. I learned to drive at age 16 in a Nash Metropolitan. When I was 19 I bought my first car, a '63 VW Microbus. I've never had much need for speed or equate hp to virility. I let others battle it out on the highways and try to steer clear of the highway machismo. Works for me in 50 years of driving.

Wow! Bet you wish, at least once in a while, you had that Metro and the bus still. Wouldn't it be cool to pull into a site and off load those two from your enclosed trailer. I say enclosed, as I'd want to protect treasures like that all the time. Ahhhhhh..... the Good Old Days.

As a side thought, would a Metro do 60 or 65? I'd want to drive slow anyway so others could see my treasures. LOL
Old 05-26-2017, 09:53 AM   #41

Commercial Member

Interesting how many people feel they know more than the tire companies. Commercial tires (19.5 & 22.5) and LT type should not be operated above 75 max in RV service. ST tires should not run faster than 65 unless they have at least a 10% margin on both inflation and load (down from the table max).
You may have survived a number of high speed runs but you have most likely done microscopic damage to the structure of your tires. This is why many do not get full life from their tires.
Damage is cumulative. Damage does not repair itself.

Tires do not fail because of Magic or because of the zip code of the tire plant but because of Physics and Organic Chemistry.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #42

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1ll View Post
Wow! Bet you wish, at least once in a while, you had that Metro and the bus still. Wouldn't it be cool to pull into a site and off load those two from your enclosed trailer. I say enclosed, as I'd want to protect treasures like that all the time. Ahhhhhh..... the Good Old Days.

As a side thought, would a Metro do 60 or 65? I'd want to drive slow anyway so others could see my treasures. LOL
In the '60's the Metro would do up to the speed limits, but it wouldn't 'lay rubber' like my classmates muscle machines. I bought the VW 23 window microbus for $500, drove it for 3 years (many trips from college in Indiana to parent's home in NJ) and sold it for $550. I recently saw a restored bus like mine on auction, it went for $50,000. It wouldn't pass anything but a gas station. I don't really want either car today, woefully unsafe compared to modern vehicles. Again, owning restored, shiny antiques is more of an ego or show off mentality. Good memories are enough for me.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Closed Thread