Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenman View Post
SMH Lots of fools out there.

Lots of weight on the suspension also. Since force goes up as square of velocity...

Anyhow, I found even 70 to be too fast for my taste in our coach. The bumps get handled much better at 65-67. (I'd probably drive 60-65 if not for traffic the ride is just better and wind is less of a problem plus as a bonus milage goes up.) I mean who wants to break things or simply throw things around inside the coach?

Tom

Agreed!!! I'm 60-65 65 traffic
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2017, 10:46 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
100% agree. Retired. What's the rush?

I agree. In our case, it probably takes 2 to 3 hours longer, as we stop to stretch and get outside when whenever we can. As I age, my body really appreciates that. :-)
Old 05-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
I hit the interstate, set the cruise on 60, stay in right lane, get some coffee, and enjoy the scenery..............get to actually see some of the country, and get about 10 mpg while towing...........so if those idiots want to drive 70, 75, 80...........let them............10 miles an hour greater speed over a 6 hour day only gets you to your destination an hour (+-) early.........and no one got into this lifestyle to get from place to place quickly........................

Also one of those idiots who drives the speed limit. As far as the last part of your statement goes it's exactly why I drive the speed limit, to get there quickly. I would rather spend the time enjoying the MH set up and spending time with the family I am visiting than to spend it behind the wheel.

Not everyone on this site is retired and has the time for 300 miles or 3 o'clock, only driving 6 hours a day, etc.

Just to be curious, but when you are driving at 60 mph with your coffee and enjoying the scenery, who is paying attention to the road conditions, traffic, warning signs, etc?

Signed,
Idiot
Old 05-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think we are idiot , with my 30ft gasser I drive 62mph, if I had a 45' Prevost I would drive at 75mph without problem.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Also one of those idiots who drives the speed limit. As far as the last part of your statement goes it's exactly why I drive the speed limit, to get there quickly. I would rather spend the time enjoying the MH set up and spending time with the family I am visiting than to spend it behind the wheel.

Not everyone on this site is retired and has the time for 300 miles or 3 o'clock, only driving 6 hours a day, etc.

Just to be curious, but when you are driving at 60 mph with your coffee and enjoying the scenery, who is paying attention to the road conditions, traffic, warning signs, etc?

Signed,
Idiot
I really didn't mean this as an attack on everyone who likes to drive faster (you should see some of my speeding tickets), but this particular guy was a loose cannon and I was amazed at the disregard for some basic safety stuff.

Driving faster in conditions that allow for it don't bother me a bit, and as long as you're safely operating that's fine. But this particular situation, in heavy trucking traffic that was moving along at 65-70mph, with an RV that was at least 12 years old (but did look nice), and observing dubious front shocks, swaying trailer, and windy conditions, bad road, and STILL running 80mph with rapid lane changes on BOTH sides of traffic...I would apply the idiot label there.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Interesting how many people feel they know more than the tire companies. Commercial tires (19.5 & 22.5) and LT type should not be operated above 75 max in RV service. ST tires should not run faster than 65 unless they have at least a 10% margin on both inflation and load (down from the table max).
You may have survived a number of high speed runs but you have most likely done microscopic damage to the structure of your tires. This is why many do not get full life from their tires.
Damage is cumulative. Damage does not repair itself.

Tires do not fail because of Magic or because of the zip code of the tire plant but because of Physics and Organic Chemistry.
Toyo M144 truck tires are rated for 81 mph and some ST tires are rated above 65 mph. Doesn't make it safe to drive those speeds, but the tires can handle it.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Wow, it's very evident from the variety of opinions posted in this thread that speed is closely connected to ego. I learned to drive at age 16 in a Nash Metropolitan. When I was 19 I bought my first car, a '63 VW Microbus. I've never had much need for speed or equate hp to virility. I let others battle it out on the highways and try to steer clear of the highway machismo. Works for me in 50 years of driving.

Get out of my way you dang hippie! Cause we got a great big convoy truckin through the night...
Old 05-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post
I really didn't mean this as an attack on everyone who likes to drive faster (you should see some of my speeding tickets), but this particular guy was a loose cannon and I was amazed at the disregard for some basic safety stuff.

Driving faster in conditions that allow for it don't bother me a bit, and as long as you're safely operating that's fine. But this particular situation, in heavy trucking traffic that was moving along at 65-70mph, with an RV that was at least 12 years old (but did look nice), and observing dubious front shocks, swaying trailer, and windy conditions, bad road, and STILL running 80mph with rapid lane changes on BOTH sides of traffic...I would apply the idiot label there.

I wasn't referring to your post. I quoted the post I was referring to.

Clearly there are drivers out there who haven't regard for the safety of others. I live in the Memphis area and on the 240 loop you will get run over if you aren't doing at least 65 MPH. It's a 55 MPH speed limit, and even the police blow by you, even when you are doing 10 over.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:26 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I always roll my eyes when someone says that driving the speed limit (in any lane) causes (forces?) others to drive aggressively.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:32 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
BINGO!
Double BINGO!

It's amazing the crazy rationalizing that goes on here. Two fingered 75mph driving, breaking the law by going faster than 80mph to stay in front???
Old 05-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #53

As I recall, many road signs do say "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS". Seems pretty clear to me.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
100% agree. Retired. What's the rush?

Me to, 60 mph seems very comfy.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #55

A friend of mine had a Metro. I don't think it would do 60mph, I would not wanted to be in it if it did. I drove it a few times, fun but terrible brakes. It was built on an English chassis
Old 05-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
I used to train younger truck drivers in hauling heavy loads 7 to 9 axles. The newer trucks have alot of power and are capable of going down the road at higher speeds. I would let them get used to the rig and eventually let them get up to highway speeds. The one thing that would stick with them is at 60 mph I would tell them " make a panic stop like a child just run out in front of you". They would look at me with wide eyes at what it actually took to stop that rig fast and safely. I said imagine if you were doing 70 or 80.
Some here will poo poo that but just remember that the weight ratio to brake power is the same as a loaded truck. I other words the weight of your coach whether it be 2 or 3 axles will be close to a loaded truck with the same number of axles.
It is one thing driving your Prius at 80 mph but totally different when you are packing that amount of weight.
Not to mention the extra fuel it takes as well.
Closed Thread