Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 02:59 PM   #1

$87.50 + tax or a blowout?

So, get the RV back from annual servicing, inspection and 21 point $afety inspection. On the final rough road, the TPMS system goes into persistent alarm. Slowing down and finally getting on a better road 'seems' to rectify the situation. Mind you, the RV has been on and off this road every trip for the past two seasons. There is no other way out of here.

For due diligence, I test the tire pressure on each tire. R & L Front, R read x2, then L Rear inner. The valve stem and extender fall to the ground. Hopefully the attached pictures tell the story. The valve stem/extender show unusual wear to the point of suspected metal fatigue. The tire valve itself is intact, holds pressure but is complete unprotected from further damage.

I suspect the metal fatigue was caused by road debris erosion over the years. Each grain of sand does its part, until eventually, a beach's worth of sand causes this.

The good news, I am sitting in my driveway. I have reached out to GoodSams Roadside Assistance and they are diligently doing their thing. To give them credit, this is a Sunday afternoon and there may be delays.

Your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	127069  

RMSmithJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #2

Sorry my friend but that thing has been rubbing on something for a long time, not just sand hitting it. What ever it was rubbing on will show wear also. Let us know.

jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:42 PM   #3

This shows the remaining in place valve. There is no sign of wear around the oval fixed position hole. Inspection of the valve stem on the other side shows no wear at all.

The mystery continues. Hopefully the RV Tire Tech can provide additional experience based analysis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	127098  
Old 05-15-2016, 04:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Sorry my friend but that thing has been rubbing on something for a long time, not just sand hitting it. What ever it was rubbing on will show wear also. Let us know.
George, good perspective, now I'm advancing from my plausible explanation to mystified.

Stay Tuned.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If that valve stem hasn't been supported, to keep it centered in the hole, it has likely been rubbing against the edge of the hole.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #6

I definitely am in agreement with 96 Wide glide.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Who did the inspection?

Cant believe they put a gauge on the tire and it did not fall off.

Dan
Old 05-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #8

The Rest of the Story

Tire repair guy dispatched this afternoon. Has never seen this type of failure. We both did a comprehensive visual inspection for any associated damage to the inner side walls and wheel well. This was based on the probable premise that some road debris had gotten caught up between the wheels and damaged the the valve extension.

The valve extension is a rigid metal and did not have the flexibility to contact the access hole through the rims and/or the hub cap. Again, another visual & tactile inspection.

Since the tire never lost any tire pressure, the valve extension was replaced. This one has a brass clamp that fixes it to the rim access portal. There is enough clearance within that there is no opportunity for rub.

So, next weekend there will be test road trip to see if the TPMS system has settled down. There will be unsettlement for awhile until confidence is restored.

Lessons Learned:
Not really knowing the root cause has taught me to perform even more visual inspections on this critical points of failure.
Also, the other rigid valve stem extender will be replaced with a flexible one.
And a spare extender will be carried.

What brand and supply source do you recommend?
Old 05-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Who did the inspection?

Cant believe they put a gauge on the tire and it did not fall off.

Dan
A local big truck/RV center. Been using them for several years with no prior issues. And yes, have called them with the story of this experience.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm thinking dissimilar metals between the valve stem and the extender caused accelerated corrosion.
If you are thinking of using flexible extenders on your rear dually, I'd recommend looking at the Crossfire or Cat'sEye systems. I've had the Crossfire's on for 5 years now and like them.
tomwalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
I'm thinking dissimilar metals between the valve stem and the extender caused accelerated corrosion.
If you are thinking of using flexible extenders on your rear dually, I'd recommend looking at the Crossfire or Cat'sEye systems. I've had the Crossfire's on for 5 years now and like them.
Thank you for the recommendation. I did some preliminary research and the Crossfire's look promising. Thinking about getting three, two for use and one for spare.

Still learning after all of these years.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:41 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My opinion is that you don't really need a spare. They are extremely well built - was obvious to be a quality part to me when I opened the box :>) I've never heard of a failure if properly installed - but if you did have a failure just disconnect it and order one then.
FYI - My gaser 19.5" tires are at 75PSI cold where your DP tires are probably over 100PSI cold. Just start a post asking for feedback from other Crossfire 100+ PSI users.
tomwalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #13

Update: Well, the tire issue really wasn't The Issue. Although it was a useful diversion, failure of the valve extender was a matter of time. Oh, and what looks like a TPMS warning light is really something else.

Now for the rest of the story. Saturday morning errands included taking the rig to nearby KOA to top off the LP tank for the season. Warming up the engine, watching the gauges, and I notice Compressor #2 is acting unusual, taking longer to come up to pressure than C#1. Hmmmmmm

Then down the street and down the road, C#2 pressure drops into alarm. Then immediately responds with the pressure coming back up, and it stays up while staying steady.

The KOA is only three miles away, so get the propane and tenderly return home. No further alarms. But a lot more research.

Today, I call the Freightliner 1.800 help me now number. After describing the symptoms and providing the VIN, the answer is now, Complete Service Solution 37-14. Which means it needs several jumpers replaced with an upgraded bundle.

The nearby Freightliner dealership is in the same city where I work. So am now waiting for the repair quote, parts to be ordered and repair to be scheduled. Most of the route is on smooth roads v the miserable wretched road that is being finally fixed this year. (It's the only way into and out of here.)

In the meantime, the trip for this weekend has been cancelled. One night reservation deposit forfeited. It was going to raining anyways.

So now, hopefully, the rest of this story has been told.

Fingers crossed on C#2 pressure holding for the 25 mile drive to the Freightliner Service Center. The compressors are redundant by design? Right?
Old 05-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
There is only one engine driven air compressor on the coach. However there are two air systems, usually labeled Front and Rear. If gauge(s) intermittently going to zero and and back to normal air pressure, you have a gauge indicating problem. Our 02 FL Cummins did that for 5 years. Some times daily, some time monthly. Chased our problem down to the control modular, at several 100 dollars to replace.

skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote