Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #1

88 Bounder 6.5 Onan Gen Fuel Pump Question

As said I have an 88 Bounder with a 6.5 Onan Generator---The gen won't start---Turns over but not start---I sprayed some starting fluid in the carb and it started and ran a few seconds---On the fuel pump I opened the "out" line and cranked it but no fuel coming out---So am assuming the fuel pump to be bad????---If you guys agree, where would be the best place to get a replacement---Thanks

Happy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
if it has sat for a long time it could be gum in the carb... YOu might want to try some carb cleaner before you spring for a new pump... I have bought a couple of low pressure electric pumps from jcwhitney for cars... make sure if you get one that it is for a carb, low pressure, not fuel injection... Might want to see if it has a fuel filter near the gen.
I do not have experience with gens... so maybe some else can help more...

TDiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I would check the fuel line first, especially on an 1988. It is common for the fuel line to crack from old age and suck air. Often you can't even see the crack but its there. Try running a clean new piece of fuel hose into a gallon jug of gas and see if it runs. That will also let you check the output of the pump - disconnect the outlet hose and see if fuel squirts out. That will verify the pump (or not).

Do you have well over 1/4 tank of fuel? It won't run if the fuel tank is low - that's to prevent you from stranding yourself with an empty tank while running the generator.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #4

if you have found that the pump is bad then e-bay may be the place to get a new one, or you local parts store. i got mine on e-bay for about $40.00 bucks.
good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyharold4 View Post
As said I have an 88 Bounder with a 6.5 Onan Generator---The gen won't start---Turns over but not start---I sprayed some starting fluid in the carb and it started and ran a few seconds---On the fuel pump I opened the "out" line and cranked it but no fuel coming out---So am assuming the fuel pump to be bad????---If you guys agree, where would be the best place to get a replacement---Thanks

Happy
supermod38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I would check the fuel line first, especially on an 1988. It is common for the fuel line to crack from old age and suck air. Often you can't even see the crack but its there. Try running a clean new piece of fuel hose into a gallon jug of gas and see if it runs. That will also let you check the output of the pump - disconnect the outlet hose and see if fuel squirts out. That will verify the pump (or not).

Do you have well over 1/4 tank of fuel? It won't run if the fuel tank is low - that's to prevent you from stranding yourself with an empty tank while running the generator.
Yes, tank is full---Good idea on running a short hose from gas can to inlet---Will try that first---Just curious, when I remove the rubber inlet hose, will gas just free flow through it from the main tank needing a cork or something to stop it---Thanks

Happy
Old 01-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyharold4 View Post
Yes, tank is full---Good idea on running a short hose from gas can to inlet---Will try that first---Just curious, when I remove the rubber inlet hose, will gas just free flow through it from the main tank needing a cork or something to stop it---Thanks

Happy
If the end of your fuel hose runs below the level of your gas tank, just fold over the end and clamp or zip-tie it temporarily to prevent any siphoning. Or, if its metal, a cork or plug will work. If its not pulling fuel up to the pump, I doubt if its going to siphon when you pull the rubber hose off.

Incidentally, if you have to buy hose anyway to try running it on the can of gas, go ahead and get enough to replace your existing gas line. Its never a bad idea to replace rubber parts on a vintage RV.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #7

I disconnected the inlet on the fuel pump and put a piece of hose to it from a gas can and did get it started----Cut off end of old hose and back filled it with gas and re-attached it and it started and stayed running---Tried it again today and it started again------------Thanks much for the good advice---Saved me some $$ as I was going to order a new fuel pump---Plus great satisfaction in being able to resolve something yourself, ( with a little help).

Happy

Tags
bounder, fuel, onan