Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #1

9 year old Dp's vs 3 year old gas coach

On the way home the other day I spotted an old Bluebird coach outside a used car dealer, that led to see what other DP'S were for sale on rvtrader.

For 60k you can get a 2008 Newmar Grandstar or Winnebago Destination DP
51k gets a 2008 Monaco LA palma.

I am not in an way in the market now but 60k would be affordable to me in 3 years or so, probably would get 15 for my own coach so really would only need to borrow 35-45k, that would be the max I could spend.

A 2008 DP would be a big step up from my current 2005 Gas coach.

I am only 41 and wife is 42, I dont think we will ever full time but we do use the coach every second weekend for 3 nights about 8 months of the year and try go get away for a 6-7 nights 2 or 3 times a year. I would like to do 2-3 week trips out west from next year on (we are in MI), we would just bring our cats with us, as currently have a pet sitting service

The plan had been to get a 3 or 4 year old gas coach when we change buy now I am tempted by diesels.

I do a lot of my own coach maintenance but leave the engine to the pros.

Besides the prices I mention above what kind of costs could one foresee initially after purchasing a dp? And ongoing costs vs gas?

Also is an extended warranty or service plan reommended? If so what would be the ball park price for one?

Also we do not have a toad but would consider one if moving to a more capable coach for towing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There are arguments for both sides of this issue. IMHO the diesel is going to be the better choice if you are going to be using it a lot especially if you have long drives. They are quieter, as the engine is in the rear, Air suspension ride for smoother ride. Air brakes and increased load capacity. A diesels overall maintenance is higher than a gas MH. However if you can do some of the work yourself, the higher costs will be mitigated.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
There are arguments for both sides of this issue. IMHO the diesel is going to be the better choice if you are going to be using it a lot especially if you have long drives. They are quieter, as the engine is in the rear, Air suspension ride for smoother ride. Air brakes and increased load capacity. A diesels overall maintenance is higher than a gas MH. However if you can do some of the work yourself, the higher costs will be mitigated.
I had not thought about the air ride. That's a good reason.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #4

There are lots of factors in the decision between has and diesel. Costs, what size you need, etc. Do a search for gas vs diesel in the form and there are a number of threads with lots of great information.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
9 year old Dp's vs 3 year old gas coach

We purchased a 12 year old coach 3 years ago for a a decent price, little more than what your price range is. With this we got a higher end coach for its time that had many extras. Extras we really appreciated since owning it. We were very close to spending 30k more for a slightly newer coach but I think it would have ended up being more of a disappointment for us.
So with this in mind I figured if I spend 20k upgrading and fixing then I am still money ahead. Fortunately we have not spent that much so we are even better off.
Some of the extras we got with our well aged coach.
Side radiator this makes it so much easier to access the engine area.
Hydrohot system, endless hot water, nice heating system
Freezer/refrigerator in basement
Nice leather couches
Higher end cabinets that have aged nicely
Nice size shower/tub combo
Stereo system with full set speakers and subwoofer.
Slideouts in basement storage
EMS system
Power cord reel
Hose reel for water
Auto leveling system ( not just a stabilizer like installed on lower end units)
Ice maker standalone, really puts out the ice
Old 05-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #6

Just remember, a coach at an attractive price can look nice in the pictures, but be sad once you actually tour it.so, if you do decide to upgrade, be prepared to be patient. Somebody must be lucky enough to wonderful one on your first day shopping, but more likely you will pick through a lot of junk before you find the gem.

I am also on my starter coach. Finding this one was not easy, but we are pretty happy with it. I do not fancy shopping shopping for another used coach right now.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Always buy you third coach first. Then you don't have to upgrade. We had 2 new ones and traded in for an older model 2006's then bought a 1999 Newmar and love it.
Good hunting!😍
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #8

Another reason to consider a DP is the availability of a Jake brake. Some come with an exhaust brake, but get the Jake if you can. The Jake and the Allison tranny combo can't be beat. Although not stated in other posts explicitly, a big difference in the DP vs gasser is the torque of the engine. Forget about HP, torque is what gets all of that mass up the mountain (without screaming at you). However, as others have said, if you are only going to drive, say, 5k miles per year within a days drive, the gasser will be cheaper to own. Sounds like your planned trips out west would exceed that, though.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #9

Thanks all for the replies. DP'S are like gold dust on dealers lots around here.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #10

DP vs. gas is entirely up to you, but I probably wouldn't choose a DP if I was planning the amount of travel you are. Also, the 2008 Grand Star is a front-end diesel. We were looking at getting one about 5 years ago, but we thought a front-end diesel would be loud. We were also concerned that the Grand Star was only produced 1-2 years and thought parts availability might be an issue.

That said, if you really want a diesel pusher, just look at progressively older models until you hit your price range. We love ours.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjkahler View Post
DP vs. gas is entirely up to you, but I probably wouldn't choose a DP if I was planning the amount of travel you are. Also, the 2008 Grand Star is a front-end diesel. We were looking at getting one about 5 years ago, but we thought a front-end diesel would be loud. We were also concerned that the Grand Star was only produced 1-2 years and thought parts availability might be an issue.

That said, if you really want a diesel pusher, just look at progressively older models until you hit your price range. We love ours.
Thanks,

I got a message from a member here and he told me the maintenance costs.

This is all great research, what ever coach I get at some stage I will have learned a lot in the process.

When I purchased my coach last July I did or know the 1st thing about Motor homes, we were initially looking at travel trailers but my Toyota 4 runner can only tow 5000lbs and we wanted a bit more spacious.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
You are 41 and 42. Start a saving account and save, save, save. When you have enough CASH to buy, buy.
I was brought up with the mindset to NEVER borrow money for toys. If you are just going to be using it for holidays, it is a TOY! Full timers exempt!
If you only put $200-$300 a month away in your "toy" account, you will be supprised how it adds up. Figure out the intrest you will pay on an RV loan and it will shock you.
I worked hard for the money I made, and really don't like paying interest! Rather have it payed to me.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #13

Hi unplanned,

A separate rv account is a great idea. Luckily enough our local credit union refunds about 75% of interest most years.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
You are 41 and 42. Start a saving account and save, save, save. When you have enough CASH to buy, buy.
I was brought up with the mindset to NEVER borrow money for toys. If you are just going to be using it for holidays, it is a TOY! Full timers exempt!
If you only put $200-$300 a month away in your "toy" account, you will be supprised how it adds up. Figure out the intrest you will pay on an RV loan and it will shock you.
I worked hard for the money I made, and really don't like paying interest! Rather have it payed to me.
We have bought three motorhome and several cars this way. I literally have a 'next motorhome' account and make monthly payments into it. Then use it to buy for cash.

I like to earn interest, not pay it...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas