Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #1
94 bounder issues

So... I'm not a mechanic, but I cam do things as long as I know what the problem is... and well, I just can't figure out the problem here... I have a 94 bounder that has been converted into a food truck... here's the list of issues I have had since owning... the heater/ac doesn't work anymore, all my switches to check water, gas etc don't work, my leveling jacks switches don't work, my left side of my radio doesn't work, the power switches to disconnect batteries inside can don't work... and my biggest problem is the rv is not registering a chassis battery... if I hold my auxiliary button down the rv runs like a champ, but I need to hold that button in... so there is a draw from somewhere... all batteries have been replaced, alternator was replaced even though it didn't need a new one... the truck runs and will hold a charge for a few hours, but then it dies again... most recently when trying to start the generator, it cuts out the truck... I would appreciate any info that would steer me in the right direction without having to take it to a garage and pay a ton of cash if I can fix it myself... thanks for your feed back!

CurbSideD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
sounds like an inverter/converter problem.

troubleshooting 101:

Can we tie all of the issues together? Are they related?

You have three conditions for power. Shore power, generator power, battery power.

All of the systems you are reporting as not functioning all operate from 12 volt power.

When on shore power, the voltage from the plug outside is converted to 12 volt power by the converter while some 110 volt is passed directly to 110 items (microwave,power outlets).

When the generator is operating, it takes over from shore power and it's power is converted to 12 volt power by the converter while some 110 volt is passed directly to 110 items (microwave,power outlets).

When on battery power, 12 volt is drawn directly from the batteries and no 110 is provided anywhere unless you have an inverter, which you most likely don't.

The A/C itself draws more than 12 volts, but the thermostat runs on 12 volt. Control boards for the tank and battery checking would operate on 12 volt. The control board for the levelers would operate on 12 volt.

1. Did the issues start before or after changing the batteries? We would like to rule out the possibility that batteries could be improrperly wired.
  2. When you describe the A/C / Heater, could you be more specific? Does the thermostat turn on at all? If it turns on, what happens when you attempt to control the temperature?
  3. Same question on the levelers. What happens when you press the level button? Did they ever work?
  4. Are you saying that when you release the Aux button, the motor stops?
  5. With regard to the genset, can you define "cuts the truck out"?

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #3
Ok... so the problems started before the hydraulic pump went out... but it was only a speaker problem... then the heater/ac went out... it doesn't turn on at all... then leveling jack power box quit working along with gauges (lp, water, etc.)... we figured alternator, changed it, then realized the pulley on hydraulic pump was seizing up because of bad barrings... changed tgat, but still the electrical issues... I noticed today that one of the batteries is heating up, I mean the connecting wires are heating up to the point they are starting to melt into battery... I'm thinking all problems are connected in some way... as for generator... it will shut the truck off completely... not always, moat times I can get it started... it runs just fine when aux button is in... it will run for a bit when released, but eventually dies... oh yeah, also on the leveling jacks, they worked properly at one time, actually everything worked great up until a couple years ago...
CurbSideD is offline   Reply With Quote