Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #1

94 Monaco Dynasty 8.3 Cummins wont crank

Hello guys,

I am a new remember here. I have purchased a 94 monaco dynasty about 8 months ago now. I now have a pretty major issue with it. About 2 months ago I was on a trip to south dakota and while driving down the road the motorhome shut off and I had to pull over to the side of the road. Being on the side of a highway I couldn't do much with it so I had to have it towed to the cummins dealer. They brought it next door to an allison dealer because they were to busy at the time. They spent a couple hours working on it. They started it by tieing a mechanics wire on the (fuel shut off??) to hold it on and jumped the starter. The engine started up and ran fine this way. After this they came to the conclusion that there was an issue with a wire running to the ignition relay under the bed in the engine compartment. They replaced the end on the wire and fixed some of the mounting on the relay panel. Then the motorhome was fine and I went on my way.

Now my latest trip I was two hours away from home at a campground. When we got up in the morning to leave, turned the key forward and nothing again. When the key went forward it didnt crank at all. I did the same thing they did at the allision dealer and started it. Also the steps wouldnt function, no turn signals or brake lights, no tach, no volt gauge. Not sure if these items are connected. All of these exact same items were not working when we had the issue in south Dakota. I was able to drive it home in this state since I had someone to follow me. Now my motorhome is back at my house and still wont start unless I jump it as mentioned before.

Sorry if this post is a bit long I just wanted to be as descriptive as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Kevin
kevilay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If I understand, you can start the coach if you jump it from another battery? If so, I would start by cleaning every single battery connection on the coach.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
If I understand, you can start the coach if you jump it from another battery? If so, I would start by cleaning every single battery connection on the coach.

Jim
I think you have misunderstood or I was unclear. When I said I could jump it. I mean I was jumping the starter solenoid. Since its mechanical I can use the mechanics wire to the tie the fuel on, then with the key in the on position I used two screwdrivers to jump from the starter + to the starter solenoid to crank the engine and it fires right up. However none of the accessories I explained before work in this state.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #4

Hi Kevin. Your ignition switch controls two circuits. The first, the "run" circuit which powers all of your gauges and the hold circuit of your fuel shutoff solenoid. The second is the start circuit. It powers the activation coil of the starter solenoid and the pull in windings of your fuel shutoff solenoid. It appears, if I understand your description properly, that both functions are failing. I would start with a VOM test of the ignition switch. Is there power to it? Is there power output to the run circuit when in the on position. And finally, is there power output to the start circuit when the key is held in the full clockwise position. Hope this is of some help.

Don
DonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #5

Kevin, I should have added: Our coach is a 96 but built on a 95 Spartan chassis so I expect we have a lot of similarities. If it will be of any help to you I can e-mail the Spartan wiring diagrams for our coach.

Don
DonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonL View Post
Kevin, I should have added: Our coach is a 96 but built on a 95 Spartan chassis so I expect we have a lot of similarities. If it will be of any help to you I can e-mail the Spartan wiring diagrams for our coach.

Don
That would be great, I pm'd you my email address.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The 1994 Monaco Dynasty is built on the Roadmaster S Series 8 air bag chassis.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #8

Today I checked the relays for the neutral safety and also for the ignition relay in the engine bay under the bed. Both are functioning properly. The ignition relay transfers 12v when it clicks as the key comes forward and the netural safety relay transfers ground signal as when the key comes forward. I found the ignition solenoid in the comparment outside to the left of where the driver sits. I am not sure how this functions. There are two large terminals, + and -. The one small terminal shows -12v when the key is forward. I can feel the solenoid clicking.

When I have the key forward and the dash lights on they do shut off along with the backup camera when I try to crank the motor. It feels like a dead battery in a regular car however if I do the procedure to start it with the fuel shut off tied up and jumping the solenoid on the starter it starts right up.

Where do I go from here? Does anyone have the wiring for the ignition key switch. I accidentally knocked the wires off at the end of the day and am not 100% sure where they were on there. There are 4 wires, orange, brown, red, and yellow.

Also is there is a list of ground points? Maybe I have an issue with a ground somewhere.

Thanks again for your help,
Kevin
Old 09-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #9

The issue turned out to be a loose connection on the main power coming into the re-settable breaker bar in the back of the coach. Also the ignition switch was bad.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard Kevin. Congrats on solving the starting problem. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:22 PM   #11

1959VetMark

Hi Kevilay,

I was in search of info on a problem we are having on our 1993 Monaco Dynasty. You problem is like ours. I would appreciate any info you have on this problem, including the wiring diagram on the ignition switch as well.
1959VetMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, monaco