Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #1

94 Winnebago Adventurer Generator fuel draw problem.

This is a cross post from the General Forum. My apologies, I didn't see the Class A specific forum.

I have recently purchased a 94 Winnebago Adventurer with a Chevrolet P30 Chassis. I cannot get fuel to flow from the tank to the generator. The generator runs if I supply gasoline from an external source.

The steel line has been replaced by a rubber one with a squeeze bulb for priming. The tank is full.

What is the location of the Generator Fuel supply fitting on the tank and how do I access it?

Thanks in advance for your help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #2

Have you removed the line to the carb and put 12v on the pump? Sounds like a pump problem to me.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I posted a response on the Winn page. Did you get a mirror and check the rubber fuel line attached to the top of the tank?

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #4

Thanks, The fuel pump works fine when I attach an outboard motor tank to it. I am traveling and haven't tried to see the top of the tank. I will give it a shot when I return home this weekend.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #5

no disrespect but it generally pays to ask the obvious questions first.
Are you working with at least a quarter tank of gas in the motor home? Most gensets have a different pickup which doesn't go as low as the engine pickup so you can't run your coach out of fuel by running the genset.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntorg View Post
The steel line has been replaced by a rubber one with a squeeze bulb for priming. The tank is full.

What is the location of the Generator Fuel supply fitting on the tank and how do I access it?

Thanks in advance for your help
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbrushguy View Post
no disrespect but it generally pays to ask the obvious questions first.
Are you working with at least a quarter tank of gas in the motor home? Most gensets have a different pickup which doesn't go as low as the engine pickup so you can't run your coach out of fuel by running the genset.
I think the answer is YES.

johntorg, Try blowing air into the gas line to the tank. If you hear bubbling in the gas tank, you'll know the pick up and line is open. If no air goes through the line, you know it's kinked or blocked. If air goes through and no sound of bubbles, then the line might be disconnected, cracked, or broken. You could also use suction on the gas line, but I'd use a vacuum pump or a way so you don't ingest gasoline. If you do apply suction, if you get gas, the line is open, if you don't or get lots of bubbles, you've got a cracked or broken fuel line.

If gas moves through the line, the next step would be the fuel pump and relay that triggers the pump.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Went thru a similar situation with my FIL's truck recently. The thing would run, stall, run, stall. I checked it one day and after a stall found the carb was out of gas. A couple of days later a BIL changed the fuel pump, filter and fuel line from pump to the carb. Ran a little longer between stalls, but still stalled-

I found the problem the next weekend: the rubber fuel line between the tank hard line and the inlet side of the pump was old and soft, and the pump was sucking air where it connected to the hardline. A $3 piece of hose and it's been fine ever since...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #8

Thanks, for all the suggestions. Since the generator runs fine with the outboard motor tank attached to the fuel pump, it is most likely sucking air. I will try blowing air through the line and look for leaks or blockages. so far I haven't been able to see where the rubber line connects to the tank. I'm traveling again this weekend, so it will probably have to wait until Monday for further investigation.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another idea. I spoke with a guy who had a rotted hose, it connects into the top of the tank. So he needed to drain and drop the tank.. He took a short cut. On his (Workhorse) their was a knock out plug for fill & vent pipes on the other side of the tank, He went through the small vent pipe knock out, with new fuel grade hose, let it drop into the tank and he was back in business. Cheep fix until you "get around to" dropping the tank.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #10

Thanks, since my tank is full and I don't really want to drain it, that may be a good temporary alternative. I'll take a look and see if mine is configured that way.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #11

I have the same issue with a onan 6500. The set has always run great and cuts out when fuel tank gets low. Found that out on my own... Here is my current condition. Gas is full, electric pump works, gen runs great with external fuel supplied. So then I blow air into the fuel line and air goes into tank. The fuel tank makes a lot of noise when trying to expand. I then use suction and I create almost 30" hg and no gas comes out. I would think if there is a crack in the line the suction would slowly leak. So i am wondering if there is a check ball or something else inside the tank that could create this.. Any feedback would be great....
Old 06-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
I've not encountered a check valve in a fuel line. I'd think perhaps the fuel hose has collapsed internally. When you apply pressure, it expands and opens up. When you draw vacuum it collapses and prevents fuel flow.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #13

I have the same issue on my generator. At first I blew out the line by the tank and replaced all the line to the pump. But now it has stopped working even with a full tank. I've seen a few people use outboard boat fuel tanks as a temporary fix. I was thinking of doing the same but mounting it under the RV so I don't have the fume issue. Eventually I will drop the tank, but don't have time now.

Any advice?

Tags
fuel, generator, winnebago