Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #1

'95 Tracker

I recently purchased a 95 Tracker with intentions of using it as a toad. The car is manual transmission, 2 WD. In reading through the car's manual it states the car cannot be towed 4 down. Why is this and are there folks who do it anyway? I always thought any manual transmission could be towed 4 down.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #2

Thats just the way it is! I had to pull one on the back of a wrecker with the rear wheels down 2wd and by the time I got the 40 so miles the thing was smoking. I don't remember if it was auto or stick gut either way "no way Jose". One thing they do make great toads used a few in my time and now I tow an XL7. All were 4wd.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regwal View Post
I recently purchased a 95 Tracker with intentions of using it as a toad. The car is manual transmission, 2 WD. In reading through the car's manual it states the car cannot be towed 4 down. Why is this and are there folks who do it anyway? I always thought any manual transmission could be towed 4 down.
I have a 96 Tracker 2WD Manual Trans and tow it 4 wheel down. I turn the ign. key to the 1st position and make sure the car is in neutral with parking brake off ... no issues so far. I typically tow it about 250 miles each day (of a trip) with about 2 stops for snacks.

The only issue I had was unrelated to the trans. See here:
Wacky Geo Tracker Head Shake!

Resolved with new front struts and a steering stabilizer. Some Geo's do it and others are fine.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #4

Does it have a driveshaft you could disconnect? Surprised you can't tow it as well.....
Old 12-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towing 95 Tracker

I have a 96 Tracker 2 WD 5 speed manual. Put it in neutral, steering wheel unlocked and go. I have towed this car the better part of 40000 miles with no issues.

Larry
Old 12-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regwal View Post
I was curious so ran a couple of internet searches. How to Tow a Geo Tracker | eHow About half way down the page under Tips & Warnings this says the two wheel drive should not be towed four down unless the drive shaft is removed.

Tips & Warnings

• To tow a two-wheel-drive Tracker with all four wheels on the ground, the driveshaft must be removed. Remove the U-joint bolts at the rear of the driveshaft with an adjustable wrench in a counterclockwise direction. Lower the rear of the driveshaft from the vehicle and slide it toward the rear of the vehicle until the front of the driveshaft clears the transmission tail shaft. Stow the driveshaft in your tow vehicle to be reinstalled later. Reinstall the driveshaft in the reverse order.
  • General Motors does not recommend towing a two-wheel-drive Tracker with all four wheels on the ground without removing the driveshaft. Serious transmission damage could occur.
  • According to General Motors, do not tow your Tracker over 50 miles per hour or serious damage could occur to your vehicle.
  • While towing your Tracker, never move the ignition key out of the "ACC" position to ensure that the steering column stays unlocked. If you turn the key to any other position, the steering wheel may lock and your steering column could be damaged

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_5932590_tow-geo-tracker.html
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:11 AM   #7

BTW, I tow my 96 Tracker 2WD Manual Trans but do not exceed 65mph (except brief periods). This is only because my Tracker is not a car I actually like to "drive" faster than that.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #8

I would guess it has to do with oil circulation in the tranny. Probably the oil is circulated when the input shaft is turning, when towing 4 down, the input shaft would not be turning.
I towed a Tracker 4 down for 12 years... but it was a 4x4 Auto.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I would guess it has to do with oil circulation in the tranny. Probably the oil is circulated when the input shaft is turning, when towing 4 down, the input shaft would not be turning.
I towed a Tracker 4 down for 12 years... but it was a 4x4 Auto.
Well ... it's possible but not likely. I don't have my Repair Manuals handy but everything behind the synchros are turning and dipping in oil. It certainly wouldn't hurt to (after stopping for a snack) have the co-pilot get in the car, depress and hold the clutch, shift into a gear, have the pilot tow the tracker 10 feet or so and stop, shift back into neutral and release the clutch, get back in the RV and go on with travels. That should dip the gears on the input shaft into some oil since the synchros will engage the front shaft.

It's more likely that GM/Suzuki eliminated any possible warranty/liability issue with a few words ...
Old 12-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Well ... it's possible but not likely. I don't have my Repair Manuals handy but everything behind the synchros are turning and dipping in oil. It certainly wouldn't hurt to (after stopping for a snack) have the co-pilot get in the car, depress and hold the clutch, shift into a gear, have the pilot tow the tracker 10 feet or so and stop, shift back into neutral and release the clutch, get back in the RV and go on with travels. That should dip the gears on the input shaft into some oil since the synchros will engage the front shaft.

It's more likely that GM/Suzuki eliminated any possible warranty/liability issue with a few words ...
I agree with you 100 per cent. I have replaced the transmission on a 2 wheel drive Tracker. It is just a standard manual transmission nothing exciting or computerized about it. The Gear train is all in oil so there is nothing that i can see which would make a difference whether or not it is being towed or the engine is turning.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I agree with you 100 per cent. I have replaced the transmission on a 2 wheel drive Tracker. It is just a standard manual transmission nothing exciting or computerized about it. The Gear train is all in oil so there is nothing that i can see which would make a difference whether or not it is being towed or the engine is turning.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The transmission has bushings instead of bearings and upper shaft doesn't turn in oil. replaced all upper parts when it locked up. Found out from the local trans guy, who also flat tows a Tracker, to overfill the trans by standing the car on the rear bumper when filling, or through the stick. Did this 10 years ago and still towing 4 down. No drive shaft disconnect or removal necessary.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #13

This is a bit off topic, but I had a '97 Tracker 4wd that the manual said could not be towed 4 down. Had to tow it on a dolly with the rear wheels off the ground. A total pain. Now have a '02 that I have towed for about 30k 4 down, but you do have to start it and let the engine run with tranny in 2nd gear and transfer case in neutral for about 2 minutes every 200 miles. That is per the book.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
The transmission has bushings instead of bearings and upper shaft doesn't turn in oil. replaced all upper parts when it locked up. Found out from the local trans guy, who also flat tows a Tracker, to overfill the trans by standing the car on the rear bumper when filling, or through the stick. Did this 10 years ago and still towing 4 down. No drive shaft disconnect or removal necessary.
Well ... it does have bushings but they aren't instead of bearings. The tranny has ball bearings, roller bearings and needle bearings in cages. The bushings are part of the needle bearing assemblies ... essentially they are inner races.