Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #1

96 Bounder 28T Fuel system question

Hey Folks,
New to the forum and love the wealth of information here.
Here's my situation. Just bought this MH with 3500 miles on it. It's pristine. 2 problems. One is that the fuel gauge is stuck on "E". With the ignition off it is in the middle of the red zone, when I turn the ignition on it buries all of the way down. I just put 70 gallons of fuel in it and hoped by driving some it might free up a stuck float arm on the sending unit but no luck.
The second part is that I am not getting fuel to the generator. Is the fuel line just an open line into the tank that is 3/4 of the way down and I have a clogged line? Or is there some correlation between the the stuck fuel gauge and some kind of shut off valve to the generator fuel line? Thanks for any input.
vanlagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Typically, gennies won't start with less than a quarter tank of fuel. It does sound like a possible sensor issue.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #3

Here is a link that will help you understand and diagnose your fuel guage.

Diagnose Fuel Gauge
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:12 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I guess my real question would be, does anyone know if the fuel gauge reading E on a full tank of gas would shut of fuel supply to the generator?
Old 04-30-2016, 06:26 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
My guess (emphasis on 'guess') would be that the non-working fuel gauge and no gas to the genny are unrelated.
I've got a '96 Southwind, so our rigs are very close cousins.
One day I was running the generator while a buddy and I were working working inside on the RV. We noticed as we moved around that the generator would miss, if we stood still it ran fine. About an hour or so later the fuel got low enough that the generator ran out of fuel. Clearly what was happening as we moved around inside the RV was that the fuel in the tank was sloshing enough to cause it to get a gulp of air every so often.
I realize that's not a very scientific measurement, but it certainly leads me to believe that the generator will pull fuel until it can't find any more, as opposed stopping with the gauge is at specific point.
So for you generator I'd look for a bad fuel pump and/or a plugged line.
For the gauge check the wires on the sending unit, it sounds like a bad ground to me (that's what a problem was once for me when turning on the key would bury the gauge on E).

Good luck
Old 06-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #6

Problem solved. The 2 were in fact, unrelated. The brass float had cracked and was full of fuel. The fuel line on top of the sending unit was indeed cracked from age. I went ahead and replaced the whole sending unit and all of the rubber fuel line to the generator because I'm not interested in dropping the fuel tank again anytime soon and I heard the original sending units were known to crap out at 35,000 miles or so.

Tags
bounder, fuel