Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #1

Hi guys, We got our new to us MH this past July from a widow who hasn't put 500 miles since her husband passed away 8 years ago. After we bought this we took it to a Hd truck mechanic to have it checked....... Coach batteries were new summer 2009 and we were told they were in great condition(Excide Gc110 6v). The MH has a solar panel..... I know nothing about it but when it's working, the red LED om the a/c, housing is lit. I installed a LED voltmeter in the motorhome electrical panel so I could more easily monitor the condition of the coach batteries. On our 1st and only weekend of camping in a nearby state park.... The voltage that I was seeing was 12.7 while the generator was running for about 2.5 hrs. It got as low as 11.4vdc. We had no issues..... Everything worked great (but I noticed that the led. For the solar system wasn't lit on Sunday, the day we went home. Got the motorhome back to the house and parked it and left it for a week. This past weekend I went out to driveway camp and the LP gas detector was sounding and voltage was showing 10.9vdc. When I plugged into shore power and shut off the battery disconnect switches off, the LP detector worked fine and the gas flowed(shuts valve off when off or alarm is Sounding) I have had the charger on them for the past 30 hrs (6amp 12v..in series) voltage is now up to 14.6 and charge amperage is down to 3.......And....... Everything is now working as it should. Solar panel was showing working today and LP detector is working just fine on the batteries. I guess my question is was the voltage just to low? Anyone else experience something similar?.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
KIX

Batteries should not be discharged below 50%........12.0 volts IS 50%. So, 11.4 volts was seriously discharged.
Do you have an onboard battery charger and if so, it';s apparently not working.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #3

the on-board charger(converter??)does work though i'm not sure what kind of output it has. I've seen a max of 13.3v while on shore power. But have never been plugged in for more then an afternoon. and I've never ran the generator for more then 1.5hrs at a time. How much does a solar charger actually do. do i need to check its charge volts & amps to see to expect of it? I am new to the motorhome scene though i have been camping all my life.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand1 View Post
the on-board charger(converter??)does work though i'm not sure what kind of output it has. You need to know the lingo........a charger is just that. It charges your batteries. A converter converts 110 volt AC power to 12 volt DC power.
I've seen a max of 13.3v while on shore power. That sounds like your charger is working.
But have never been plugged in for more then an afternoon. and I've never ran the generator for more then 1.5hrs at a time. See my post about about your quoted 11.4 volts. Maybe you need to hook up os run the genset more often.

How much does a solar charger actually do. do i need to check its charge volts & amps to see to expect of it? I don't know a lot about solar. But, the OEM ones are pretty low wattage units so I wouldn't count on it for a power source
I am new to the motorhome scene though i have been camping all my life.
Lots of good guys on this site and the group can usually answer most any question. Just don't be shy to offer details along with your questions.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #5

Yeah..I knew the solar panel was just to charge & am not aware of what kind of actual voltage and what rate they charge at.
as far as the converter....i was under the impression that it was the converter that charges the coach batteries while plugged in or with generator running. I have not seen or read of anything else that converts from 120(a/c shore or gen power) to 12v coach system......i thought it was the charger. (other then engine altenator).....I appreciate the info....trying to learn.....i'm just relieved things seem to be working again.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #6

Some additional info...converter is an Inteli-Power pd9550, 900w, 13.6vdc 55 amps. & in the manual for the inverter, it's referred to as inverter/battery charger........which also makes me wonder...max output of 13.6v.....I thought two 6v batteries in series should charge to 14.x vdc at full charge. I know that a typical 12v battery(powersports) full charge is often 14.6-14.8vdc. (i'm a service manager/tech at a BRP dealer)
Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you sure about the converter model? Could it be 9155 or 9255?
Does it have a Inteli-Power "charge wizard" connected to it? The 9255 should already have the Charge Wizard and pendant. If you don't have one on a 9155 you need to spend $30 and that will change the converter into a perfect battery charger/maintainer and add years of life to your battery's. It also allows you to recharge your battery's at 14.4 volts like you were asking about.

It appears that your converter isn't working. Check the 30 amp fuses in the connector end of the converter.
You also should have 2 circuit breakers in your BCC (Battery Control Center) black box mounted under the front hood in front of the windshield on the drivers side. Be very careful when ever you remove the cover. (It has exposed battery cable ends etc. and 18 more fuses for misc. items) A schematic is on the back side of the cover.
Dwight
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #8

Opps..... Inteli-Power PD9055......
Old 10-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Your Progessive Dynamics PD9055 is an old single stage charger/ converter. The max output voltage is 13.6v. Progressive Dynamics still makes the best converter/chargers, it's just yours is sorely outdated.

At 13.6v it takes longer to charge batteries. Once charged, that voltage is too high and boils the batteries, prematurely expelling water.

A new PD9255 charges at 14.2v until battery reaches 90% charged. Then drops to 13.6v to finish full charging. Then drops to 13.2v to maintain battery without boiling. Then once per day, it puts out 14.2v for 20 mins to equalize them. I leave mine plugged in 24/7/365 and add water about once per year.

If your solar panel is the original with the coach, it's probably only 10-15 watts. Unless you live in AZ, that's just not enough to maintain batteries, let alone charge them. Living in MI, my 20w panel is totally useless.

Your coach batts will drain from the 2 detectors running. Some coaches will allow them to run with the disconnect switch in disconnect, some don't. So you need to checks yours. If I were you, I would leave connected to shore any time you can to maintain batteries. If you keep your charger, just be sure to check water once per month.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #10

There is a definite leaning curve with going from a pop up to a class A. I will definitely be looking for some upgrades for it this winter. It is the original solar panel...... So I'm pretty impressed with the fact that it lasted 16 years and is still going. Think I'll see what I can find for a new converter and install while stored.......... Might look at solar panels and maybe look for an inverter and try to modernized some more....... Thanks guys for your feedback!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #11

Just a little more info for you guys. I'm pretty sure that my coach batteries are bad. Tonight, while I was winterizing the MH, I unhooked the charger...... Was drawing about 1.5amps and voltage was at 14.6 while being charged. With various lights on & water pump, voltage dropped off to 12.4v in approximately 25 minutes. Hooked up the charger again when I was done & it started by drawing 5amps(6amp output charger). Literally 2min later, voltage was back up to 14.4 & drawing about 1.5amps............. Though I didn't take the reading at the batteries.... Guess I better also check connections for corrosion and make sure that they are tight.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
KIX

In post #3 you said that the most you've seen was 13.3 volts. Now you're seeing 14.6 volts. And then in post #6 you say the specs for your charger are a max of 13.6 volts. What are you using to measure voltage?
The mere fact that your charger is trying to recharge your battery bank after you've used some of the stored energy is a good thing. I'm just questioning your reports of voltages. does the charger voltage ramp down as the batteries charge or is it a single stage charger?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #13

13.3v was while on shore and/or generator. When on an actual battery charger is when I was seeing over 14volts (automotive battery charger)
Old 10-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand1 View Post
13.3v was while on shore and/or generator. When on an actual battery charger is when I was seeing over 14volts (automotive battery charger)
OK....makes sense now