Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #1

97 Coachmen F53 460 – Need some suggestions for an engine problem

I have a problem that I am trying to resolve and I am hoping that the RV forum family can give me some advice or suggestions. I have a 1997 Coachmen Catalina, F53 460 and I am encountering issues when I take off or when (not always just occasionally) when I slow down. I have replaced the fuel filter and get good gas flow from the fuel pump. I will do my best to explain the issue that I am having.

When I start up the RV I will turn the key to on and then off (I will do this about two times) and then it will turn over fine and idle great and sometimes when I rev the engine it will sputter and sometimes will die, but I will restart it and it will run great. There are times when the RV starts fine and idles great, but when we are taking off the engine will sputter, backfire (from the tail pipe) and will not die, but it will not speed up (nothing over 35 mph) at all. When I turn off the key and start it up again the RV runs fine. It is like rebooting a computer and it seems the problem will correct itself. It will run rough at times but rarely and yesterday when driving the check engine light does come on but rarely, but I would stop turn off the key and restart, light goes off and everything is fine. Last night I hooked up the OBD I diagnostic tester and I got the following memory codes showed: 111 (System checks OK); 10; 172; 181; 153 and from the codes: 111 is system ok, 10 is ???; 172 (Oxygen sensor not switching – system is or was lean – Single, Right or Rear HO2S – Fuel control); 181 (Fuel system was lean at part throttle Single, Right or Rear HO2S – Fuel control); 543 (Fuel pump monitor circuit shows no power – Power / Fuel Pump Circuits), Based on that I am thinking of replacing the HO2S and then not sure about the monitor circuit showing no power.

I apologize for a lengthy description but I wanted to give you all a somewhat clear picture of what is going on. I should also note that I put some Seafoam when we took off on our trip last Friday.

Ok – any ideas, helps or suggestions?

Howard
howardmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 02:44 PM   #2

Check fuel pressure with a gauge see what's going on while it's doing what it's doing, idle should be 30psi under load 40 psi.
Intermittent power to fuel pump could be the fuel pump relay, might be other relays in the fuse box to swap to test this theory
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:21 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree with Ransil. Check the fuel pressure. Simple flow doesn't tell the story.
Idle should be 30 PSI Minimum pressure. 32 - 34 is better.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:40 PM   #4

Check fuel psi with a gauge. What you describe is a classic fuel pressure problem. Don't waste time and money replacing o2 sensors. They are doing their job and reporting a lean problem, no fuel.
badturks5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
P0172

P0172 is not a lean code it is a bank #1 (passenger side on a ford) rich code. If the o2 sensor is telling the PCM that it is getting to much fuel the PCM will cut back the injector pulse width so it will get less fuel thru the injectors. Without monitoring the datastream while running to be for sure a bad bank 1 o2 sensor is the likely problem. 10 is just a spacer code, the codes before the 10 are current codes the ones after are memory codes.
c3p017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:14 AM   #6

The poster said OBD1 you are listing OBD2 codes. I bet its a lean fuel problem
badturks5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #7

Thank you for that and I am going to check the fuel PSI while I am driving to see if is good. I am also thinking of replace the fuel pump relay. I will let you know what happens.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:52 AM   #8

97 coachmen fuel issues

Well I have replaced the relay switch, did not touch the o2 sensors and I used a better fuel pressure tester (got from a friend, mine was on a cheap model) and the fuel pump pressure will show 15 psi to 25 psi when running, but if I turn off the key and restart the pressure is fine. Last night I noticed that the fuel gauge does not respond when I turn on the key, not sure what that is.

I have not tried to use the OBD I when it is running but hopeful I can get to it this evening.

I am so frustrated by this problem but i push on. I created a separate post about using an inline electric fuel pump and which one I should use.

Thanks for all your help. We have owned the MH for approximately 3 months and having this problem right away is hard to take , since all we want to do is enjoy it.

Howard
Old 06-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sure sounds like a failing fuel pump. A replacement pump assembly also has a new sending unit and float for the fuel gauge so that may fix that issue as well.

If you want to do it the right way and replace the in-tank pump, you'll obviously have to drop the tank to do it. Some people have managed to cut a hole in the coach floor to access it but this may not work on yours if there are vents, plumbing or other restrictions in the way.

Motorcraft Pump Assy: PFS48 @ RockAuto.com (Ford # F6PZ-9H307)
Wiring harness kit is Motorcraft number F7PZ-9A213-BB and the label also says WT56820.

Here's one older thread with pictures.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/f-53-...res-75723.html

Attachment below is one fellow who did the external pump. To me it is a band-aid but its your call and if your sending unit for the gauge is bad, it won't fix that.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DirtRods external fuel pump.pdf (299.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #10

Thumbs up

I have resolved the problem by taking it to a ford dealership and they replaced the fuel pump and now it runs perfectly. Just want to you let all know who have helped me on this issue.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:21 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Howard and thanks for providing a follow up.
While your wallet is probably still bleeding, you are no doubt glad it is finally fixed.
Happy Camping!

Tags
coachmen, engine, f53