Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2015, 06:46 AM   #1

98 American dream

Newby to the site. ....plugged into shore power. ..new batteries. ..not charging. ...have hooked up to battery charger. ...still not charging. ...any suggestions thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 07:09 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Hi Mark,

Not sure how familiar you are with the coach, so here are some initial thoughts.

Assuming you have the Heart Freedom 20 inverter and control panel, is the red light on the panel lit that indicates incoming voltage from your shore power? Do you have 120 volts in the coach (the microwave clock would be on if you do)?

At your entrance door, just to the left as you are entering, there are two intellitec switches, one for the coach batteries and one for the house batteries. Both have indicator lights above the switches. Are they both on?

If you have power, your chassis and coach switches are on, and you confirm there is no charge with a volt meter across your batteries, then the converter (within the inverter) may be an issue. There are fuses inside the inverter as well as two breakers on the outside. Check these to see if all is well. Caution - inside the inverter can be a dangerous place so if you are not comfortable with this type of work it would be best to defer to a trained technician.

Also, considering your year it would be a good idea to make sure all your electrical connections are tightened. I know this is a big job, but many electrical problems have been solved by insuring connections are properly tightened.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Clark View Post
Newby to the site. ....plugged into shore power. ..new batteries. ..not charging. ...have hooked up to battery charger. ...still not charging. ...any suggestions thanks
It is very common for people to hook up new batteries wrong. A lot of people take pics before they take out the old batteries so they can see how to hook up the new ones. I suggest that you study how to hook up batteries in series/parallel and check all of your connections. Good luck.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:56 AM   #4

Thanks for reply.....had Cummins northeast install batteries after completion of rebuild. ....there is also diagram on battery door. ..it looks as it should. ...I'm plugged in and dc volts read 11.5....refrigerator still on gas even though I tried putting on 120....love the coach and I know that as long as you own a older coach it will be.a Constant work in progress ...all fuses and breakers good. ..I'm leaving chassis switch off as I understand that will discharge also....they register good. ..but they didn't until ran coach. ..thanks for your help. ..great site
Old 10-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Does one of your roof AC's run on shore power?

If so, you have 120 to the rig from shore power.

If not, there could be your problem.

Does your battery get 13+ dcv or does the roof AC run with generator running?

If so and shower power does not work, then you may have a stuck 120v transfer switch. Whack it with a hammer (lightly).

If refer is working on gas, it has enough dc voltage to power the controls. But it does not have 120v from shore power to run the cooling. (check items above.)

If you have shore and generator AC power, then the problem is at the inverter/battery charger or the batteries themselves.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:35 PM   #6

Just checked ac....will not turn on. ...I have 11.5 dc volts. ...found inverter. ...is the transfer switch in same box....batteries are brand new last week. ...thank you for your help. ...
Old 10-13-2015, 02:52 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
If your roof AC will not turn on, you do not have 120Vac to the coach from shore power.

Therefore, your battery charger has no power to convert to 12v and send to batteries.

Check that:

120vac circuit breakers for shore power at cb panel. Are they on?

120vac circuit breakers for AC unit. Is it on?

If the above are ok but still no roof AC:

Shore power outlet. Do you have power there?

Shore power cord. Does it have power at the coach end?

Transfer Switch. Is it stuck on the default position of Generator?

To check, start the generator and wait for a couple of minutes Can you then start your roof Air Conditioner?

If so, then check voltage at the batteries. It should be about 13.5 to 14.4 dcv if the inverter/charger is working

If no power to Air Conditioner from the generator, then your transfer switch has likely failed, assuming the circuit breaker for the AC is turned on at your panel.

Note: There is probably a transfer switch inside the inverter (switches between shore power and battery power sources) but this is a problem for an inverter function not a battery charger situation.

There is a stand alone transfer switch that defaults to Generator for 120vac power and, if it is working and shore power is present, will automatically switch to shore power source.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #8

Thank you very much. ..I will check and reply
Old 10-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #9

I have a heart interface source manager 20....where is the transfer switch. ..there is 8 relays in box 4 ac panel 4ac lockout
Old 10-14-2015, 07:18 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
The transfer switch on my 97 Dream is under the bed. There is a cover on the front left side under the bed, covered in ozite. Remove the cover and, if it's like mine, you will see a transfer switch. If you have power using the generator, then this transfer switch may be your problem.

If the coach has been used in a way that the transfer switch as been working under heavy load when switching, then the contacts may be pitted/burned on the relay(s). Also, check the connections for the proper tightness. This transfer switch controls power coming from either shore or generator, and I believe the default is the generator.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #11

Still working on it. ...can you tell me where transfer switch is....all points on relays are free....I understand that if you tap on transfer switch that it may be all it needs. ...hopeful thinking
Old 10-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #12

Mine is on right side of the bed...consists of 8 relays 4 on one side 4 on the other. ...no switch
Old 10-14-2015, 05:27 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Clark View Post
Mine is on right side of the bed...consists of 8 relays 4 on one side 4 on the other. ...no switch
The relays are the switch. The switch is (basically) hard wired so the generator will run the coach even if shore power is connected. When shore power is "felt" by the relays, they will energize and pass that AC to the main power panel, ACs and inverter. Technically, the relay is normally closed on the generator side and normally open on the shore side. Hope this helps.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #14

Spartan Chassis
I have a 99 Eagle with the same heart interface. Left side under bed with 8 relays. Making sure no power is supplied to coach - remove the six screws that hold the relay plate down. This plate is hinged and will allow you to raise it up. Look under the left side of the entire unit and you should see a red reset switch. Give that a try. The relays should reset immediately. If you are not comfortable performing this procedure, call Allied Recreation - the tech will walk you through it or provide you with other options.