Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 07:44 AM   #1

98 American Dream overheating at idle

My 98 spartan chassis american dream is over heating when I am idling for any peoroid of time. I see the fan motor appears to be hydraulic. there is a round tank at the left of my engine compartment that appears to be some type of power steering fluid. My question is can anyone tell me what type of fluid tp put in this tank. It is low and I am hoping that my fan is not working properly at low rpm.
I just done know what type of fluid to add.
thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #2

Why don't you call Spartan give them your vin number they should be able to tell you.
Shadow0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow0120 View Post
Why don't you call Spartan give them your vin number they should be able to tell you.
I figure there closed on a Holiday Weedend. I am on the road so I would really like to get this sorted out. I have there number I just did not think anyone would be there.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #4

Wow thanks.. I called Spartan, they did have someone there. I found out it is Dexron lll If this happens to anyone else. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedman42 View Post
My 98 spartan chassis american dream is over heating when I am idling for any peoroid of time. I see the fan motor appears to be hydraulic. there is a round tank at the left of my engine compartment that appears to be some type of power steering fluid. My question is can anyone tell me what type of fluid tp put in this tank. It is low and I am hoping that my fan is not working properly at low rpm.
thanks
There should be a label on the tank specifying the type/grade of hydraulic fluid. Some say AW 46, I don't think mine is that high a number, more like 36. I would go look at mine (99 Spartan MM GT chassis) but I'm confined to my house, torn calf muscle. I just found this Spartan Chassis maintanence info: Spartan Chassis RV Maintenance Schedule | Brakes & Hydraulics - Part 3
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
3 stacked filters????

Quote:
thanks
There are filters in that tank also, might need changed???
Old 05-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #7

Yes! There is a filter inside and it should be changed every other year. Changing it is easiest if you pump as much fluid out through the fill/dips stick hole as possible first. If that filter is old and dirty, it will limit fluid to the hydraulic cooling fan in lieu of to the hydraulic steering pump. The steering pump takes priority over the cooling pump. Spartan will provide you with correct filter part number.

Jeff on Lake Conroe
1997 American Eagle
2013 FJ Cruiser 4x4 Toad
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #8

do you have to remove the tank? or do you just remove the Top of the tank
Old 06-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #9

Quote:
do you have to remove the tank? or do you just remove the Top of the tank
Just the top of the tank, be very careful about contamination (clean hands etc.).

It may be worthwhile to have a heavy truck shop replace the fluid and filters at this point.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:14 AM   #10

I checked the filter. My mechanic said he replaced the filter when whey put a new power steering pump on last fall. The fan is not working at all now. I am trying to find the sensor that tells the fan when to come on. I think it is either the sensor or the hydraulic fan motor is bad. you can turn the fan but not freely which I think is the way it should be.. Any help at this point would be welcomed
Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #11

My 93 Pase had a temp switch on the side of the Cummins. off the frame between the engine & the side radiator is a nydraulic manafold with a couple solenoids. My fan has two speeds, low & high. Should be running in low all the time & will kick into high speed when the temp goes up.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #12

Ok so I am at the Fleetwood, Spartan service center in Decatur Ind. The problem is a Valve body for the hydro. This directs 4.5 GPM to the power steering and everything else to the fan motor. The Fan on my unit is a single speed that runs all the time. It is not running now.(I installed a electric fan to get me here, Worked pretty damn good too) Thus the mechanic said that is why I am seeing MPG up to 9.8.. Damn the bad luck. He said when the fix the fan that will drop more than likely..
Old 07-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #13

Wow the Service at Fleetwood was great. They have a lot with electric hook up for you to stay if needed. They also allowed me and my wife and dogs to stay in the coach while they did the work. They pulled us in a 6AM. They fixed our curtains that needed some of the tabs sown in, They fixed one of my basement doors for me, fixed my power gear leveling system, replaced proportional valves for my fan motor and steering (They are both Hydraulic and run off the power steering pump,) They also fixed a short in my electrical system causing me to loose all power.
The price for all of this $1245.00.! They have certified spartan chassis man on site. I am a very happy camper..

Tags
heating