Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #1

98 Beaver Monterey...Questions about Winterizing

Hello, All...

I have taken a contracting job in Pennsylvania for this winter. I will be living in my 98 Beaver Monterey. They're predicting a cold winter up here, so I want to be ready.

What precautions should I take to prevent busted pipes?

Also, where does the heat for the heated basement come from?

Lastly, I'm only going to use my diesel fired Aqua Heat system as a back up or if the temps get really cold. Plan on my primary heat to be a catalytic Buddy propane heater in combination with a couple electric space heaters. Is this a good plan?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Roy
Sandcassle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure about your Coach and if it has basement heat, a small space heater in the water bay with a thermostat on it so you can set it at a desired temp. The only problem with heating with aux. heaters and not using your furnace is things in the floor and below will not stay as warm. Like I stated I am not sure of your system but a small heater in the basement will keep things warm and your floors also. Where are you going to be in Pa.? north or south?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #3

Hey, Palehorse...I'm kind of Southeast PA...close to Lancaster...
I'm thinking I have basement heat and this is how it probably works...when it gets cold, I can hear a fan running somewhere under the floor in the area of the basement.

I'm guessing about the way this works...there's probably a heat exchanger with water from my hot water heater circulating through it...when the temp drops, a circulating fan kicks on to distribute the heat...

What do ya think?
Old 11-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
My basement heat (fan) has a switch in my wet bay that says heater on-off. When turned on, and the furnace starts up that fan in my basement also starts blowing along with the Coachs furnace fan. So my basement is heated from the proopane furnace and a blower supplys heat to the basement with a fan through a flexable 4" hose. Do you have a hydro-heat or some sort of a hydronic heating in your Coach? (Hot water heating)?
Old 11-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #5

Yes, I have the Hurricane Diesel fired hydronic heating system.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Take a look in your wet bay and let us know what you find.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #7

No switches in my wet bay whatsoever...but I do hear a fan running and it's cold...
Old 11-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandcassle View Post
No switches in my wet bay whatsoever...but I do hear a fan running and it's cold...
What heating do you have on when you hear the fan? Do you have a furnace along with the hydronic heating?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #9

No furnace at all. Just the Hydronic system. I've been using electric space heaters and I just bought a Little Buddy propane heater, which works well.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
What about carbon monoxide from the propane heater?? Make sure you have a working CO detector!!!! I would not use a propane fired heater in my coach...

Dave
Old 11-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #11

I have 3 brand new carbon monoxide detectors and I crack a vent when using the heater. Also, it's turned completely off before I go to bed.

I really don't have any other options. The hydronic heat would be way to expensive to operate full time with diesels prices like they are, not to mention depleting my fuel tank on a regular basis.

The electric space heater are also expensive to operate and they only work so well.

I really don't have any other choices I can think of, other then the propane heat.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
You are going to have to get some kind of heat in your basement when the colder weather comes to Pa. ........and it will come.

Tags
beaver, winter