Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
99 allure or 99 winnebago ultimate

Need a little advice please.Im looking at these coaches both are close in miles and in good shape.Winnebago has 330hp Cat Freightliner XC,Allure 400hpCummins which do you think has better chassis package,handling,and ccc?Ido plan on full timing in2014.Both coaches have limited maintance records but seem to have been cared for. The Winnebago has jacks while the allure has air bag leaveling I dont know which is best,allong with engines.Both coaches are within $500.00 of each other.Please let me know what you Pro's think. Thank you in advance for any input

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I am not a pro and have only 10yrs experience with a CC Magna.

I really like air leveling. It is a bit limited in range correction, but it will level whether on sand or mud and not get its jacks stuck. However, you will need a separate jack to raise a wheel off the ground.

I would really prefer the 400 Cummins. And because I do the maintenance on my engine, I would require a side radiator.

Country Coach built it own chassis which was modeled on the Gillig Bus chassis used until about 1997. I believe Winnebago uses a modified Spartan or Freightliner truck chassis.

Better handling is in the perception of the driver and the type of ride that is desired.

If either rig has a tandem rear axle, that rig will have the higher CCC. It would be good to have either rig weighed before purchase to determine the actual CCC at its present state of modification.

My opinion is that Country Coach built a quality coach with quality materials. But, the interiors were more for RVing vs Camping.

Winnebago has been building coaches since the wheel was invented and is still in business. They have identified and served their customers well.

Condition, condition, condition is probably the most determinate factor between the two targets.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #3

All things being equal CC hands down. Good hunting
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

I think Dean did a good summary. I'll add that if you would update you post with the length and if either coach has a tag, that would also assist on more input.

From what you have posted, I'd actually prefer the more power/torque of the ISL400 (And, I would double check if it actually is the ISL400, as the Allure's of 2003 and 2004, had the ISL370. I'm not an expert on Country Coaches, so perhaps the ISL400 was available in the era Allure...

I also agree with Dean on getting inspection... Pull the oil samples and run analysis for sure. If you are not up on things, would be money well spent to pay for an independent Pre Inspection. (Not from the place you are purchasing the rig from.) Non documented proof of maintenance, is a cause for solid due diligence on your part.

Both are good rigs, but IMO, the Allure is in a slightly higher food chain.

I like the ride of our era Allure, but we have a tag, and Road King shocks and Super Steer Motion Control Units - so not a stock Allure.

If both coaches meet your needs, then as Dean said - condition rules!!!

Best of luck, and have fun in 2014!!!
Smitty
Old 05-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #5

The '99 CC Allure did not come with a 400 anything, the ISC either 330 or 350 was standard not sure which, no option. The Allure is way higher up the food chain than a Winnie, the chassis is bullet proof, and the air leveling works fine. Having had jacks and now air leveling, I'd never go back.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Don.I was told by owner it had a 400 hp Cummins,I am not serious enough about the coach to check serial numbers so I assume you are correct.As far as being higher on food chain than the Winnebago I am not sure what you mean because the Allure I am looking at has a lot less options and features than the Winnebago a few are energy management system opposed to a breaker box on the Allure,also has sink in toilet room and all the plumbing fixtures are very nice.So if you can help me understand what you mean I would appreciate it as I am still trying to learn the class A units. Thanks again and please follow up on this.Have a great day.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #7

I have owned a 2000 Win Ultimate Freedom and a 2002 same model. Win started putting out their Ultimate line in 99 and for that year both were Freightliner and Cat engines 275 and 300 for the Advantage and 300 or 330 for the Freedom. In year 2000 the Freedom was on a Spartan with Cummins 350. They stopped producing the Ultimate line in '04. I was very happy with my two Ultimates, I think they were a nice coach for the money. I was at Lazydays around May 5 and they had a 99 Freedom on the lot to sell...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #8

WT, in '99, the Allure was the bottom of the CC line. The Winne in question was the top of the Winne line. The Allure systems are plain and simple plus easy to fix if anything goes wrong. In '99, CC had what I call a "plain jane" approach to coach building, no real fancy stuff, no gizmos, just a solid functioning coach. I don't know anything about the Winne you are looking at except that you are comparing a entry level CC to the top of the line Winne. With the price point being within 500 bux of each other would tell me which one has held their value better.

Go bang on the bottom of the cabinets in both coaches, look at the hinge hardware, etc. and see which one feels better constructed.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ok thanks Don that makes a lot of sense to me. I have drove both coaches and although it was a short drive around 30 miles or so both handle like a car on air.I will contine to look at the items you brought up and anything else I can find. Thanks again for the good points.

Tags
winnebago