Well, I called Carefree of Colorado and asked their support guy about this.
You are correct, there is only one spring and it does go on the rear facing end of the fabric tube.
OMEGA II SPRING REPLACEMENT
This procedure will require two people.
1. Extend the room out, do not
extend the awning.
2. Remove the case. It will be
necessary to pull the strap out of the
case through the bezel. Squeeze
the rubber grommet to fit through the
bezel. Set parts aside and save.
3. Release the LH arm lock.
4. Firmly hold the left arm and remove
the attaching screw, spacers and nut
at the bottom of the arm. Save parts.
5. Have a second person firmly hold and support the roller tube.
CAUTION When removed from the mounting bracket, the spring is under extreme tension and will unwind
quickly. FIRMLY hold the arm!
6. Partially pull the arm and spring from roller tube. The arm must be out far
enough to clear the room flange .
7. Unwind the spring. To unwind, firmly hold and rotate the arm over the top
and towards the vehicle. Continue until there is no tension in the spring.
8. Drill out the rivets holding the bushing in the roller tube.
9. Remove the spring and bushing from the roller tube. Separate the
arm and bushing from the old spring.
10. Slide the bushing onto the new spring with about 6" of the spring
extending out past the end of the bushing.
11. Slide the spring and bushing into the roller tube. Align the bushing and
press the bushing into the roller tube completely.
12. Rivet the bushing to the roller tube using two (2) 3/16" x 7/16" pop rivets.
13. Attach the arm to the spring. The post in the tube of the arm aligns with the
slot in the end of the spring.
CAUTION While the arm is not attached to the bracket, the
wound spring is under extreme tension and will unwind quickly.
FIRMLY hold the arm until it is attached to the bracket!
14. Firmly hold the arm and turn the spring to add winds. To wind, rotate the arm over the top and away from the vehicle.
One complete turn equals one wind. This procedure describes the room open, awning closed.
ROOM WIDTH WINDS
10' or less 21
10' 1" and longer 23
15. Press the spring and arm into the roller tube.
16. Attach the arm to the bottom of the bracket with the screw, spacers and nut removed previously.
17. Lock the arm.
18. Thread the pull strap through the bezel of the case. Align the case on the arms and attach using the #10 x 5/8"
screws removed previously.
1999 HR Endeavor 37WDS
Handicapped Lift Equiped