Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 10:39 PM   #1

99 HR Endeavor 37WDS dash panel flashing all lights on and gauges sweeping...

Driving to the Akron Camping World to drop off my coach for new MaxxAir fans and new bump out awning fabric that was destroyed in a recent wind storm, I had my entire dash panel light up and then go back to normal status with no lights.

This tended to happen when hitting rough pavement where coach status light panel would have all the lights light up, all the gauge needles would sweep down and back to operational status and the panel lights would all go off indicating normal operation.

The light panel I speak of is the one that shows red or yellow status for the coach functions like parking brake, and that light that tells you to wait before starting the Cummins.

I did not have any drive issues, just the intermittent dash thing.

Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Check the ground strap to the entire panel, that is the common for all the panel.

LEN
Old 04-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #3

Bad Bolt

I am assuming your HR is built on a Freightliner chassis. If not, ignore the remainder of this post.

Your "message center" is temporarily losing power. Here is the sequence it goes through on initial power up:

Initial Power On
When the ignition key is turned to the ON position, the following events occur: All of the message center (MC) lights illuminate. The icons (warning indicators) illuminate for 1 second, performing a bulb check and indicating that they are all working. After 1 second, all of the lighted icons go out except for the:
• low oil pressure
• low air pressure
• parking brake
• check engine The lights in these four icons go out once the engine has started and air pressure is above 70 psi (485 kPa). The parking brake icon remains illuminated until the parking brake is released.
NOTE: The right-hand bottom position of the MC is not used at this time. Also at initial power on, the instrument pointers move counterclockwise to the zero position and vibrate briefly. This is a calibration function of the instruments allowing them to have a zero reference for operation. This is a normal function and occurs each time the system is powered on.

The VDC feeds the message center. The message center then feeds the guages.

Freightliner Service Bulletin 54-12 describes the system and includes troubleshooting info. You can get a copy of SB 54-12 at:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/go...13_sbu5412.pdf

Since you indicate no drivability problem, I would assume that all is well with the system up to the VDC. If you were losing power to the VDC, then I think the coach would malfunction also (my guess).

I'd be looking for loose connectors between the VDC and the message center, and connectors between the message center and the gauges. I've read several posts of problems with a connector between the message center and the guages. I assume this is on the message center, but I've never seen it. If you find nothing with the connectors, I'd also verify good battery connections.

I hope you find a simple solution. Post the resolution when you find the cause.

Fred
Old 04-15-2016, 05:55 AM   #4

About as good as a reply as I could expect, Fred!! and I think you may have solved my problem for me. I cannot test until I get my coach back from CWorld.

I am such a dope...

Last fall, I replaced a bad ring connector on one of the wires going to the chassis batteries. This spring, I noticed the nut was loose that clamped all the smaller wires going to the battery post and I only hand tightened them down because I had no wrench and we were hitting the road for a short day trip to Columbus with my family......guess what? I completely forgot to circle back after the trip and tighten that dang battery nut.

I'll let you know if that is the fix asap.

Thanks very much for reminding me of the SIMPLE things to check!!!

Tags
light, lights, dash, panel, gauges