Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2015, 09:53 AM   #1

99 Winnebago long storage

Looking at a 99 Winnebago 32 ft class A, 15,000 miles. Ford V10. Parked for several years. Where do I start? I am comfortable with almost all repairs. I am thinking fluids , brakes, roof. Any advise is great. Maybe too much to take on!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coachmandave,

Welcome to the forums! That vintage was nice and you could be getting a good one if the price was right. I seem to remeber that the early V-10's had a valve and/or spark plug issues. The plugs had very few threads and had a tendancy to blow out of the cylinder heads. Ford redesigned them slightly around '01 or '02 I think. Not everyone had this problem but many did...they have a fix for it though...just budget that in. If you're not a mechanic or have a friend who is, I would pay one to look at the rig's running gear for you and give you an evaluation. Just as important- how does it smell inside? If it's damp or moldy smelling move on, repairs can get very expensive. If it passes the sniff test, look at the roof inside first- open all closets and cabinets and check for water stains everywhere you can...sometimes you'll see them around vent openings or where the antenna crank is- anywhere there is a roof fixture. If all this looks ok, I would say you're good to go and you should have fun with the new rig. As far as appliances and systems...if they've been sitting awhile, they might need cleaning and servicing- much of it you can do yourself. Feel free to pm me if you need anything else and again- welcome!

Old 10-25-2015, 01:50 PM   #3

Add to the above is a safety issue - the tires. If they are 6 or 7 years old, start budgeting for new ones. Blow outs become much more common with age of the tires. There is a date of manufacture code on the out side of the tire wall. If you can't find it on a tire, look at the tire on the opposite side of the coach.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:45 PM   #4

Thanks for the info, especially the spark plug issue. I am a G M guy but Ford makes a good product. Yeah the price indicates issues, below $4000. They lost interest and parked it. I razed a couple of class C's I picked up cheap and scrapped to part out. I wonder if that RV had a rubber roof or metal. I guess I will soon see for myself. How about the generator? Any ideas? Thanks for the input.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the roof was fiberglass- even on the class c's for Winnebago...one of the few manufacturers to do so. They still offer a 10 year limited warrantee on them. The generator will need a complete service and an estimate for a shop to do this could be as high as $400.00 or so. most or all of this work you could perform yourself. It involves a total fuel flush, replacement of filters, spark plugs, etc. I'll see if I can attach the PDF's of this model for you. As an aside- I'd estimate that a good example of this rv at resale would be in the neighborhood of $10 to $15k. Now, you might surpass these figures if you bring the rig back into excellent condition but to me it might be worth it. These rv's were a very good mix of technologies for the time and would make a very satisfying investment in fun for the future IMHO.

http://winnebagoind.com/resources/ma...nnieWinnie.pdf

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...00_sealant.pdf

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...00_sealant.pdf
Old 10-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #6

Good advise on the tires. I bought a TTrailer, 6 yrs old, old tires. Bad news! Looked good, lost a tread. $4000.00 later back on the road. Dry rot is expensive. The dealer gave 2 thumbs up on the tires!! Cheaper and safer to replace. Thanks for the info. Good stuff!
Old 10-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #7

Awesome! I was concerned about the roof. My last class C was parked under a tree. The leaves are thru the roof. Looked like a star lights when I stripped the ceiling. Hopefully that isn't the case with this one. The owners manual is great and so much easier to use than Coachmen. Thanks so much. The owner is dealing with serious illness so I can't see it yet. The generator service sounds easy enough. Maybe this week we can open the door !!

Tags
storage, winnebago