Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #1

!994 Fleetwood Coronado will not crank

I have a 1994 Fleetwood colorado motorhome, gm chassis, 454 engine. The engine will not crank, starter only clicks. I bought this motorhome about a year ago and I'm new to owning one after being used to travel trailers. I decided to replace the batteries because of age, one 12 volt and two 6 volt. Since replacing this problem happened. I had some problems getting the 6v batteries hooked up correctly so I may had added to the problems. I have replaced the starter motor and ignition switch, cleaned all battery terminals. Engine voltage drops below 5 volt when ign is turned to crank position. Battery voltage above 12v at access and main batteries. Checked intellitec BCC, no voltage at fuses at bottom of board, voltage only on one side of ign relay. Power on both sides of other relays. Please help Had plans for camping this week but it seems that it wont happen unless I can get it fixed quickly. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
You sure you got the battery wires on the correct batterys? What is the volts on the cranking battery before trying to start it. the 6v batterys gets hooked to make 12v Pos wire on + then - to + on the 2nd then - to ground wire. The main only has the 2 battery terminals that go on the post. Are the disconnects working can you here them pop when button is pressed.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #3

Got 12v across the 2 6v batteries, hooked up in series. When ign in crank position 6v batteries stay at 12 volts, but he rest of the engine electrical system goes below 5 volt. Checked ground terminals with Ohm meter and loaded ground with a halogen bulb. Both disconnect switches click when turned on and off. Aux start switch does not make a difference.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
No need to worry on the 6v batterys that the house part the 12v is the one in question have you check all the fuses there is the small fuse box to the left of the BCC that has the main fuses in there
Old 07-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #5

Have not seen the other fuse box, Ill look. The one 12v should be for the engine power right? I noticed that when I disconnected it to replace the starter that I still had ignition power with the key switch on. I thought that should remove all power on the engine side. Thought that the 6v batteries was for camper part only.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thats the way it should be the disconnects should cut all power, still strange with a new battery that it drops to 5v have you looked at the engine ground straps and are the battery terminals in good shape and clean.

When you say it drops are you seeing this through a meter at the main battery or looking at the dash volts meter
Old 07-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Got 12v across the 2 6v batteries, hooked up in series. When ign in crank position 6v batteries stay at 12 volts, but he rest of the engine electrical system goes below 5 volt. Checked ground terminals with Ohm meter and loaded ground with a halogen bulb. Both disconnect switches click when turned on and off. Aux start switch does not make a difference.
Ok, a couple of questions.
1. Where are you measuring the voltage? At the battery post? If you place the multi-meter probes on the actual battery positive and negative post,(on the lead part, not on any bolt or wire or connector) and get someone to attempt to crank the engine, what do you get?

2. Did the engine crank before you replaced the battery? You mention that you purchased this coach over a year ago. Has it been started during this time?

Based on your description, and assuming you are checking the voltage at the battery post, if it was me, I would be looking at the starter. If a new battery ( presumably a good battery) has a voltage drop from 12 to 5 volts something is drawing a lot of power. A stuck starter will do just that. Do me a favor, try starting something else from that 12 volt battery. Try jumping a car/pickup engine from that battery and see what happens. If the car/pickup engine starts fine, but your coach does not, I would really suspect the starter.

Keep us informed as to your answers, OK? Remember, you problem could be ours someday.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #8

Got it fixed. Found a loose ground at the back of the left cylinder head. This is the main ground from the 12 volt battery and has a frame ground strap here as well. Thanks for all the help. Now its time to go camping for the week.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bad grounds will do just that, it was pointing that way being you swaped the starter and the battery Now go have some fun!!!

Tags
fleetwood