Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #15

Sounds like you know what you got to do so good luck and be sure to let us know how it all turns out!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
There may be some resource for you in CA. Locally a few years back a used car dealer was found liable for selling a car with mismatched tires. The young driver was killed in an accident not far from the dealership. I don't remember all of the details. I think CA requires some sort of brake inspection prior to sale, maybe tires also?

From what I am finding out it should of been disclosed how old the tires are... CA has a lot of laws and I am sure this is one of them! I am not looking to get rich or give me $$ but I do not want this to happen again to someone else. The thing that really pisses me off is, it's going to be in the shop a while and my insurance rates are going to go up!
Old 09-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar08 View Post
Would be nice to know who the crocked dealer who sold you and UNSAFE MH.
Pacific Coast RV in Atascadero
Old 09-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same issue back in 2000. Bought a used class A and did not know any better about tires. Blew one in the passenger rear which took out the other one. Lucky for me Virginia has a state inspection requirement and this rv was inspected before my purchase. I went back to the dealer and asked him to pay 1/2 of the cost for 6 new tires. I felt that 1/2 was a fair compromise. I probably could have caused problems for the dealer since the sidewalls were cracked on the other 4 tires. No way should the dealer have passed inspection on this rv with those tires. I suspect they were trying to unload it at minimum expense and maximum profit. The State police would have had an easy case against the dealer's State inspector for violating State inspection laws.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:28 PM   #19

Most good insurance companies do not surcharge or drop you for a comprehensive type loss and this is one. Get too many more and it could be an issue. Talk to your agent. I was in insurance claims 30 years.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #20

Where does the responsibility of the buyer come into play? Not to be argumentative, but if the buyer is not informed on what to look for on a nine year old motorhome, why is that the fault of the dealer? If the dealer had said the tires were in good shape, then he could be liable for replacing them, but if he made no such claim, why should the lack of a buyer being informed, fall back in the dealers lap?? I feel for the predicament the OP is in, but if it was an "as is" sale, it's the buyers responsibility to either accept it as is or negotiate changes before the sale. That requires being informed.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #21

If he bought it off Craigs list that is one thing. He bought from a dealer who claims to have done a safety inspection and checked it out to make sure all is working and safe!!!!!!!! Plus this didn't happen two years later it was a fresh purchase!
Old 09-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold View Post
If he bought it off Craigs list that is one thing. He bought from a dealer who claims to have done a safety inspection and checked it out to make sure all is working and safe!!!!!!!! Plus this didn't happen two years later it was a fresh purchase!
Yes, if a safety inspection was done and the tires were checked off with a passing grade, the buyer has a recourse. If there was no safety inspection, which I don't know if it's required on an RV, and no written warranty, then it's buyer beware.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
The State police would have had an easy case against the dealer's State inspector for violating State inspection laws.
Maybe, maybe not. Michelin tire co. has actually said in some publications this cracking does NOT affect the longevity of the tires life.
I have a tough time accepting this. I have seen Michelin tires on cars and trucks two years old with cracks I wouldn't feel safe with if they were on my vehicle.
Personally, you couldn't run fast enough to give me a Michelin tire to use on anything.
I replaced all 6 tires on my MH with Firestone for this very reason when I brought it home. I bought from a private party and knew this going in.
The tires were Michelin when I bought it. Yes, they were cracked and only 4 years old.
Lynn
Old 09-06-2017, 06:10 PM   #24

Bottom line is most "reputable" dealers put on new tires if over 5 years old and just factor into the price of the unit so they don't get into this situation.

They don't do an inspection and say nothing, maybe some clown dealer would try to up sell some new tires but here tolandbros knew nothing of the old tires it sounds like. And if he did turn down new tires the dealer surely has it in writing.

I would also confront Pacific Coast RV to either pay for rental RV or pay your monthly rent while in shop. There is precedent for loss of use.

After this I am sure he will never let another RV go out with old rotten tires.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolandbros View Post
What I am getting at is the dealer should of told me the tires were 9yrs old. They have been sitting in the sun, rain, cold for 9 years.... I just feel it was a safety thing and yes I feel fortunate to be alive or not hurt but I mean I paid a lot of money for this thing and what was $2k more on my loan or in the price??? Isn't that why they do the inspection is to disclose or find these issues. I mean the pain and agony and now the $7k to fix it in my eyes is BS! I have to make payments on this while it is in the shop! the biggest issue I have now is the fear driving it moving forward!
Why did you not check the tires yourself? Granted the dealer "should" of check, but ULTIMATELY your the buyer and YOU should of check the date codes.

There are enough threads on this website that go over tire age etc. also buyer check lists.

Sorry for your problems
Old 09-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #26

Send a certified letter to the dealer.

Send a letter to the dealer and ask for an adjustment. If you get no response or an unsatisfactory response then write a letter into Trailer Life or Motor Home action line. I'm sure they could use the free publicity.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #27

Sorry this happened. Terrible. Not to mention a hard lesson to learn. Hopefully you have some recourse in CA. But jumping into an RV you are buying and driving away without knowing the the age of the tires is on the buyer mainly. It is your purchase. Your family. Your safety. Gotta know what your are getting into with an RV and all the things that go with it and take responsibility.

Suggest you go through the rest of the RV in detail to see if anything else is going on (missed).
Old 09-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Where does the responsibility of the buyer come into play? Not to be argumentative, but if the buyer is not informed on what to look for on a nine year old motorhome, why is that the fault of the dealer? If the dealer had said the tires were in good shape, then he could be liable for replacing them, but if he made no such claim, why should the lack of a buyer being informed, fall back in the dealers lap?? I feel for the predicament the OP is in, but if it was an "as is" sale, it's the buyers responsibility to either accept it as is or negotiate changes before the sale. That requires being informed.
agreed.

Tags
dealer, purchase, tires