Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #1

Cool A and E electric awning

I attempted to post this question earlier, so I'll try again. I'm a new member. The electric door awning would not roll in. Tech took apart and noted that the matching face to the motor drive on the left end of the roller was worn away. Prior to replacing the end, I would like to know if there is a tension spring inside the roller.
Dekester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:12 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
You have a motor on one side and the spring on the other it will be smaller than the regular awning but it still has tension, not as much as the big awnings because the motor pulls alot of the load to roll up.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #3

Smile A and E Awning

Thanks to you nightriderrv. I believe I should feel confident removing the end cap and replacing it without fear of a spring flying out and emaciating me.
Dekester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dekester,
The problem you are having is a known design defect. Go to Door Awning Clutch - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery and Door Awning Clutch - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see the broken part. One can make their own key with a very small screw or two. Consider buying a new part and keeping the repaired part (with the screws mentioned earlier) as a spare. PPL has the part for about $100.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
JBC

Broken Door Awning Fix

Hi Dekester
I followed the suggestion of Gary and was able to fix the problem with my door awning. The picture gallery will show you the part - a Left Hand Roller Tube Cap.

Per the experience of many other RV members, the motor is usually not the issue; it is the Left Hand Roller Tube Cap that is causing the problem. You can go on the A&E / Dometic web site and request a schematic of your awning http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas/USA/Customer-Support/. I have an Oasis Awning Model 973 on my Bus.. 1st. You need to remove the door awning from your RV in order to get to the Roller Tube Cap. Most awnings are fastened with three screws (you will be able to see them when the awning is open) and caulk. Most of these awnings have been mounted / slid onto an awning rail that is also attached to the coach. Once you have removed the screws and cut the caulk, you will need to gently pry the awning away from the coach (behind the holes that held the screws is more caulk) by lifting / rotating it up from the bottom. Working from left to right, go under the awning with a flat head screwdriver (cover its blade to protect the paint) & pry up. When you hear the pop, from each of the dabs of caulk, you should be able to slide the awning off the rail. Also, before taking it down, you will need to remove the front and back motor cover (4 screws) & then cut the 2 wires that run to the motor from the coach.
2. Test your motor to make sure it works using a 12 volt battery charger. You will know right away if it is working. If it is, remove the motor assembly unit (2 screws and a rivit. What you will then see is the Roller Tube Cap pictured in the gallery. This part is pressure fitted into the roller. I had to use a vice grip around the small cylinder and a rubber mallet to get it out.
3. This is the part that needs to be tapped (8 - 32) and fitted with a 1/4 " (8-32) set screw This part has a "D" shaped key that mates with the shaft from the motor. This part has soft metal which wears out quickly and causes the awning to release. By tapping and inserting a set screw, you will eliminate the problem. 4. The motor assembly has a bearing plate with 3 bolts holding it against the motor. Remove the bearing plate so that you can mate the two "D" keys and adjust the set screw to a reasonably tight fit. After the adjustment, pull them apart and reattach the bearing plate. Then line up the "D" key in each part and push then together. You will probably need to use a rubber mallet to get both parts flushed together. 5. Now slide the whole assembly back into the awning roller (it fits in only one way). You may have to use the mallet to get a proper & tight fit. Meanwhile, the right side of the awning roller has slipped out of it fitting, so be sure to aline it.
You may need help from a partner to keep the left side alined. Then reattach left side motor assembly to the awning. Now, using you battery charger, you should be able to open and close the awning (red to red / black to black for one way then to reverse, go red to black / black to red).
Be sure to clean off the caulk on the back of the awning so that you get a clean mount. Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Dekester,
The problem you are having is a known design defect. Go to Door Awning Clutch - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery and Door Awning Clutch - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see the broken part. One can make their own key with a very small screw or two. Consider buying a new part and keeping the repaired part (with the screws mentioned earlier) as a spare. PPL has the part for about $100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekester View Post
I attempted to post this question earlier, so I'll try again. I'm a new member. The electric door awning would not roll in. Tech took apart and noted that the matching face to the motor drive on the left end of the roller was worn away. Prior to replacing the end, I would like to know if there is a tension spring inside the roller.
JBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning