Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
A&E WeatherPro awning

Here is one of those "never heard of that" things.
Awning suddenly decided to roll itself up, nearly 12 hours to the minute, after being un-furled.
No wind, rain, stray signals....just 12 hours, that's all you get. Started doing this a couple months ago...
I have a new control box in hand, and a new wind speed sensor, will install these, as soon as I get over my broken heel situation. I lost a debate with a ladder last Febuary..that's another story.
Just like your experience with the awning, ever had that happen??
Thanks!
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #2

A little different situation today. Could not get awning to roll in today. New motor installed in October 2012 and rolled out yesterday with no problems. Sitting here at Mayberry Campground and decided to bring in awning with weather getting bad and would not roll up. Waited about an hour and tried once again and rolled right up. Still scratching my head over that one.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi free-to-roam,
I'm not sure about the 12 hour thing, but if it is hot out the auto retract sensor has a maximum temp of about 120 degrees F. Up on the roof it can easily get that hot. Once that happens, the awning will retract. When the unit has the auto retract turned on, do you hear a beeping sound or is everything quiet?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi free-to-roam,
I'm not sure about the 12 hour thing, but if it is hot out the auto retract sensor has a maximum temp of about 120 degrees F. Up on the roof it can easily get that hot. Once that happens, the awning will retract. When the unit has the auto retract turned on, do you hear a beeping sound or is everything quiet?
I just had that type of problem fixed only mine was a bit severe. When sensor turned on you heard a beeping sound and after about 5 minutes it just rolled up by itself. Shop tried a new board and just used a new cable to attatch sensor to it. still did it. got a new weather sensor and tried that still had problem. They called factory and did all troubleshooting factory said to do but still did not find it. Had unit on seperate battery, seperate board seperate sensor, seperate cable everything. Just out of everything to try the tech tried replacing the new temp cable he had with another on and everything started working. When he was finished with the coach he wound up replacing the sensor board and the speed sensor on top. I just added problem he had to point out the cable could be bad between two. It is just a telephone type cable they use and he had a new one out of the package bad.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the input...
Temp sounds interesting, but, it is likley not a factor. I say that because if I put the awning out at, say 10 in the morning, it will stay out all day, and retract between 9:45 and 10:30 in the evening...it will stay out all day, in the heat. Interesting.
My sensor is "new and improved", and is on the end of the awning frame. Looks a bit like a two tiered pagoda.
Took it off last year because there was erratic behaviour, cleaned it out, bug webs, out it back, still erratic. More or less forgot about it, as it stayed out, but was not as wind sensative as it should have been.
I get NO alarms, or beeps when it is operating...
Perhaps I should give A&E a call...
Thanks!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #6

I have a 2005 Expedition which I bought new. Less than a year into it the wind sensor had to be replaced. Fast forward to about a year ago and my interior control box began to beep on the auto mode and the awning would roll in. I now leave the switch on disable and all is good.

I never did trust the wind sensor to curb damage from the wind. To be honest I would prefer a manual one but it was already installed.
expedition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi expedition1,
The beep means one of two things:
1. The roof top sensor is soaked and needs to dry out. The beep will continue until the sensor dries.
2. The beep of death. The roof top sensor or the control board is bad and will need to be replaced. The beep will continue forever or until the broken component is replaced.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi free-to-roam,
The new and improved versions are beyond my personal skill level. When you figure out what the fix is, please post it here.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
My control box does not make a sound. If I disconnect the auto plug, the awning rolls up. I would have to disconnect the power plug to keep the awning out.
The control unit is burried in the back of an outside storage area.
I have a new complete replacement, control box, and sensor.
Gave up and bought it. Right now I can't install the sensor on the arm, that has to be done from a ladder, and that's out of the picture until July...
I noticed the other day, the strip of LED's that indicate what wind speed you have set, I think there a 5 of them...were firing like an advertising sign...
I don't like to just throw parts at a problem, but, I might be reduced to doing this to achieve a fix...
Thanks again, I'll let you know what happens...

Tags
awning