Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2011, 05:45 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Well seems like alot of folks in the same boat, but I still haven't seen any replies on a better replacement? Are the plastic ones at $5 a pop really the only option?

Hoping there's something better out there...
This may or may not help but here is some information on the Southco C3 grabber latch. They come in three different springs ratings from 3 - 10 lbs. of force to release. It could be the lighter springs are not holding up well.
C3-303 3lbf
C3-305 5lbf
C3-310 10 lbf
I went with the 310 and have had no failures. On the drawer where DW keeps pots and pans I used 2.
I found them at amazon.com for $4.00 each.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2011, 05:58 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced all of the latches with magnetic latches purchased at HD. They have worked fine for me...so far!

In my opinion, over a period of time the plastic latches will become brittle due to age, extreme high temps (120+) and low temps (teens) and crack. The male part of the latch (the part that attaches to the drawer face) was breaking at the screws.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
FWIW, we have the same type latches throughout our rig. One, and only one, closet door latch kept sticking in the open position. Used shot of teflon spray lube and no problem since. Have VERY lightly lubed others also as a prev. maint. measure and have yet to have any problems. Coach is an 08 model and we are real full timers 24/7/365.

Steve & Lynette
Old 11-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #18
IC2

Dang - why o why do you folks go back to a dealer for wallet pillaging. Google search for door catches - here's one of 1,130,000 'hits': http://www.thehardwarehut.com/pdf-ca...es_latches.php

It's a .pdf so it will take a couple seconds to open. Then start at page 13 of that catalog. I need a half dozen or more for some cabinet doors and will probably order from there
Old 11-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #19

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Dang - why o why do you folks go back to a dealer for wallet pillaging. Google search for door catches - here's one of 1,130,000 'hits': http://www.thehardwarehut.com/pdf-ca...es_latches.php

It's a .pdf so it will take a couple seconds to open. Then start at page 13 of that catalog. I need a half dozen or more for some cabinet doors and will probably order from there
I've seen double roller cabinet catches such as the AME-BP34722G Amerock Double Roller Catch shown on page two of the above catalog used on drawers in Jayco RVs. Except for the rollers, the construction is all metal. I've seen latches like that on cabinets in S&Bs last for decades, including the plastic rollers.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I, too have suffered with this problem on a "new to me" ten yr. old coach. The striker (male part) breaks at the screw holes usually. I have found replacements that appear similair, but are heavier / thicker material and will fit in the same catch mechanism as original. A somewhat "beefier part", if you will. Don't have the part # or name in front of me at the moment, but have not had a failure with these parts, yet. They do seem to be fairly proud of them price wise, i.e. about $4.00 - 5.00 per latch or about same price for box of two strikers/box. Clarke
Old 11-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
RV Warehouse sells the strikers. The male part that breaks is replaced with a stronger type. It fits same place, takes a bit of time to get it aligned. So far have not had any of the new ones break.
Rebel
Old 11-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #22

Commercial Member

Monaco Owners Club
Hey all,
Another RV'er told me about these... he claims they really hold, won't break and do the job.... never thought about "Baby-Proof" products.... works on a magnetic system

KidCo Magnetic Locks, 4 pk (Model S3364), Locks & Latches - Baby proofing Products - Totsafe - IS YOUR HOME TOTSAFE?

Hope this helps?!?
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #23

I've had one failure in 6 years. If anyone knows a source where they can be ordered, please provide it. Thanks
Old 11-10-2011, 03:12 AM   #24

I know I'll will be shot for this, I see a pattern in the brand of unit that their installed in. I have had no breakage what so ever in the last 4 coach's.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:49 AM   #25

i had one break when i first bought the mh, and decided to use a finishing washer under the screws for the male latch piece. i did all the drawers and cabinets and haven't had a problem since.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavepaws View Post
I've had one failure in 6 years. If anyone knows a source where they can be ordered, please provide it. Thanks
Northwest RV Suppy Eugene, Oregon 97405 Latches listed under Cabinet Hardware.
They also have purchased Monaco parts as of Sept 1/2011
I ordered latches.
Hope this helps
Rebel
Old 11-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavepaws View Post
If you are refering to the Southco C3 there is a list of distributors at www.sourceesb.com/distributors/southco.asp
I purshased at Aero-Space southwest.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
OK...cheers everyone. Looks like I have a few options to try out. We've had 7 failures so far (in 2 years of fulltiming) so I'm hoping some of these other brands will hold up better.