Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #1

A/C and jacks help!

good morning all. As usual I find myself in a bit of a pickle. I'm hoping someone can help. I have two problems, one with the jacks and the other with the roof AC.

A/C:yesterday on our drive home my wife commented that the coach was very hot. So I turned on the genie which was fine and started up the AC as we usually would, rear roof unit first then the second unit(closest to the front). The unit closest to the front of the RV was working fine. But the larger unit towards the rear was not working. The green light was on showing that there was power, but my wife said that there was no air coming out. The generator seems to be working just fine, but my friend who also owns an outlaw, Not4Show said that it could be the generator is getting weaker. Any thoughts on this? What would the fix and $$$$ be?

Jacks:i've recently been having problems with the jacks. A few trips ago I could not get the jacks to go up. But we realized is that I was low on hydraulic fluid so after refilling the tank we were able to get the jacks up and back down without issue. however, there is stillan issue when raising the jacks back up in that it does a real jittery type of lowering the coach back down like it is sticking. Instead of lowering the coach back down and raising the Jack's back up smoothly, it is kind of like a bam bam bam stickyness until the wheels are firmly back on the ground and then the Jack's come back up smoothly. Any thoughts on what this could possibly be? My only thought is that there might be air in the line?

As always I very much appreciate your help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 11:44 PM   #2

Going to need a bunch more info to be of any real help.
Make , model and year of coach.
Leveling jack brand and system model if you know it.
Gen set , brand and size & hours.. A/C info as well.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapi View Post
it could be the generator is getting weaker. Any thoughts on this?
I don't think that's likely, unless the air conditioner works perfectly on shore power. It sounds more like you have an issue with air conditioner or the controls. Does plugging into shore power change the behavior?

Quote:
A few trips ago I could not get the jacks to go up. But we realized is that I was low on hydraulic fluid so after refilling the tank we were able to get the jacks up and back down without issue.
Your system may be different, but all of the ones I've seen will pump hydraulic fluid from the tank to the jack to raise the coach (jacks down.) Then, when lowering the coach (raising jacks) it simply opens a valve that lets the fluid run back into the tank. Therefore, it's entirely normal for the fluid level to be low when the jacks are extended. In fact, if you fill the tank with the jacks down, the fluid returning to the tank when you raise the jacks can quite possibly cause the tank to overflow.

Since jacks are not typically powered while going up, they rely on springs to pull the jack up. Your springs might be getting weak, or the shaft of the jack is getting dirty or corroded so that there is too much friction on the seals. Fully extending the jack, then cleaning and lubricating the shaft will often improve jack retraction.

Quote:
it does a real jittery type of lowering the coach back down like it is sticking. Instead of lowering the coach back down and raising the Jack's back up smoothly, it is kind of like a bam bam bam stickyness until the wheels are firmly back on the ground and then the Jack's come back up smoothly.
The jitteryness could be due to dirt/corrosion on the jack shaft.

You say it's smooth once the weight is fully on the wheels. At that point, does it really retract smoothly, or do you just not feel the jitteryness because there is no more weight on the jacks? I suspect the latter.

If it really does retract smoothly once there is no weight on the jacks, is it possible that you are on such a non-level site that there are side loads on the jack causing them to hang up?

Quote:
My only thought is that there might be air in the line?
Interesting theory. I would think air in the lines would make the system feel spongy as the air compresses. But I suppose it's theoretically possible that the fluid could be draining from the jack at a normal rate until an air bubble hits the valve, then the air (being much less viscous) would then go through the valve much faster.

The common way to purge air from the system is to fully extend and retract the jacks several times.

Note that all of this is very general high level talk about air conditioners, generators, and hydraulic jacks. Like Skip says, if we know the details about what specific systems you have, you will get better answers.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the most common complaints when running the A/C on Generator power is "Only one worked" There are two common causes of this depending on the power systems in your coach.

SOME: have a switch "Front/both/rear" that is used to select the A/C that operates when on 30 amps.. IF it's in the wrong position one of them will not work on Generator power.

The other and MOST common issue is the generator circuit breakers.. Most RV generators have TWO circuit breakers.. ONE of them feeds power to the Front A/C..the other to the Rear, if the rig is properly wired.

On a 30 amp rig the 20 amp breaker normally feeds the Rear AC and nothing else.. On a 50 each breacker also feeds "other stuff".
Old 06-09-2015, 09:00 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the jacks.... RTFM (im not kidding)

You need to lubricate the jacks.. Now,, if the jacks are POWER GEAR (I can not speak with authority on others) thy say to use silicone spray and extend,,, Then spray,, Then wipe.

On SOME Power Gear Jacks (my rear jacks) There is a ZERK.. Usually 1 shot of White Lithium grease (From a hand held grease gun) is all that's needed.. I'd go two shots the FIRST time.

But Lubrication,as per the manual..Should fix the jacks.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #6

Try to call hwh @ 1-800-321-3494 and they will help over the phone.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Josh (Shapi),

For our '07 Damon Outlaws...
AirCon - Carrier, (2 ea., shared/common ducts):
Leveling Jacks - LCI 4 point:
Generator - Onan QG5500:

Aircon:
Most any aircon issue will be inside the aircon itself. To eliminate any gennie issue - run one of the units, then switch to run just the other. Each aircon has a separate breaker on the panel under the wardrobe. Chances are the aircon needs service.

Jacks:
Our '07 has always had the described "pump" feel on retract. The pump does not just release the pressure, but actually removes the fluid in the jacks by a pumping action. If yours did not do this in the past, I can offer no explanation. Maybe there is air in the lines - remove by repeated cycling.

And FYI, It is a good idea to check and clean the shafts like mentioned above.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #8

Thanks all...I had most of those suggestions on my list of checks when I get home (parked the RV and headed on the road for work). Wa8YXM...the manual was the first thing we went to for both issues,well my wife did as I was driving. . They were useless. I'll report back once I get everything squared away!
Old 06-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The pump does not just release the pressure, but actually removes the fluid in the jacks by a pumping action. If yours did not do this in the past, I can offer no explanation. Maybe there is air in the lines - remove by repeated cycling.
I was curious about your comment and did some quick research. It looks like Lippert does make a bi-directional pump jack system, I've not seen this system before. I saw a troubleshooting tips document that says the low fluid level described in the OP can cause issues:

Quote:
Low pump pressure can be attributed to low fluid volume in the reservoir. If the volume of the hydraulic fluid is below the pickup tube in the reservoir, the system will intake air and there will be no fluid pressure, to retract or extend the jacks, depending on the operation to be performed.

Indications

Low fluid can be observed through the reservoir. If the fluid level in the reservoir is below 1/4 capacity, the pickup tube may not be able to intake fluid. The pump will sound as if it is free-wheeling, bearing no pressure and slides nor the jacks will not extend or retract, the fluid level is too low.

Resolutions

If jacks and/or slides are extended, add fluid to fill the reservoir to about 1/2 full. There will be air in the system so the retract process may be a bit static and uneven. When jacks/slides are completely retracted, top off the reservoir
to within 1/2" of the top. Completely extend all jacks and slides and then immediately retract completely. Check reservoir for foam. Allow 15-20 minutes for foam to dissipate and cycle repeatedly until no foam remains, usually 3-4 cycles.
Note the comment about "the retract process many be a bit static and uneven." That could be one way to describe what is being felt? It looks like the solution is to extend/retract everything a few times, but it looks like there is a key step of waiting for foam to subside between attempts.

I've not used a bi-directional system. Does it help speed up retracting the jacks, especially in cold weather? (When near freezing temps it can take a while for my spring-retracted jacks to come up because the fluid gets thick.)
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
I was curious about your comment and did some quick research. ...I've not used a bi-directional system. Does it help speed up retracting the jacks, especially in cold weather? (When near freezing temps it can take a while for my spring-retracted jacks to come up because the fluid gets thick.)
The bi-directional system removes the need for springs. There are 2 lines running to each jack...1 to pump it up and 1 to pump it down.

We have noticed no difference in operation based on temp.
Don't know any more details, but it works.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #11

Thanks all...so couldn't find anything wrong with the A/C except the vent closest to the rear unit had almost no flow. All the others seemed ok. As for the jacks sprayed down with silicone spray. Did a few ups and downs but still acting weird and not smooth. Gotta race this weekend then no travel plans for a while so we will fix after.