Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Evergreen State
Posts: 405
A/C Compressor not kicking in

96 Chevy Bounder: NewColeman Rear 11K BTU A/C unit just blows air and the Compressor is not kicking in after several minutes of operation, measured by amps. I check the wiring hook-up several times. Could it be the ECC stat on the wall or the ECC Energy Management Unit Master Controller? Any Troubleshooting ideas?

And how do you operate the heat strip via ECC on the wall?

48207-C966 A/C
9430-4552 Inside Plenum
9233A4551 Heat Strip
9330C755 Control Package

Thanks
__________________

__________________
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2015, 06:20 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 248
One of the first things that could be evaluated is the amount of refrigerant in the system. There is a high / low pressure sensor that will prevent the compressor from turning on if the pressure is too high or low.
There is a low pressure side fitting where you can check this pressure. Any AC shop will have this gauge or you can buy a recharge kit w/ gauge at any auto parts store for cheap and check it yourself. (IF this unit is self-serviceable)

OR you may have a leak in your system which could be evaluated by an AC shop.

If I read your Post correctly, you have a "new" Coleman unit......possibly have the installer check it out at at least make a phone call.......?

.....Just one of the easiest and quickest things to check. I like to look at the simple things first.

Please let us know how you make out.
Thanks.
__________________

__________________
2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32V, Ford F-53, V-10
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7L V-8 QTII
U. S. Army Vet, In God We Trust
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: st.charles mo.
Posts: 1,194
There is also a relay that can fail.
__________________
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:21 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 248
Yes, and just because something is "New" today doesn't mean it will work.......!!!!!!
Many professional installers are their own worst enemy.
(We could start a thread on this but better not...!!!)

Did the unit work at first????? and for how long????
__________________
2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32V, Ford F-53, V-10
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7L V-8 QTII
U. S. Army Vet, In God We Trust
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Triker56's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,946
Ducted or unducted?
A new Coleman usually has a 8000 series number not what you posted.
With a EMS on a Fleetwood. It will not even let the fan run when cutting the power.
__________________
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Evergreen State
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie32v View Post
Yes, and just because something is "New" today doesn't mean it will work.......!!!!!!
Many professional installers are their own worst enemy.
(We could start a thread on this but better not...!!!)

Did the unit work at first????? and for how long????
Yeah the unit is new and I am the installer and was very careful, trying to save some bucks. The unit never worked as for blowing cold air. I will make the call to Coleman or is it Airxcel now on Monday.
__________________
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Evergreen State
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Ducted or unducted?
A new Coleman usually has a 8000 series number not what you posted.
With a EMS on a Fleetwood. It will not even let the fan run when cutting the power.
It's a duct A/C unit. So I guess my ECC/EMS is working correctly if everything is operating correctly EXCEPT not the A/C compressor. BTW~ I listed part numbers.
__________________
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Evergreen State
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie32v View Post
One of the first things that could be evaluated is the amount of refrigerant in the system. There is a high / low pressure sensor that will prevent the compressor from turning on if the pressure is too high or low.
There is a low pressure side fitting where you can check this pressure. Any AC shop will have this gauge or you can buy a recharge kit w/ gauge at any auto parts store for cheap and check it yourself. (IF this unit is self-serviceable)

OR you may have a leak in your system which could be evaluated by an AC shop.

If I read your Post correctly, you have a "new" Coleman unit......possibly have the installer check it out at at least make a phone call.......?

.....Just one of the easiest and quickest things to check. I like to look at the simple things first.

Please let us know how you make out.
Thanks.
I thought Roof A/C's aren't fitted with the connections necessary for refilling their refrigerant levels.
__________________
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
asuperheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 171
You said according to the amps. Do you have a amp probe? If so does the compressor try to start? If it will try and start by pulling high amps then dropping out that will help determine a control issue from a starting issue like a bad relay or run capacitor. Also is the compressor hot to the touch?
__________________
2014 Excursion 35B
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
CJ7365's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesdx1 View Post
I thought Roof A/C's aren't fitted with the connections necessary for refilling their refrigerant levels.
you are right, I think Winnie was thinking it was the A/C on the coach
__________________
2005 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB
W22 Workhorse Chassis 8.1 Flat Towing a 82 Jeep CJ7
CJ7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:40 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mcdonough, Ga.
Posts: 4,383
Do you have the shed system by intellitec? Does the red light keep blinking that shows your load is shedding? If you have the shed system, go to the control box and switch the sliding ac control switch to rear ac and see if the ac comes on.
__________________
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
32 years mechanic at Delta Air Lines 15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Evergreen State
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by asuperheat View Post
You said according to the amps. Do you have a amp probe? If so does the compressor try to start? If it will try and start by pulling high amps then dropping out that will help determine a control issue from a starting issue like a bad relay or run capacitor. Also is the compressor hot to the touch?
I have one of those TM-2025-RV Monitor. The new A/C's compressor does not even try to start and not hot to touch. My old Coleman had the same issue, but since the beast is a 96 i thought it had a leak. The 2 years I had her it never worked, (the compressor does not kick in). So with the same problem with the new unit its doubtful its the A/C unit.

Triker56...Post #5, When you say EMS are you referring to the ECC or ECC Control Module? I think either one can be defect and still run the fan.

Anyway, I did some trouble shooting today and I'm pointing the problem to the ECC Control Module. Yikes 170 bucks
__________________
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:15 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Evergreen State
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Do you have the shed system by intellitec? Does the red light keep blinking that shows your load is shedding? If you have the shed system, go to the control box and switch the sliding ac control switch to rear ac and see if the ac comes on.
I do have the shed system. The light blink for 1 or 2 mins then turns green but no compressor, just fan air blowing.
__________________
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mcdonough, Ga.
Posts: 4,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesdx1 View Post
I do have the shed system. The light blink for 1 or 2 mins then turns green but no compressor, just fan air blowing.
On the intellitec board there is a switch that says AC test. Have you gone to the board and set the switch on rear AC test?
__________________

__________________
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
32 years mechanic at Delta Air Lines 15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
compressor



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Can Hear You Now - A/C Mufflers Dr4Film Monaco Owner's Forum 44 08-18-2015 09:32 AM
Do you stay cool with only 1 A/C unit? RUReady2Go 5th Wheel Discussion 42 07-16-2015 09:20 PM
A/C breakdown again doublechevy Monaco Owner's Forum 25 06-28-2015 08:55 AM
A tale of my A/C replacement K-Star RV Systems & Appliances 3 08-16-2014 08:17 AM
Intellitec remote start of generator, front A/C & rear A/C not working in bedroom rlmorrison Gulf Stream Owner's Forum 1 08-14-2014 05:04 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.