Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #1

A/C Fan Capacitor (which one?)

Hey All,

One of my AC units needs a new fan capacitor. It makes a humming noise, but the fan will start if given a little spin.

Unfortunately, the diagram, which was made of paper, has lost almost all of its ink. Can anyone tell me which of the two capacitators is for the fan (the bigger one on the left, or the smaller one on the right)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capacitors.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	222905   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Unit.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	222906  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #2

How do you know it's the capacitor if you don't even know which one goes to the fan? A bad fan motor bearing will cause the exact symptom you describe. Grab the fan motor shaft and see how much up and down slop there is. Shouldn't be much if any.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water D View Post
How do you know it's the capacitor if you don't even know which one goes to the fan? A bad fan motor bearing will cause the exact symptom you describe. Grab the fan motor shaft and see how much up and down slop there is. Shouldn't be much if any.
There is no play in the shaft. The fan capacitor is my best guess at this point. I just don't know which one is for the fan vs. compressor.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecdatlanta View Post
There is no play in the shaft. The fan capacitor is my best guess at this point. I just don't know which one is for the fan vs. compressor.
Look for the uF (microfarad) numbers on the capacitors. The one with the smallest number will be for the fan due to the lower amperage draw. It will probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of 7.5uF.

Here's a good video on how to test capacitors to see if they are good. This is done on a double capacitor, but the principle is the same.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Look for the uF (microfarad) numbers on the capacitors. The one with the smallest number will be for the fan due to the lower amperage draw. It will probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of 7.5uF.

Here's a good video on how to test capacitors to see if they are good. This is done on a double capacitor, but the principle is the same.
Thanks Lt Dan. I tested the two capacitors and this one was not accepting a charge. The problem is, I can't find a replacement. I tried typing in all of the codes I could find on the unit (Googling and looking on Amazon). Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181017_202056.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	222936   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181017_202248.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	222937  

Old 10-17-2018, 06:50 PM   #6

https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Dual-Ca.../dp/B00C0YSSZS

No picture, though.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:57 PM   #7

OP, just changed mine. May depend on your AC model/brand. On my Dometic Penguin 15K, the larger is the run cap (50/15 uf) and the smaller black one is the start cap (47-56 uf). You could just replace the run cap that starts the fan too. But I would replace both. Got them from GetRVParts.com. But you can get elsewhere too including Amazon.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:07 PM   #8

One more thing, you may want to Google the model of your AC for a parts list to verify the Cap sizing. Mine were the wrong uf from a previous repair. If you have a second or third AC, check to see what they have for sizing.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron930cab View Post
OP, just changed mine. May depend on your AC model/brand. On my Dometic Penguin 15K, the larger is the run cap (50/15 uf) and the smaller black one is the start cap (47-56 uf). You could just replace the run cap that starts the fan too. But I would replace both. Got them from GetRVParts.com. But you can get elsewhere too including Amazon.
Thanks Ron930cab. But when I google "run cap (50/15 uf)", I see images of capacitors that have only two connectors. Mine has three (as seen in the pic). Am I missing something?
Old 10-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Does it have 3 terminals? I seem to only come up with capacitors that have 2 terminals every time I google for it.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #11

mecdatlanta, it has three sets of terminals (each with multiple terms) like the one you show in the pic. But your size may be different. I just googled run cap 50/15 and got a Dyers RV with a picture a second ago. For my coach the middle air had never been serviced, so those caps were OEM. I used those sizes and then googled until I got the same info from another source (like Dometic Heat Pump 15K...).
Old 10-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #12

It's a 10 + 20 µF dual-value capacitor. Has three terminals: "F" for fan, "H" for the compressor (hermetic), and a common.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The larger cap with a metal body is a duel capacitor. It has 1 common terminal and one for the compressor, the third terminal is for the fan. Start capacitors are made of Bakelite (type of plastic).
Ron930 had it correct and the microfarads (Uf) is printed on all capacitors of that size. Any air conditioning supply, or appliance store can match one up for you.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
The larger cap with a metal body is a duel capacitor. It has 1 common terminal and one for the compressor, the third terminal is for the fan. Start capacitors are made of Bakelite (type of plastic).
Ron930 had it correct and the microfarads (Uf) is printed on all capacitors of that size. Any air conditioning supply, or appliance store can match one up for you.
That might be the easiest thing to do. I;m amazed at how ambiguous this whole process is. Amazon definitely doesn't have this down. Not sure that any online sites does.

Tags
fan