Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #1

A/C on road problem

I have a 2003 Fleetwood Providence with an A/C problem I donít understand. We went on a trip and the temperature outside was 94 degrees with full sun. The dash A/C was inadequate for me and the 4 others as expected at those temperatures. I cranked up the generator and the 2 roof top units. By the time we arrived at our destination 160 miles later it was 94 degrees in the coach. We parked and went to eat that evening and when we got back it had begun cooling. The thermostat was set on 65 degrees because my wife likes it cold at night. We thought we could tolerate it as long as the temp. kept going down. The next morning it was 65 degrees. We went back on the road the next day and the as we drove the A/C temperature was a repeat of the day before. Why will it work parked but fails on the road, has anyone else had this experience? Thanks for any replies.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would suggest you test the temp. of the air coming out the vents. If it is 20-25 degrees cooler than the temp throughout the coach, then the units are doing their job, and it may be the sun radiating through. Since you said it cooled off at night I would suggest this is more likely. You might need to consider going to higher output roof units. There was a lengthy discussion elsewhere in this forum recently, wherein the owner was having a similar problem and there was quite a bit of feed back. I've been looking but I cannot find it to post a link.
Bob

Old 09-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #3

Be sure that your roof AC is not freezing up. I have had a problem setting the thermostate to low, the coils freeze up and it will not cool. If this happens run the ac fan only for a while then set the temp at above 70. Hope this is your problem.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My guestion is you Genny putting out enough power to run both AC's. Low voltage can make a AC do funny things. Try to just run the front one and see if it cools good. Could be a low power issue. Jim
Old 09-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You could try just running one AC Unit.

Sometimes under the right conditions you can freeze up the coil. Usually the airflow is reduced quite a bit when that happens.

As mentioned put the unit in the fan only mode and the ice will thaw.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #6

Hi George

As other have said you have a freezing problem on your coils. Running the fans with the temp set high will thaw them out, and you will get air flow over the coils. If your units are bringing the coach temp down at night, your genset output is most likely okay. This is a common problem.

Good luck and Happy Trails!!!
Old 09-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #7

Could it be my Freon in low?
Old 09-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Make sure your dash A/C is on MAX or Recirculate so you're not introducing outside air into the RV. I'd also suggest turning off the back A/C and closing the bedroom door until after the sun sets. No need to try and cool everything while moving down the road. Perhaps you iced up the A/C unit, as others have said, 30 minutes of fan only should melt the ice and restore proper cooling. A lot of the issue is caused by the moving RV. Cool air is getting lost through window seals, stove vent, etc. In addition, the sun is causing radiating heat, close some window blinds if you can, especially on the sunny side.

A good A/C unit only cools about 20ļ cooler than outside air. Doesn't sound like your A/C is low on coolant, it's working as hard as it can.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might just have too much air intrusion from the outside. Make sure all roof vents are closed and as previously stated, that the dash air is set to max air or recirculate other wise you are cooling warm air from the outside as opposed to air that has already been cooled. I have found that opening a front window just a little for a short time can deplete the cool air inside in just a few moments. Hence a bad door seal or some air leaking in from other sources while traveling could be the culprit.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #10

Our DP runs much warmer at highway speeds vs. parked. A lot of heat is added to the rear of the coach from the engine, especially when towing. I also believe the dash air becomes warmer from radiant heat gain in the refrigerant lines running the length of the coach........... JB
Old 09-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
It is likely the AC cannot keep up with the increase in outside air temp from 65 degrees to 94 degrees and the intensity of the heat through the front windshield and the engine heat.

Reduce the cooling area, dash air on recycle, close all windows and vents.

The fact that your experience is inside temps equal outdoor ambient temps would indicate that the roof air is not working.

Measure the temp inside the outflow vent and intake vent. They should be about 20 degrees different at max efficiency.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too suspect the fresh air intake.. Normal Dash A/C mixes fresh air with recirculated air. The ratio varies with maker but at least 20% fresh.

MAX air, is 100% recirculated, that is the difference.

Plus most motor homes are long, long way from air tight and most are house over engine" so you get engine heat rising into the living quarters.. As does the generator heat.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Lots of ideas but the first reply is where you need to start, is the output of the A/C 20+ degrees cooler than the intake ? (inside the MH not outside). If it's not then you need to check out the A/C units for freezing or other malfunctions (low Freon, damaged coils, etc). If they are working correctly then all the ideas about reducing the heat load apply.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pivotdoc View Post
Our DP runs much warmer at highway speeds vs. parked. A lot of heat is added to the rear of the coach from the engine, especially when towing. I also believe the dash air becomes warmer from radiant heat gain in the refrigerant lines running the length of the coach........... JB
All the cool is created by the expansion valve which is up front length of run has no issue, low on freon might. Try cleaning the rooftop condensers they may be pluged and can't get enough air circulation. Jim