Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2018, 09:59 PM   #1

A/C Quit

Need help from the pros. As we were readying for bed the a/c in bedroom came as desired, but immediately went off as if a breaker had tripped. DW had just finished drying some clothes, but dryer was not running. Checked breakers, but all seemed okay. Went through them anyway, but all is well. During that exercise, noticed front a/c not working. At the moment only the middle a/c is working. I also checked inverter,but green light there. Any thoughts, advice, help?
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2018, 10:17 PM   #2

Your account units don't go thru the inverter.
My guess is maybe you momentarily overloaded one side of your electric circuit and cut off the AC units. And it takes 5-10 minutes to reset the ac compressors to protect them.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:15 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm with awol50 in that maybe you overloaded half of the breaker panel but for some reason the main breaker (the one with the bar connecting the two breakers together) didn't fully trip and drop power to the other half of the panel. Had it happen in my coach. One side of the breaker tripped but didn't pull both sides off. Cycle the main breaker off/on and see what happens.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:13 AM   #4

I'm not a pro but, experience has taught me it may be because of low voltage at the pedestal, that's why the middle A/C is still running but not enough power to run all three. Not sure where you're parked, but as temps rise and more people use their A/C. This can happen often in some parks that are crowded. This pedestal current can fluctuate up and down during the day or night.

We keep a Kill-A-Watt plugged into one of our outlets all the time so at a glance we can always see what current we have coming into the coach.

https://www.amazon.com/P3-Internatio...70_&dpSrc=srch

BTW...do yourself and us a favor by putting your MH and Toad information into your signature
This will really help in all your future posts, so you won't have to type it in each time.
You do this by:
1) Going to the top of this page and click the top left tab named “User CP”
2) Look at the menu on the left and scroll down to “Settings & Options” and click “Edit Signature”
3) In that text box type all the information about your MH, Year, model, length, mileage, any aftermarket extras installed, your toad and so on. You’ll be limited to 3 lines unless you become a IRV2 supporter
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think I remember that there is a fuse on the control board inside the A/C unit on top!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #6

Three 110 volt AC units, only two will be on the same buss and the third on the other buss. If a breaker tripped that might explain that. If one of the main bkrs tripped, as suggested, it might explain that. If low power overheated the compressors then the ones that were running would be affected. Low power to a compressor will switch it off at the internal overload device and could permanently damage the compressor.

You have not indicated weather the units were able to restart or not.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #7

We had that a/c replaced in October of 2017, so thinking it may be related to that. Hopefully, as there is warranty available.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby49 View Post
We had that a/c replaced in October of 2017, so thinking it may be related to that. Hopefully, as there is warranty available.
Compressor warrantys are 5 years or lately some are 10 years. Dont know for sure.

What about the AC units, did they both come back on?
Old 04-02-2018, 12:42 PM   #9

Quote:

I'm a little confused .... I assume at 45 ft. you have 3 A/C units. How many are running OK? Does everything else work (microwave, all wall outlets, Tvs, etc.)? Are you plugged into 50 amp shore power?
Old 04-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #10

Yes, 2 are working. Everything else is working as well. Not sure what is going on.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:36 PM   #11

I am plugged in to 50 amps.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Yes, 2 are working. Everything else is working as well. Not sure what is going on.
So you lost two AC units and only one did not restart? If that is the case and the CB's have been reset then look closer to the problem, ie the AC unit itself. What you described as the possible cause could have caused a compressor wire to burn through which can be repaired if the compressor is not damaged.

It is a pretty good assumption that the two units that went out were on the same leg. That being the case then because one was able to restart we can assume, at least for now, that the electrical circuit that fed those two units is OK which is why I suggest looking closer to the problem for the solution.

Keep us in the loop please
Old 04-03-2018, 07:16 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
You have a 2008 Monaco Dynasty? Your multiplex electrical is completely different than every other manufacturer.

I don't know the 2008 electrical but the 2007 Dynasty has a Intellitec Automatic Energy Select Switch which controls the aft A/C unit. The washing machine (Washer/Dryer with a Combo Unit) has priority over the aft A/C and the A.E switch commonly goes bad. The washer will work but the A/C will not.

https://www.intellitec.com/assets/pd...-00714-000.pdf

Mine is in the rear closet under the floor panel. The 2007 wiring diagram page "Schematic, Power Management, A.E" says it may be "next to the washer/dryer recept, next to main breaker box, behind TV or under bedroom wardrobe"

If you have an electric stove you probably have two A.E. units.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:23 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
You need to put your year, make and model in your signature or you will go on a lot of wild goose chases.

Only the Monaco guys will be of any help with a lot of your problems, everyone else will try to help but they just won't have the information you need.