Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #1

A/C "shed"

This question has more than likely been asked and answered a zillion times but I have not found either the question or the answer.

I have a Fleetwood Class A motor home with what I think is an ever-cool a/c system. I have two a/c units on the roof. Now here is the burning, pun intended.

One of the units comes on with a green light in the "shed" and a green light in "on" light. Well let's put it this way it did when I looked a minute ago now I have a red light on the "shed" and a green light on the "on". This is for A/C 1. This unit is for the front of the coach.

The A/C 2 unit has a red light on the "shed" and a green light on the "on". Again, lets put it this way it did when I turned the a/c on.

Now that I have upped the temp to 80 degrees the A/C2 unit the rear coach unit has neither a green light on the "on" or a light, either green or red, on the "shed".

I had the units inspected about a week ago and got a clean bill of health.

What is happening? Should I be concerned (now that was a dumb question).

I am currently hooked to 30 amps with my volt meter reading 119 with the a/c on.

HELP!

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
iquilt888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #2

I don't think 30 amps is going to run both units at once. Your EMS is load shedding one to keep you under the 30 amp limit, I believe.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 06-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like Duoglide1 stated 30 amps is good for 1 a/c at a time. if you turn just 1 on, it shouldn't fault.
See if this is your problem.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:29 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Normally the controller will not run 'em both on 30 amps.. IF you have JUST finished a full cleaning and the batteries are full, the fridge and water heater off.. Perhaps.. but I'd not bet on it.
It should cycle back and forth as needed.

Now, having both red and green lights.. I do not know what that means but if you feel that is not normal..IT IS NOT THE AIR CONDITIONERS

it is the load shedding Energy Management Controller. And I do not have one... I suggest checking the owner's manual for the EMS.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have an EMS system and if I am hooked to 30 amp it will not run both AC units.

My amp draw without any load on is usually 1-3 amps. It will fluctuate as the batteries are taking charge. If I have the frig on electric this will go up to 4-5. Add minor electrical, TV, lights at night and it goes higher.

Each AC unit will pull ~15 amps (higher at start up), so I'm usually running ~20 amps with 1 AC running. The EMS recognizes this and will not let the 2nd AC run.

If I run the microwave it takes priority and the AC will drop out.

Your best bet is to run 1 AC on constant high fan and let it force cold air throughout the coach
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #6

My Bounder was a 30AMP and came with a EMS. Were you running anything else, like the electric side of the water heater, microwave, or other high amp electric device? On my Bounder, it ran both A/Cs and shed #2 if anything other than those two things were running.
LPD218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:20 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 30amp system runs just fine with the front AC on low and the rear fan on low. Initially the shed light comes on the front AC but I raise the temp until it quits and then lower the temperature between 70-75 degrees as the coach cools down. We run the microwave and flat screen no problem. As long as I have a full propane tank I run the Norcold on LPG.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:21 AM   #8

We have a Fleetwood Expedition with 30A service and have no problem running both ACs while watching TV etc. Our coach has a set of switches near the sink that allow you to toggle between microwave, water heater, and Washer/Dryer. We keep them set to Microwave, and we keep the Water Heater on propane and the Fridge on electric (auto).

Check to see the setting of your water heater. If it is on electric, you may not have enough capacity for both ACs.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:28 AM   #9

a/c shed

I truly want to thank each and everyone of you for responding. I feel much better now knowing that I more than likely will not have to replace the a/c units.

My climate control does not allow me to choose which a/c unit to run so I'm thinking that may be the best bet, see about replacing if possible, the control unit. Something that would allow me to switch between units.

My water heater runs strictly on gas. Will, however, when I turn on the a/c later this morning switch the fridg to gas.

As I said before thanks so much.
iquilt888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:23 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My climate control does not allow me to choose which a/c unit to run so I'm thinking that may be the best bet, see about replacing if possible, the control unit.
That's almost inconceivable in any RV, especially a 30A model. What year/make/model of Fleetwood are we talking about? Every one I've ever encountered, regardless of brand, had either two thermostats or a "zone" selector switch with one thermostat.

And there is always the circuit breaker on the load center - just turn the breaker for one of the roof a/c units off. Voila!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some of you are confusing what is happening with the EMS. Yes it is true that 30 amps will not run 2 AC's at a time, but with the EMS you can run 2 AC's at a time, sort of. What the EMS does is it will not let you exceed your 30 amp input. It will "Shed" one AC by not operating the compressor on but leaving the fan on. It has 2 temperature sensors, one toward the front of the coach and one toward the rear. It decides which one to "Shed".

Turn them both on high and set at 60 degrees and forget about them until it cools your unit until your comfortable, then slide the temperature settings until each just shuts one shuts off. Now your good to go, leave the temperature setting there. It is best to set them at the highest heat of the day in the afternoon.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #12

The above post is not true in the case of our coach. It runs both ACs, and I verified it last week while plugged into 30a power. When something else comes on that exceeds capacity, it will drop the rear AC compressor and run the fan only.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote