Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #1

A/C sometimes kills generator on startup

Have front and rear Duo-therm 630035-321 a/c's with heat pumps. Sometimes front a/c starts right away, with no delay which it should have, and kills the gen set. This is in an 05 Diplomat, owned since new. A/C's normally have about 2 minute delay before starting. The front a/c starting right away is has just started happening but it doesn’t do it every time. When it does it kill 8000 watt gen set! Can starting capacitor malfunction occasionally or is the problem in a relay somewhere? If so' where is it located? Thanks in advance.
Mistaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #2

Does it kill the generator just after the generator is started or after the generator has been running for some time. Do you have a gas or diesel generator ?
Old 01-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #3

Diesel and it was running and up to operating temp..
Old 01-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistaya View Post
Can starting capacitor malfunction occasionally......
Not 100% sure a bad or weak capacitor would cause this malfunction, but I believe that's where I'd start for sure. You should have 3 capacitors, and they should be up top, under the AC plastic shroud, mounted behind a metal panel on the side of the AC unit.

Fan Capacitor
Start Capacitor
Run Capacitor

Assuming your capacitors are OEM, they're 13yrs. old and pretty cheap to replace. I would just replace all 3. You could do all 3 yourself for about $50. I carry new spares.

If you go up on the roof to check, remove the shroud and have someone start the AC while you're standing right there. Some further evidence may reveal itself.

One other thought...are you sure both breakers are ON and OK next to your generator start switch? In other words are you sure your genny is producing 50amps and not 30amps? Maybe flip both breakers OFF and then back ON to be sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coil-1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	231346   Click image for larger version

Name:	coil-2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	231347  

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you do decide to replace capacitors, read up on discharging them before you attempt to remove the existing ones !!
Old 01-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Sounds like a time-delayed transfer switch issue. ACs and general electrical loads should normally not be supplied for a a minute after the generator starts. Since you (if I'm reading this right) historically had to wait for the ACs to switch on, but now `sometimes` the front kicks in immediately, I'd recon that one leg of your transfer switch may be fused or the switch is otherwise faulty. You may have bigger issues than just starter caps.
Mike Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:24 PM   #7

Thanks for the great info. An traveling for the next week. Will pursue when parked at site. There was always a delay of about 2 minutes before it would start after setting, it tries right away now but only sometimes. That makes it weirder. Rear air still has delay and starts fine. ???
Old 01-08-2019, 03:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the great info. An traveling for the next week. Will pursue when parked at site. There was always a delay of about 2 minutes before it would start after setting, it tries right away now but only sometimes. That makes it weirder. Rear air still has delay and starts fine. ???
Does this happen when the A/C has already been running and you're changing over to gen power? If so, it's possible the compressed refrigerant has had the time to bleed down, which will lock up the compressor. Start current will be 4-8 times full load running current, which is fine for a quick blip, but not fine if sustained. The delay may be built into the roof A/C to ensure it's not short-cycled, locking up the compressor until it bleeds down. Your S&B systems will lock up, too, and trip out on their own internal protection (automatically resetting), but the utility generators aren't about to stall so no biggie.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
One of mine on a 5th wheel a few years did the same and it turned out to be a control board on the AC unit
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:11 PM   #10

To much current will trip a breaker, not enough power will stall out an engine.

Change the fuel filter on the generator before you start messing with the electrical system.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #11

You may be able to help some by turning the fans to "on" so that the fans start before the compressor tries to start. That reduces the starting load a little.

Further diagnosis is needed for a long term fix, but this may help a little.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have this same problem on a houseboat w/10 kw generator. It only acts up in cold weather. My HVAC guy tells me it’s a slide valve sticking that locks up the compressor because refrigerant can’t flow. Can’t be 100% sure because we haven’t made repairs yet.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
I have this same problem on a houseboat w/10 kw generator. It only acts up in cold weather. My HVAC guy tells me it’s a slide valve sticking that locks up the compressor because refrigerant can’t flow. Can’t be 100% sure because we haven’t made repairs yet.
A 10,000 watt generator is capable of over 80 amps. A locked compressor won't stall it before a breaker trips. If its gas and does it when cold, check the choke, if its warmed up, change the gas filter. If that don't work, clean the carb.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
A 10,000 watt generator is capable of over 80 amps. A locked compressor won't stall it before a breaker trips.
Good point, the generator breaker should trip before the engine gets drug down and stalls.

Thanks.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator