Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
The old rule of thumb used to be: Under thirty feet one AC. Over thirty feet two AC's. Like most others, I'd rather have two.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We purchased ours with one AC and it did well in a 32 footer. But there were days that it could not keep up real well. Ours was worded for 2 so last year I added a second and set it up on a separate 20 amp connection. We can run it on the gen or plug it into the 20/15 amp on the campground post. Well worth the investment.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Both of my A/C units dump into a common Ceiling Duct System. If it is not too hot, we run the bedroom unit in the day for less noise in the front and the living area unit at night if the heat of the night will not allow us to use the fans and windows. We like it cool for sleeping and both of our A/C units are noisy. My back unit is acting up and if I have to replace it the noise factor will be a priority in the selection process.

The way to solve the wife's driving problem is to do what we did when we picked ours out. Let her drive it at the dealership or owners place of sale. If she is happy THEN you proceed with all of the other details. Good luck on your choices. Ed
Old 12-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #18

On the other hand, because I like to tinker, and experiment, I have removed my rooftop air con, and used that area for solar panels.

I did this because I have found that I can cool my 35 foot RV with a 9000 BTU window unit and the judicious use of small, but high volume, DC fans.

I love it when a plan comes together!

Ed
USN Ret.
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
we purchased a itasca 30t in may and it only has one ac unit. it could not get the temperature below 88 degrees on a hundred degree day. we are now getting a allegro 32ca with two ac units. lost a lot of money by trading it in in only 6 months but were very unhappy with the itasca and their customer service. in short don't buy any class a with one ac unit you will be very unhappy
alv3769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alv3769 View Post
we purchased a itasca 30t in may and it only has one ac unit. it could not get the temperature below 88 degrees on a hundred degree day. we are now getting a allegro 32ca with two ac units. lost a lot of money by trading it in in only 6 months but were very unhappy with the itasca and their customer service. in short don't buy any class a with one ac unit you will be very unhappy
Hello from northern New Jersey. Very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with Itasca's customer service. What other issues were there? Was the motorhome purchased new?
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #21

a/cs

two is the only way to go, and 50 amp service if possible so both can run if needed in the hot summer months. They can only cool so much and in summer they run a lot to try and keep up.
LJ2654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
yes we purchased new from colonial in lakewood. dealer was good itasca customer service gave us the brush off three times.
alv3769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ2654 View Post
two is the only way to go, and 50 amp service if possible so both can run if needed in the hot summer months. They can only cool so much and in summer they run a lot to try and keep up.
You can buy a Fleetwood product with 30 amp service and it will run both airs if it has the Ems system. I did not like paying extra for 50 amp service and I did not like fighting the 50 amp cord in the wintertime. We bought a 1998 Pace Arrow because it had this system.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #24

Thanks to all, this info is going to be very helpful. Someone mentioned chassis in their reply, I see there are the workhorse with two different transmissions and the ford with the 4 or 5 speed. Should there be any preference? I've always been a ford man and would probably lean in that direction but I'd not like to pass up a good buy because it has the workhorse chassis. I'm now looking at earlier years ( pre 2006 ) to see if I can find one with better features, it seems like the majority have the workhorse.
Smsudad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #25

Sorry. I meant to add. Should I even consider a diesel engine? I know absolutely nothing about them and wouldn't know if I had a good one or not.
Smsudad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #26

I have a 33. 2 a/c. Drives better than my previous shorter rigs. Is ducted air. 1 does well up to about 85F.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
We have two air conditioners and two toilets. Life is good.
X2
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #28

yes you should consider diesel...i went with the older unit so i could get diesel and they have much nicer ride and i think handle better than gassers..you dont have kow anything about them really just do the required maintenence like gas and you are good to go..plus better milage but does cost a little more to change oil..jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smsudad View Post
Sorry. I meant to add. Should I even consider a diesel engine? I know absolutely nothing about them and wouldn't know if I had a good one or not.