Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #1

A/c units

I'm in the market for a used RV 2006 to 2010. I will keep it under 32 feet. I noticed that different models have 2 a/c's and some just one? Is there an advantage to getting two, more problems or expenses, Thanks for your help. Doug
Smsudad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you live in the south or spend. I would not even look at a 30 ' or larger unit unless it has 2 A/C units. You can always just run one.

Glad to have you here on iRV2.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 40' MH with 2 units and when I am in TX or SoCal I keep the front unit set at 58 and the rear unit at 66 and they barely keep up.

A single unit in something in the 30' range or better would freeze you out of on room while leaving you sweating in the other.

I would think the single unit would work way too hard trying to accomplish the work of 2 units cooling the same size MH. This could possibly increase the cost of maintenance on a single unit.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two allows for front and rear zones and provides for more cooling capacity (especially useful in southern very hot areas of the country).
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Also important is that if one stops working you have a second to fall back on. I would not even consider having just one. A 5th wheel we had only had one. We baked when it was really hot outside.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #6

Personally I would look at a motorhome with two AC units (or basement Air) along with 50 Amp service so both units can me used at the same time.

Is there any particular reason you want to stay under 32 feet in length?
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #7

Thanks for all the info... There are just two of us and Everything I read says they are easier to handle and drive if the wife needs to. The cost is also a factor, I'll look for units with two a/c's. We have decided that a separate bath works best for us. We like the Winnebago 29r and the 30 foot models but both have only one a/c. Any suggestions for another coach would be helpful. Thanks for the input, the more we can learn before buying the better.. Doug
Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have two air conditioners and two toilets. Life is good.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #9

Doug,

As far as driving: We have a 33 foot Winnebago Adventurer. Personally I do not think if it were 29 feet or 35 feet long it would matter as far as driving goes. The width and height are the same so if the motorhome is five feet longer or shorter it should make do difference.

Glad to see that you are looking at the floor plan. Liking the bathroom layout is a great place to start. Another might be, how easy is it to move around inside the motorhome when the slides are in? Are there enough windows in the bedroom area? Are the driver and passenger seats comfortable for driving? Is the kitchen layout efficient?

Like I have said in previous posts, I think you are better off purchasing a motorhome with a higher trim level and have it be slightly older to match your budget.

Again, if purchasing a motorhome with two AC units make sure it has 50 Amp service so both can me used simultaneously.

What models are you currently looking at?
Old 12-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #10

We are just Internet shopping right now. Plan on buying after the first of the year. We both like the Winnebago sightseer in 29 to 31. Since we are new I have no idea what units would be of higher quality or better equipped. A lot of that is the reason I'm here looking, reading, and asking. Are there models I should look at? We do go and physically look at the coaches when we find something of interest. Thanks. Doug
Old 12-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #11

Only one A/C was a deal breaker for us, we live in the Southwest. Two A/C , two furnaces, and at least two fantastic fans were our minimum.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smsudad View Post
Thanks for all the info... There are just two of us and Everything I read says they are easier to handle and drive if the wife needs to. . Doug
I'm a solo full-timer, I too thought that something under 30' would be easier to handle. Nope.. I used to have a 23 foot, 1974 Winnebago, it was a bear to drive, every large truck that passed felt like it was gonna blow me off the road. Why then did I buy a 38 footer? Because I fell in love with the layout and guess what, it is a breeze to drive. I can sit back and drive with one hand.

Oh, and I'm a 58 yo female.

I too vote for two air conditioners.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Add me to the list. Go with the 2 air's and don't worry about the length. You will not be able to tell if there's another 4 or 5 feet back there.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #14

Doug, look at the various manufacturer websites. For example Winnebago's current line up you will see all the classes of motorhomes and their price range. Link here. You can also view their earlier models here. Link here. There you will see the differences of trim levels that correspond to their costs. Even though you are not purchasing new their current trim levels date back the same for the past ten years or so.

Another decision weather it be Winnebago or another brand is what chassis do you have a preference over. For gas class A's the biggest are Ford and Workhorse.

Glad that you are doing investigative work.