Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
rpk

A/C won't stop!

My rig is 12 years old. The rear Duo Therm compressor will not turn off. One night it just kept groaning after freezing up. I can shut off the fan, and the fan responds in "auto", but the compressor keeps going. The only way to shut it down is with the breaker.

I suspect a starting relay that is welded shut, but don't know where to look for it. Inside or outside? Replaceable by a submarine engineer?

TIA for any advice.

Subsailor
rpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Actually, I suspect low freon and now a bad compressor..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine did that to me once last year. I went up on the roof, removed the cover and banged on the compressor with my fist. Been fine since then. Don't know if it will work for you but it was a simple solution and it is always satisfying to beat on something that won't hit back.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
I agree with a stuck relay. If you can turn the switch to off the compressor should shut down as well as the fan. If you need to trip a circuit breaker then it points to a relay.

Martin
Old 12-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Same problem with the condensor fan on ours, it never shuts off.
Checked it out and it is the relay. Did some searching and I guess there are a few units that have that problem. Our unit is a RVAC two-stage basement unit.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Actually, I suspect low freon and now a bad compressor..
the freezing part can be due to low freon but not the fact he cant shut it off has no bearing on freon content. However if he shuts off the fan and the compressor continues to run it will freeze up
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #7

Most rv compressors are hooked to the thermostat this could just be stuck an needs to be replaced. Does it have wall controls or are they self contane in the unit it self
Andycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycamper View Post
Most rv compressors are hooked to the thermostat this could just be stuck an needs to be replaced. Does it have wall controls or are they self contane in the unit it self
i do beleive in all logical context all RV AC systems are hooked to thermostats
and the OP says the fan shuts off via the stat so as i view things the stat is working
Old 12-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
the freezing part can be due to low freon but not the fact he cant shut it off has no bearing on freon content. However if he shuts off the fan and the compressor continues to run it will freeze up
Didnt see where it ran after he turned it off in the original post..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Didnt see where it ran after he turned it off in the original post..

I can shut off the fan, and the fan responds in "auto", but the compressor keeps going. The only way to shut it down is with the breaker.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #11

Had this very thing happen at the sticks and bricks. It was a stuck relay. Contacts had arced and stuck. Keeps the evaporator as a solid block of ice. Your relay is probably located on top on the coach under the AC cover.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Mine did that to me once last year. I went up on the roof, removed the cover and banged on the compressor with my fist. Been fine since then. Don't know if it will work for you but it was a simple solution and it is always satisfying to beat on something that won't hit back.
I think this is the best place to start....there could well be something stuck in there and whaling on it might jar it loose, as it evidently did for Nick.

Side (though not insignificant) benefit to this approach:

It'll teach that thing who's boss- and sometimes that's all it takes to bring inanimate objects in to line.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote